The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
San Francisco Bay Area
“A faded star.”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

This used to be a nice hotel that we would stay at every year but, sadly, it has declined over the past few years.

Even though our key packets were ready at check-in--sitting there waiting for us--the staff was very slow to check us in.

The lobby smelled musty, and the elevators and hallways reeked of perfumey cleaning solution, as if they were trying to mask other odors.

The rooms are large enough. Our room smelled strongly of mold. It was so overpowering that we got instant sinus problems and headache. Our colleague sat at the pool for fresh air and to clear his sinuses, only to return to his room to have it worsen.

We heard a dribbling sound from the bathroom. On inspection, there was a panel on the ceiling above the shower head that, out of nowhere, just started leaking. It dribbled water non-stop, and was not a sound that could be ignored. I couldn't imagine taking a shower the next day with that thing dropping water (or whatever liquid that was) all over us. The hotel offered to call maintenance, but we asked for a different room, which they should have just offered in first place--that would've been the smart customer service move. The new room also reeked of mold and impacted our sinuses. Mold is obviously inherent in this hotel.

The bed was comfortable, and had non-feather pillows. The lamp on each nightstand had a built-in power outlet, making it easy for each side of the bed to conveniently charge a phone while sleeping.

The shower is a tub combo. The shower tile grout could use a good scrubbing as it was moldy, and the sink faucet handles were severely moldy.

The bathroom had no hook anywhere, so if you have a toiletry bag to hang, you're SOL. A simple wall or door hook would do. There's a countertop magnifying mirror, which is great for shaving or applying makeup, but only if you're face is at counter height--great for someone three-feet tall; a wall-mounted mirror would be much more practical.

WiFi was free and strong. There was a safe in the dresser, for those who care.

Parking was free in their large, open-air lot.

The restaurant had no patrons at dinner, which was a worrisome sign. It also smelled musty. The food was just OK.

We'll definitely look for another property the next time we're in the area, as none of us really care to stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Rooms Division Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
I'm disappointed to hear that you and your colleague didn't enjoy your visit more. I can assure you that our maintenance team is updating and renovating diligently, and any leaks or issues you may find we'd want to take care of right away. Also, we've never heard complaints of mold before, so this is a bit concerning. Do you have any other allergies? Either way, I'll certainly look further into this.

I hope that you all had a fun and relaxing time around Laguna Hills. The next time you make the trip from San Francisco, we'd be happy to welcome you back in. I know that with our excellent guest care, we could really knock it out of the park for you.

Ronnie Torres, Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Garden Grove
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I travel to Laguna Hills twice a week and always stay at The Hills Hotel. Staff are always great and they take good care of me. The hotel has great rooms especially the renovated rooms! I will see you next week! Thank you for everything!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the Superior rooms!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
There's nothing we love more than hearing "home away from home" -- thank you for sharing your kind words! We look forward to seeing you in for many more visits to come.

Riverside, California
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Best Hotel I have ever been in. Costumer Service is great and everyone is very friendly and professional. My room was extremely quiet and with two awesome beds. I slept very good. The restaurant is good and service is friendly there too.. just great!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
What a lovely review, Annie -- thank you for sharing your experience with us! It sounds like you had a great time in Laguna Hills, which is wonderful. The next time you visit the area, we'd love to have you stay with us.

Best,
USA
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Nightmere started as soon as I walked into the room. The safe wasnt bolted down. No batteries in the remotes. Although the room was "new" you can tell the put new stickers over old Holiday Inn signs. Room had no tissue. A/C didnt work. Fridge was off and empty. Pool was sad and lonely. Worst of all at 11PM there was a woman screaming from room 208. I called the desk and they asked me what to do!?!?! Agent said, "Should I call 911 or what?" She ended up sending a houseman. Failed! This place needs a manager who knows how to run a hotel, not a MOTEL!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
I'm shocked that you were so disappointed in your stay. First and foremost, guest safety is a top priority, which is why our team asked if they should call for additional help. To clarify, we would never ask you how to handle the situation. Our team is highly trained on how to proceed with noise violations, and I'm glad that this was taken care of right away.

As for the other aspects of your stay, I wish we would have had the chance to take care of these issues right away. Above all, we want you to feel comfortable, so we would have sent someone to take care of your AC and TV remote right away. The last thing we want is our guests to leave unsatisfied, so I sincerely apologize we missed the opportunity to improve your experience before you left.

Laguna Hills
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Everything was fine, but nothing exceptional. Staff was welcoming. Beds were comfortable. Decor was old - could use some upgrading, particularly in bathroom. Overall style is glitzy. I can't recommend the in-hotel restaurant.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have an exceptional stay with us. While some hotels may be fine with average, we strive for perfection. That's why we're always upgrading and improving our rooms.

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Laguna Hills. The next time you visit the area, we hope to welcome you back in!

Take care,
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was my second year staying at The Hills Hotel. A colleague recommended it because it's near our office, and I was coming in for a day for meetings. As I made my reservation this second year I had a vague memory of not being impressed with the hotel the year before, but my colleague's recommendation led me to try it again.

Once again, I was less-than-impressed. Though the staff are helpful, the bed was comfortable, and the TV in the room was great, the overall feel of the hotel isn't pleasant. It's dark and dreary in nearly every area of the building. The attempt at glitz and glamour in the decor feels kind of cheap and false, calling to my mind The Beverly Hillbillies. The electronic photos that line the hallway on the first floor don't all work properly, so the flashing of the screens is nearly seizure-inducing.

The fitness room is a converted hotel room, and it offers very little equipment--a few cardio machines only--and no water dispenser. Don't choose this hotel over another because it offers a fitness room.

I did sleep well, and the service was good. So overall, I'm giving it an average rating. But if aesthetics in important to you, I'd recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
I'm sorry to hear that you weren't more impressed on your second stay with us, Debbie.I know I already spoke with you over the weekend regarding this but I wanted to respond again here on TripAdvisor.

I'm glad to hear that our team took excellent care of you. The next time you visit your office near Laguna Hills, we'd be happy to welcome you back in.

Take care,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The overall impression of the property is very elegant! It hits you from the moment you drive up to the door. The lighting throughout the commons areas is a throwback to the Golden Age ... but that's where it ends. The lounge and dining rooms were uncomfortably dark, which detracted from an otherwise great experience. I expected the menu to be overpriced, but not to the extent it was, especially considering the portion sizes. However, they have a VERY talented chef staff, and the carrot ginger soup was to die for! Their pastry chef should be required to register as a deadly weapon! (that's a good thing, but not if one is trying to lose weight :) ).

I was there as part of a 3 day business class, and the service from the banquet waiter assigned to us was beyond spectacular. This man kept everything stocked while keeping dirty dishes cleared, and did it all without interrupting our class. Unless one made an attempt to actually see him working, you never knew he was there. Job Well done!

The bedroom furniture is not comfortable. The room I was in has a couch and a lounge chair, both of which have the backs slanted back so far that it is impossible to comfortably sit on either one. The ergonomically correct desk chair was broken - every time I sat down it rocked all the way back to the point where I felt like I was going to fall over. I had to sit on the edge in order to use the desk. I understand that things break, but at these prices, there is no reason to have left that kind of broken equipment in a guest room. Someone, somewhere in the chain, did not do a good job communicating.

The mattress was as hard as stone, and the pillows, while plentiful, were way too soft. I woke every morning with a crick in my neck, because it was impossible to get comfortable.

All the staff was extremely friendly, especially the housekeeping staff in the hallways. The room itself was overlooking the 5 expressway, but I would have never known that if I hadn't looked out the window to see it, that's how quiet the room is. Also, I couldn't hear any traffic in the halls at all.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mackey324
Ronnie_Torres, Owner at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for sharing those details about your visit, Mackey. While I'm thrilled to hear that our team took excellent care of you throughout your stay, I'm sorry that the same couldn't be said about our furniture. You're right -- there must have been a miscommunication about the chair in your room, because those details are normally not missed. I appreciate you letting me know.

I hope you had a nice time visiting the Laguna Hills area. The next time you come by California from the Midwest, we'd love to welcome you back in to our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Best Western Plus Irvine Spectrum Hotel
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!