The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
  • Pool
Good 3.5/5
Good 3.5/5
  • Pool
All reviewsmission viejolaguna beachsouth orange countybeautiful lobbyfreeway sidefront desk stafffirst floorbit datedquiet roomconvenient locationeasy accessmini fridgenice staydana pointsouthern californiafree parkingwedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Location was the prime reason we stayed here, wanted to be close to the restaurant up the hill, Villa Roma, for the World Cup soccer game. Hotel is advertised as being luxurious, however, there is only 1 ice machine, located on the 1st floor, we were on the 4th, so quite a trek each time. Also, the in-room guide indicated there were pay per view films, called reception to ask how to access, was told "we don't have pay per view." I said "it's listed in your hotel guide," staff just apologized again. No extra cups in room for water either and restaurant is closed on Sunday evenings, for no good reason I could find. Swimming pool has no spa/hot tub! On the plus side, staff was very nice, lobby is fine, but if you are truly looking for luxury, you can do better. Location is still the best, close to freeway, nice neighborhood.

Room Tip: View of the pool is nice from 4th floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ronnie_Torres, Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hello Gataroja,

I would like to begin my reply with an apology for all the inconvenience you experienced during your most recent stay. We will make sure to make improvements based on your feedback. Yes, we do not have a spa/hot tub at the hotel for now but I'm happy to inform you that that is one of our top priorities and hopefully it will be available soon. Also, thank you so much for finding our location and neighborhood great! Thank you!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

First the pluses - Bed is comfy, room is clean, food is good, room service is quick and all staff is very nice.

This is my second stay at this location, There have been renovations I dont enjoy. The shower dont not have a full door or curtain and water gets all over the floor, and if you shower with the door open it will set the smoke alarm off. VERY SCARY. Parking is challenging at night if you prefer a spot closer to the hotel.

1  Thank trkbell
Ronnie_Torres, Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hello trkbell,

Thank you so much for your review and I'm glad to hear that you had a great stay once again! Also, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced during your most recent stay. We will make sure to address your concerns and get it resolved immediately. I hope you will give us another chance to provide you with another great service. Thank you!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Great time! We had business meetings here at the hotel and the staff was very attentive. Ruben made the whole weekend with his dedication and support. Everyone was friendly and professional, and the entire place was CLEAN!! We had read reviews complaining about freeway noise. Not so! There are double windows and I heard nothing. Lovely bathrooms and beds! I would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel looks nice but the devil is in the details. My shower set off my smoke alarm due to the lack of a bath fan. When I called the desk about it they sent the front desk rep and not a maintenance rep. The desk rep let me know that I needed to leave the bathroom door shut and not open it until the steam has dissipated. Sorry but I'm not waiting in the bathroom for an hour because you didn't install a bath fan. The next problem was my A/C. It flooded the carpet in my room. Apparently the contractor they hired to renovate this hotel did not get the proper inspections done or the city inspector was incompetent. Lastly I ordered a burger off their in room service menu. I know that hotel food is not always the best but the burger was not even on par with the fast food joints.

If you are looking for a quick place to sleep this hotel will do but if you are looking for the luxury they advertise this isn't the place for you.

Hi Dustin H,

Please allow me to apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at our hotel. Please let me know the room number you stayed in so we can inspect the exhaust fan and A/C in the room. For the time being, We will thoroughly re-inspect each rooms in making sure everything is functional and fix any equipment that needs to be fixed. I want to make your stay right so please give me a call anytime at 949 586 5000 ext. 142. I'm looking forward to hear back from you! Thank you Dustin!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

A wonderful location and a comfortable hotel. The staff is amazing and always has a smile.
Would like to see complimentary coffee in the lobby but I usually ask for more from the staff and they are always willing to give me more.

• Stayed: June 2014