“very disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lake Arrowhead
Riverside,CA
“very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

I booked a cabin for two nights and, based on the website tour, was expecting a pleasant getaway. The cabin, which wasn't ready at check-in time, was hot and had a musty, unpleasant smell. The upstairs had a minimally functional wall air-conditioning unit, which did not help at all. The shower reeked of mildew, while the rest of the cabin also smelled, though less intensely than the shower. We were refunded the cost of the second night, but they refused to refund our money for the first night. We left the first evening without spending the night. Frankly, it was worth the $250.00 we lost NOT to stay there.

• Liked — The staff were friendly
  • Disliked — The smell, lack of air conditioning, and general lack of comfort.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank samuel777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Lancaster,CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2007

I just returned from an overnight stay at the Saddleback Inn. I booked it because of the close proximity to my son's boy scout camp. It looked quaint from the outside, and the staff at the front desk was very nice. I was hoping for a nice luxury type bed and bath experience for the price of $190. a night.
It was difficult to carry luggage to the room (multiple steps- no elevator), and when I opened the door I was hit by a very musty smell. The room was small and the floor creaked. Actually, the floor really sloped, the back half of the room was definitley tipping downward. I thought it was my imagination, but when I looked at the ceiling it was showing signs of stress and the tile in the bathroom was cracked in a strange way on the wall and on the floor. I actually had second thoughts about filling the bathtub because I thought that the excess weight of the water might be a bad thing. I filled it halfway and nothing moved so I thought it was probably OK. The property seemed clean and the decor was a bit outdated but would have been charming, if it wasn't for the crooked feeling. We had gotten there very late and were tired so we just delt with it.
The bathtub did start running with rusty water, but it wasn't a big problem. The shower an spa tub was nice and big and the water had great pressure.
After midnight, we had neighbors whose noise woke us up. They were just coming in to their room next door, but we could hear every word. These are old (historic) rooms and there must not be very insullated against the noise. We could also hear our neighbors on the other side of us. Without getting graphic, let me just say that the beds sqeaked in all of the rooms around us, and we could hear them all! Not good for a "romantic" type place!Very amusing to my 14 and 17 year old's who cracked up at various times of the night and early morning when they heard the noises from our neighbors, but not fun for a mom who really needed some sleep. The danish and coffee in the morning we a disappointment (lukewarm coffee and cheap packaged danish.) I'm not sure of what else is available in the Lake Arrowhead area, but I will try somewhere else next year.

• Liked — great shower/bath
  • Disliked — crooked floor/ odor
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank elli55555

Travellers are raving about these Lake Arrowhead hotels

port st lucie, florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2007

I lived in the area and always housed my family there for vacations. Snow days sometimes stayed so i would not have to drive home. Great rooms, spa tubs, nice people. Always coffee at desk. Able to walk to village to eat, shop and hang out. Really nice owners and staff. Always cared about my needs. Once stayed was sick and made sure I was ok.

Cute porches to sit on, walk to anything. Always was clean, hot water, tv hbo and felt secure staying there. I stayed there over a period of 5 years and never had a negative.

My kids with babies left the rooms totaled and they never complained. The reason I like it to sum it up is that I always felt like i was staying somewhere special for a very small amt. of money.

• Liked — safe, clean, upscale, location very close to shops , great places to eat 1 min away lake arrowhead
  • Disliked — that i did not get to stay there more often
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank portstlucielady
CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2007

My husband and I chose to stay at the Saddleback Inn because they are a pet friendly hotel. Upon arriving we were impressed with the outside appearance and friendliness of the people at the desk, but things only got worse from there. Upon entering our room we were surprised at how dark the living space was. There was a living room/dining room area with only 2 small windows that were on adjacent walls. The area where we spent most of our time, the living room with fireplace, had no windows and it was dark and dreary. We then decided we would turn on the fireplace. The fire was nice and we could feel the warmth, but the ticking timer was really irratating. I understand their safety concerns, but there are other ways to take care of this problem. We've stayed in places similar to this and the timer didn't tick. When it came time to go to bed we were shocked. When we sat on the bed we heard some loud crunching noises. It sounded like the mattress was covered in plastic like parents do for their kids who wet the bed. We came to realize that the mattress was REALLY old and there was a mattress pad on the top of it that was crunchy. It was horrible. Every time one of us moved during the night we woke each other up. My husband woke up the second morning with back spasms and just got back from the chiropractor to help fix the damage done by the bed. In the morning it came time to shower. Well, they advertise their jacuzzi tub but I think it's more dangerous than anything. There are harsh steps which can be easily tripped on while trying to shower. I'm young and coordinated and I almost fell twice as I stepped back to rinse my hair. There was a 3 inch step at my heals as I stepped back. Oh, and what hotel doesn't have a coffee maker? Yes, you guess it, this one. You get coffee makers in a Motel 6, but not here and it's more expensive. When in the mountains I love curling up next to the fire with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate, coffee or tea. Well, that wasn't an option. Speaking of food, the breakfast was disgusting. We ended up eating out every morning. They buy their breakfast from Costco. It's a prepackaged danash and the coffee isn't exactly hot if you don't arrive early. On our final night, I went to turn in the fireplace and realized there were ants coming in from the wall. We weren't too concerned about it because there were only a few of them but GROSS. We let the managers know but they didn't care at all. As you can guess, we don't recommend staying here.

• Liked — It was within walking distance to The Village
  • Disliked — There is too much to complain about. Read my review.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RedPuppy
orange county
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2006

As a result of the beautiful pictures on their website, I booked a cottage for a two night romantic stay. Upon arrival the first thing I noticed was the "COMMERCIAL" location in a 7-11 parking lot ,nothing like the pictures on the website.

After checking in , we drove up a small street to our "cottage". It overlooked a dirty parking lot and noisy construction activity. Approaching the cottage we noticed large bags of garbage at the foot of the stairs leading to our room. We were beginning to get a bad feeling but the topper was when we entered the room. It was extremely small, dark, cold and uninviting. I sat down on the bed in disbelief, the mattress sank in the center, the foot and head popped up. I looked at my girlfriend, she began crying and asked "We just spent $500.00 for two nights here"? I called the office and told them of our displeasure. I was informed that we could cancel the reservation but would forfeit our $240.00 deposit. The desk clerk said that she was sorry but even if they re-rented the room we would not receive a refund. We decided the $240.00 loss was better than staying. Beware !!

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ragsdad
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2006

While staying at the Saddleback inn my care was borken into and they stole several articles. They need to have better security for those staying at the hotel. The room was over priced

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — No Security
  • Tips/Secrets — have your owne security
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank ABC-TRIP
Western U.S.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon here and had a fabulous time. The staff even gave us a bottle of sparkling cider, chocolates and a wedding card! We stayed in a lovely room which was very clean and comfortable. The room was spacious, but cozy. Well-maintained, with a clean and roomy bathroom with a nice whirpool tub. Also had a small electric fireplace (really kept it warm, it was Winter!), and a small eating nook. The furnishings were adequate, and the bed was very comfortable. Checking in and out was very easy, and there's always friendly people here to help you out. Very close and conveient to everything good in Lake Arrowhead! I would recommend this Inn to anyone!

• Liked — Beautiful Room, Great Service, Nostalgic Ambience, Very Clean, Spaciousness, Coziness
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — Secure a parking spot before evening hours..... if you can!
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled as a couple
Pine Knot Guest Ranch
#1 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Hampton Inn & Suites Highland
Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection

Been to Saddleback Inn? Share your experiences!