The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Los Angeles, California
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have stayed here three times and each visit has been good. The rooms are well decorated and clean and the beds are comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This last visit we had breakfast in the resturant and it was good and fairly priced. The room prices are reasonable. I recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Diane G
Ronnie_Torres, Manager at The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hello Diane G.,

Thank you so much for the great review! We are very happy and proud to be at your service! We are looking forward to your next visit here in Laguna Hills!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family and I chose this hotel blindly for part of our vacation in southern California. We wanted to be close to the beach for swimming and the art festivals in Laguna Beach.

The location was perfect, the staff wonderful, the pricing reasonable, and the property / amenities fabulous. I do have 2 gripes.

A minor gripe is the restaurant. Not the quality of the food - I never tried it. After paying $3.00 for a cup of coffee to get the day started, I decided to not even bother looking at the menu or having a meal there. I don't mind paying $$ or $$$ pricing for good meals - I do mind having my pocket picked for a cup of joe.

Now, the real problem: HORRIBLE internet service. If you don't intend to go online during your stay, run don't walk to this hotel. We loved it! But if you will need to keep in touch with the office via email, find another hotel.

The pathetically slow connection (constantly over the course of some 5 days) rendered internet access useless. The problem was compounded by the uncaring attitude of the service provider Valuepoint Networks Inc. They were unable and/ or unwilling to fix the problem (I suspect the router needs to be replaced). I specifically requested an update via a returned phone call from a supervisor so I could plan my work, and of course no one bothered to call me.

The hotel front desk staff seemed very concerned but were of no actual help resolving the issue. So:

Hotel: A+
Restaurant: D
Internet: F-

Room Tip: Enjoyed our 2nd floor poolside room.
Hi Travels_with_JLB,

I am very sorry to hear about our internet connection. One of our access points was not working at that time but I'm happy to inform you that we have replaced the unresponsive access point. I really apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. Also, thank you so much for finding our location perfect and wonderful staff. Please let me know if there's anything I can assist you in the near future! Thank you so much!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 11 August 2014

From our arrival until our departure every staff member that we encountered was friendly and helpful.

We stayed 4 nights and enjoyed the pool each day.

The business center kept us in touch back home.

Everything was excellent. Also, the Heidelberg Pastry, and Villa Roma should not be missed.

Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

It's right next to the freeway, so don't expect to be able not hear that at any time of day. The bar closes at 10.30pm, which is a missed opportunity for the business travellers. The gym is also lacking with only a couple of treadmills and cycles to use. Breakfast is hit and miss, with good eggs one day, but rubbery the next. Rooms are kept clean and tidy, though have very loud air con (probably to drown out the freeway)

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for only one night !!! In fact is very close to the highway .The hotel is good ! Air cond is old but works ! Room is good and clean there is a nice pool area ! They don't have any kind complimentary breakfast but they have restaurant !!! Staff is very friendly !!!

Stayed July 2014
Fresno, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This unique situation as I was staying at this hotel which was 10 miles from the conference center in which I was attending a four day seminar. The room was booked through Priceline so I had no choice of location. I arrived at the hotel at 11 PM exhausted and tired from day of travel.
Front desk was pleasant but uneventful received my key and directions to my room. When I inquired about coming back to park my car I was told that there was a backdoor that was close to the room that I might want to drive there. I did just that, the hotel was full from other activities I did find a parking place an had to carry my luggage to my room. for the next four days I never visited any part of the hotel but the back door and my room.

Room Tip: UNite in the back are easy to get in and out from back door and parking is very close.Best to be on...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
badmaru
Reviewed 5 August 2014

If you're looking for a place that is convenient from the I-5, then this hotel would be great. It is not next to the beaches, so for those looking to be close to the shore, look elsewhere. Or if you don't mind a 11 mile drive to say Cactus Point, then this hotel would be fine. The hotel used to be a Holiday Inn, so it's not super fancy, but does have a pool, restaurant, fitness center and a business center. The fitness center is very basic. It only has cardio equipment.

The check in and out process was very easy and the front desk was nice.

As for the room, it was larger than one would think. The king bed room I was in had s small sleeper couch and a wet bar area next to the bathroom. The wet bar had a small sink, microwave, coffee maker and an additional refrigerator. There was a refrigerator in the area beneath the tv where there was also a safe. If you're staying there for a wedding or something more long term, all the refrigerator space is great! They provided a robe for your use in the room as well as a pair of disposable slippers. Some other travelers posted room pictures that were nicer than the room I stayed in - perhaps it was an upgraded or updated room. The bathroom in my room needed to be updated though. They did not provide a towel for the floor when you're done with your shower and no bar soap for the shower, just for the sink. Ladies, if you want good toiletries, bring your own. They do have make up mirror and an in-wall hairdryer.

For those who like to be connected, this hotel offers free wifi, which is a nice perk.

Room Tip: Corner room seems to be larger and quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Best Western Plus Irvine Spectrum Hotel
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
#1 of 10 in Lake Forest

Been to The Hills Hotel, an Ascend Collection by Choice Hotels? Share your experiences!