“Beautiful hotel in upscale area near Laguna Beach”

Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Laguna Woods
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel definitely lived up to the many glowing reviews on TripAdvisor. Although it is not on the beach, it is in a very upscale community that is convenient to everything in the area. The lovely decor was like something you would find in a much more expensive resort hotel. There was always a guest or two lounging comfortably by the fireplace in the lobby or chatting in the gorgeous pool area. The hot tub was truly hot (and with great jets!), and was a pleasure to enjoy under the full moon in the evening. Bathrooms had granite counters, the beds were fabulously comfortable, and everything was spotless. Breakfast is not to be missed with made-to-order omelets and other specialty items. The chef made the breakfast room feel like a five-star restaurant. The dignified yet very personable manager even came to every table with coffee and to converse with guests. The entire staff is to be commended on their outstanding customer service. My only disappointment is that because we rarely travel to Southern California, we will not have many opportunities to stay at an Ayres Hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel and, as other reviewers stated, cannot say enough good things about the Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Sportymom74 -

It was such an honor having you as our guest. Thank you for your very kind words and for sharing your experience at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods with fellow travelers. Nothing pleases us more than to know we have provided the very best in service and accommodations to our guests, so I am thrilled to hear that your stay with us was so exceptional. I work with a wonderful team of people who take great pride in creating the best possible guest experience and will be sure to share your kind comments with them so they know they are appreciated. A guest recommendation is the highest honor a hotel can achieve so your enthusiastic review is greatly appreciated. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Many thanks,

Reviewed 9 April 2012

Although you don't get the stunning views of the beach. The staff and amenities are too good to pass up. A breakfast that is simply the best. Happy hour that is not to be missed.
I travel for business a lot and their beds are the ones I can count on getting a good night sleep on.
Since this place is kind of hidden, it helps keep the families away. I like a nice quiet hotel where I don't have screaming kids up and down the hallways. Or bouncing off the walls in the rooms.
The pool and hot tub are so very clean and nice. A great seating area in the patio also.
You must see the old photos of the streets around that area in their hallway. And meet new friends at Happy Hour sitting in front of the fireplace.
Don't forget to bring a book to exchange in the seating area. Bring or leave a book. I have found many new authors there.
The price is average to good for the area. They have free shuttle service and the staff - I can't say enough good about them.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker, get a room on the bottom floor that opens into the courtyard. My co-worker smo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Dear Kathy -

Thank you for your very kind review and for your continued patronage. What a treat to know that you continually find the accommodations inviting, the location convenient, and the weekday Manager's Reception conducive to discovering new friends and authors. There is nothing more satisfying than knowing a guest has had the best possible stay at our hotel time and again. We appreciate you sharing your positive experience on TripAdvisor and hope to welcome you again very soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Friendliness of the front desk staff varied from person to person. I recall Nick and Joy being very courteous and friendly. They both were very engaged in assuring I had a good experience.

Quality of the breakfast seemed to suffer greatly on Saturday and Sunday. The impression I got was that breakfast is scaled back on these two days due to the hotel being busier. If this is the case then I would expect additional staff provided to the breakfast area on these two days, yet instead there were still only two people and they were not as friendly as during the week.

Maid staff seemed to do the absolute minimum during our stay.

We would have utilized the limo service but it seems to be pretty useless. We were told they require 24 hours advance notice and only go to the mall, Irvine Spectrum, and the airport. Other hotels offer limo service that will take you to any destination within an 'x' number of mile radius of the hotel. This would be more useful. In addition, my flight was an early morning flight which required me to be at the airport by 5:30AM. The limo service was not available at this early hour of the morning. Why could I not get a limo to take me to the airport if I had to give 24 hour notice anyway?

Rooom was a double queen with the divider which gave a feeling of privacy. Would have been nice if there had been a tv for each bed instead of just one in the middle.

Finally, I feel that the Ayres hotel is a good value if booked at a discounted rate. However, I feel there are better options available when comparing it's full price to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The hotel was very nice. The staff were always friendly and attentive. I absolutely loved the variety of items on the breakfast menu. Everything from cold cereal to omelettes. The room was just right and I slept like a baby every night.
I have to go back for business this summer and will stay here again.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

My corporate HQ office is in Irvine, so I find myself coming to the area several times a year for weekly stays. My hotel of choice is the Ayres on El Toro.

The staff is always friendly and helpful (Nick, Marilyn, Asif) whenever I am checking in or out.

The rooms are very comfortable. On this stay, I was in room 362 which has a king size bed along with a couch. There is a microwave and small fridge. There is a sink area outside the bathroom. There is plenty of walking space in the room even with a work desk, coffee table, and another small table with two chairs.

The rooms are very quiet as well. On this stay, there was a family across the hall with a little baby. I could hear crying when I was in the hallway, but nothing when I entered my room and closed the door.

There are laundry rooms in case you need it. ($2 for soap, $2 for the washer, and $2 for the dryer).

There is a breakfast buffet room where they have complimentary breakfast every day. This includes make to order eggs MON-FRI as well as scrambled eggs, potatoes, and sausage/bacon everyday. Fabiola, Alex, and Aida do everything they can to make breakfast a pleasant experience. Besides the hot food, they have cold cereals, a waffle maker, freshed cut fruits, pastries, toast, and oatmeal along with oranges, apples, and bananas. You will also see the manager, Vince Neale come through with fresh pots of coffee asking cutomers if they want refills.

There is a nice lounge area with a natural gas fireplace to sit and relax.

Monday through Thursday, they offer a reception from 5 to 7 pm with complimentary beer, wine, and soda along with chips and sometimes cheeses, fruits, and vegetables.

All around the hotel halls and public rooms are very interesting paintings. So many of them are of Venice that when I went to Venice last fall, everything seemed familiar to me.

The building itself is in a U-shape forming a courtyard filled with tables and chairs. In the middle is a small pool and a jacuzzi that is gated and fenced for safety.

I find the location convenient. From the hotel down El Toro, it is only a 1 and 1/2 miles to the 73 toll road and 6 miles from the PCH in Laguna Beach. In the other direction on El Toro, it is about 2 miles to the 5. Before that is the Laguna Hills Mall with a lot of restaurants inside and out.

The hotel is located in Town Centre with a Hometown Buffet, Sushi Wok, and Sub shop restaurants. Across the street on El Toro is a Carl's Jr., Rite Aid, and a Stater Brothers grocery store.

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. I would never hesitate coming back again and again.

1  Thank ct-cruisers
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed here for three weeks. The rooms are very nice. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The hot breakfast is a plus, very complete with omelettes, fresh fruit, sweets, coffee, juices, etc. The sweet smell of freshly made cookies annonced the evening reception from Monday thru Thursday. The location of the hotel is perfect. Close to the malls, nice restaurants, some even at walking distance and just about 10 mins to Laguna Beach. I could not resist the swimming pool and the jacuzzi either. I definately will stay again here with my family or work next time.

Room Tip: I would recommend the double bed with the in between wall. It has a spa tub.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Salma37 -

Thank you very much for allowing us to host you for your extended stay in the area. It is wonderful to hear that you found everything from the accommodations to the location to the complimentary full American breakfast satisfying and that your overall stay was a comfortable one. Nothing pleases us more that to know we have provided the best possible hotel experience for our guests. Thank you again.

Vince Neal

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Everything was excellent, from the pleasant receptionists, to the room, to the scrumptuous breakfast. If you need a place to stay around Orange County, look no further and stay here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear AfrTraveler -

Thank you for your very kind review and for choosing our hotel for your stay. I am pleased that we were able to make such a strong and exceptional impression with our service and various amenities. We take great pride in providing the best possible hotel experience for our guests, so it is wonderful to know that our efforts are appreciated. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of the team here at Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Woods
#14 of 23 in Laguna Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods? Share your experiences!