“First time back to CA since moving, picked a great place to stay.”

The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Little Elm, Texas
“First time back to CA since moving, picked a great place to stay.”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I had not been in the hotel in over 22 years and never since they changed ownership. The people working there were very friendly, the rooms were great, loved the bed and loved the pillows even more. Actually wanted to take one, but, I am not a thief. The restaurant was really good and the breakfast was perfect.

Next time I go back home, this is where I am staying, if the rates don't go up.

1 Thank Tom S
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Considering your last stay with us was over 22 years ago, I'm delighted to hear that you still experienced friendly service and enjoyed a comfortable stay. Now that you're back in California, I hope you get another chance to stay with us again soon!

Best,
Ronnie Torres, Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Ladera Ranch, California
Reviewed 28 February 2014

After seeing the good reviews on this hotel, we decided to book a room here on a recent trip to Orange County. It is an old hotel that is being remodeled (badly in need of it), and I can confirm the complaint about the hard and lumpy mattresses.

When we got up we discovered a bed bug crawling on our clothes that were draped over a chair from the night before. We captured the bed bug and took it to our county agricultural department for a positive identification, and they confirmed that it was a bed bug.

We contacted the hotel management to let them know that they needed to fumigate the room / hotel, but they accused us of bringing in the bed bug. County Public Health informed us that they had received other complaints regarding bed bugs at the Hills Hotel.

2 Thank BJR1
I'm shocked and alarmed to learn that you found a bed bug in your room. We take the health and safety of our guests very seriously, so I want to investigate the matter right away. I apologize to hear that you didn't enjoy our brand new mattress.

Hope to hear back from you soon,
Buckeye, Arizona
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here over Valentine's Day Weekend. The hotel is conveniently located near the freeway. Parking was easy and there was plenty of space in the lots. The front staff greeted us warmly and got us checked in quickly. The lobby was beautifully designed and the lobby bathrooms were lovely.

We had a newly renovated room which was nice and modern. I was really impressed with the design of the room and thought it was well executed. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. It was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. The bathroom was clean for the most part (a few stains on the door) and featured the same cool modern design of the room and was very well lit. The shower, on the other hand, was odd. It was a modern walk-in showers with no full door or curtain. I've used showers like these before and typically they are spacious and deep so that no water gets outside of the shower. These, however, were very small which means you will have a very wet bathroom floor if you aren't careful. The floor of the shower was bumpy to provide a massage for the feet. There were no handles or low ledges to hold on to while showering. Hopefully you don't need to balance on one foot for any reason. Maybe to shave your legs, pumice stone some dry skin off your feet, or in my case, you have a broken toe and can't put any weight on your injured foot. In an effort to be modern, I think some practicality was sacrificed.

The hotel was extremely noisy. We stayed on the 2nd floor directly above the pool. There were several families in the hotel that weekend with their children. Their children might as well have been in my room with me because that is what it sounded like when they were at the pool. Also, it sounded like someone was drilling all day. Maybe construction wasn't done yet? The doors to the rooms were also unnecessarily loud. I have never heard doors slam so aggressively. I think maintenance must have been doing something on my floor because for about an hour all I heard was nonstop, crazy loud door slamming. During the night I was woken up every 2 hours by noises throughout the hotel. We didn't have much peace and quiet.

The internet is complimentary, but it kept fading in and out all day.

We had the buffet brunch at the hotel restaurant which was good. There were the usual offerings of bacon, eggs, pastries, etc... The staff did a good job making sure the food did not run out. Our waiter was very attentive and provided excellent service.

Overall, it is a nice hotel that has made a lot of great improvements. But due to the noise, I would be wary of staying here again. It seems other reviewers have not had the same problems with noise. Perhaps it was just a perfect storm for us that weekend. Requesting a room away from the pool, though, would be beneficial.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor away from the pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hi Carmen,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us during Valentine's Day Weekend. I'm honored to know you thought your bed was the most comfortable hotel bed you've ever slept in. I'm also glad to know you experienced friendly and helpful service from the moment you checked in. I sincerely apologize, though, for the noise you experienced. I completely understand how uncomfortable that can be. We weren't doing any construction that weekend, so I'm surprised you heard drilling. As you know, Valentine's weekend is particularly busy for us. I assure you our rooms are normally much more quiet. If you have any suggestions on how we can decrease the noise heard from rooms, please let me know.

Best,
Monterey, California
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Very nice facility. Newly remodeled rooms, great beds and pillows. Excellent, accommodating staff. On site restaurant and bar nice with a good menu and food. Bartender is great. She remembers everyone and their likes! Front staff very customer service trained. Small ice buckets and ice and vending machines not on every floor. Maybe after remodel completed. Would definitely stay again.

1 Thank LMonterey
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you so much for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted to hear that from our bar to our front desk, you experienced personable and helpful service. It's also nice to know you appreciate all the work we've done to remodel our entire interior. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

All the best,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights while attending a wedding held at the same venue. The staff are friendly and professional. Merci beaucoup Stéphane pour un accueil chaleureux.

Breakfast is good, there's a variety of pastries/scones. However, I would have preferred simple plain sliced bread or croissants as what was on offer was too sweet for me.

The food served at the wedding was fantastic.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ozjaber
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thanks so much for recommending us! I'm so glad to hear you had such a relaxing and peaceful stay. I'll be sure to let the entire team know you appreciated their friendly and professional service. Hope you get a chance to visit Laguna Hills again soon!

Best wishes,
Santa Paula, California
Reviewed 18 February 2014

It was calm and pleasant. We arrived on a Friday evening we had the opportunity to listen to jazz music while we sat on the 2nd floor where they have couches to sit and have drinks. I thought they where going to say something to us and they didnt.

1 Thank Elsa A
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thanks Elsa! I'm glad you had a calm and pleasant experience. Next time you're in the mood for cocktails and jazz, be sure to visit!

All the best,
Yucaipa, California
Reviewed 18 February 2014

A little more upscale than other Choice hotels brands. You can tell they have been completing upgrades since acquiring the property. Staff was friendly and attended to our needs and didn't just show a map to our room but actually came out from behind the desk and directed us where to park and where the door was to the hallway for our room.

Rooms were nice and clean and the restaurant was clean and friendly and the food was good. Service was a little slow in the restaurant but that could be because there were alot of room service requests and we were not in a hurry.

Only complaint was that since there were only double beds and not a queen size bed (at least) for rooms that slept 4 people. The beds were comfy but there was plenty of room for the queens in the room.

Room Tip: some rooms may have freeway noise since the hotel is adjacent to interstate 5
1 Thank SeahawkFan226
Thanks so much for recommending us! We've put in a lot of work renovating our entire interior, so it's nice to know you recognize and appreciate it. I'll be sure to let the staff know you appreciated their friendly and helpful service as well. Looking forward to your next stay with us!

Take care,
Best Western Plus Irvine Spectrum Hotel
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!