“Family Friendly”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lake Arrowhead
Los Angeles, California
“Family Friendly”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

If you are looking to go to the mountains with your family and you want to stay at a hotel, this is your best bet. It has a camp lodge feel to it, but now that it has become a Marriott property the atmosphere has improved. It's still a rustic hotel in the mountains, so don't think you are going to the Four Seasons.

The staff is accommodating, the spa is lovely spa and the swimming pool was redone last summer. They do have a little trouble turning over the rooms in a timely fashion and the service in the restaurant is very slow. I would suggest dining out of the hotel with your family for dinner. There are a handful of options that are family friendly and affordable.

Again...if you want to get a away for the weekend with your family this is a great option.

1 Thank Skeeter2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Bayfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The resort is a lovely property and Room 106 is on the ground floor with a large patio beside the pool. It is perfect if you like to observe the action from the comfort of your own room and the pool access is right around the corner. However, the patio is really really really hot this time of year and while the room next door had a patio umbrella and we asked for one - our requests were ignored without explanation. They were very polite at each of three requests, but no one followed up to say why one room had an umbrella and ours did not. We happened to have a sun umbrella for the beach in the car, so we made due but the patio would be much nicer to use with an umbrella. The Lake could use a few more umbrellas also as most people want them. Housekkeeping seemed to be undersaffed with some guests complaining of not getting rooms until after 5pm and our room was not serviced until 5. The fishing was fun though we caught nothing - arrange at the spa and ask for captain John. Lisa at the restuarant was a standout and the food was good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Norm S, General Manager at Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our staff and the service you received. I am disappointed that you were not able to enjoy the resort as it was intended to be. I have shared your comments with the staff and we are doing everything we can to make everyone's stay more enjoyable . Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your next stay extra ordinary.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Positives - lovely lakeside situation, great beds and large rooms, very friendly staff, nice decor

Disappointments - they seem to have trouble turning rooms around. We waited 1hr 50 after official check in time with me visiting the desk 4/5 times for an update. Reid, on the front desk resolved it really nicely for which we were grateful. In the restaurant/bar they seem to be out of ingredients - tea, raspberries, pasta dishes - quite frequently. Staff resolve it by going to get ingredients but I would have thought they would have been more on top of it. Pool was cold, in spite of assurances it was 80 degrees. Beach was closed and WiFi connection very poor, yet we were charged 20 dollars per day for beach access, pool and WiFi. Not cool to have that charged separately. Food was also not great.

My feeling is that frontline staff are very helpful and willing but the hotel needs stronger management. Lots of guests had delayed check ins which is a real pain. Nice place and people but poor value.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emilymary21
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff. I am very sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory and that you weren't able to enjoy the Resort as you should have. I can certainly understand your disappointment. I would love to discuss this with you further.

Your comments were shared with our team so that we can handle these types of situations more efficiently in the future. I do hope you give us another chance and come back soon to enjoy the Lake Arrowhead resort and Spa experience as it should be.
Lakeside, California, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay here. Upon arrival they surprised us with an upgrade to a suite with a massive in-room jacuzzi and walk in shower. We had a lake view room and thought it was beautiful. The hotel staff were really kind and helpful.

We both got massages at the spa and they were the best we have ever had. The staff of the spa was so great and really wanted us to relax. Also, there are some shops within walking distance if you need anything or forget your toothpaste like me :)

The only negative parts of our experience was there was a conference of some sort going on and they would eat breakfast right outside our room. This meant a 5:30am wake up call every morning by the set up staff clanging plates and setting up for their breakfast. Also, the mattress in our room seemed to have a car parked on one side of it before we got there because it was angled so you would roll to the edge. Other than those two things, we really thought this place was great and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
OC
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Lake Arrowhead Resort is an okay property. The staff are very friendly and they do try hard. There are many activities for kids to enjoy and keep them entertained. The grounds do need some attention, (think uneven steps, not enough lighting at night) on the other hand the staff does keep the grounds very clean. The beach is very nice, has many chairs and umbrellas. The biggest drawback is they allow dogs-all size and kinds of dogs. There were two huge dogs across the hall from us who barked a lot. We have a dog, but tend to leave her at her country club while we vacation.

Room Tip: The lake view rooms are very nice and spacious.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Your comments were shared with our team and we are working diligently on making improvements to the property. I do hope you give us another chance and come back soon to enjoy the Lake Arrowhead resort and Spa experience as it should be.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Full disclosure: I really wanted to love this property and enjoy my experience, alas, 'twas not meant to be.

After a harrowing and twisting drive from San Diego to Lake Arrowhead (don't do it if mountain roads scare you), I arrived at the Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, In summary, the experience is definitely NOT worth the sky-high prices, It's far too expensive to stay here, given the paper-thin walls, noise level, and rampant other problems. Read on for the pros and the cons:

Pro:
1) Location is nice. Some rooms have pretty views, some don't.
2) Sheets are soft.
3) Toiletries are elegant
4) Maddison and Melissa at the front desk are friendly, Charles is friendly too.
5) The BEST thing this alleged-resort has going for it is Matthew, who is a jewel of a gentleman and the nicest young man, who spends his day apologizing to disgruntled guests who are let down by the facility.
6) Pretty lobby.

Cons: (How long do you have?)
1) OVER-priced in an obscene way, Everything is price-gouged, including a $3.00 cheapo bottle of water in the hotel room, Really? This "resort" couldn't throw in a simple plastic bottle of water upon arrival into your room?

2) I specifically requested a quiet room and I got just the opposite, Room 111. Avoid it like the plague. It's in the basement, near the bar, paper thin walls and I could hear EVERY footstep, every flush, every sink usage, every shower of the elephant herd in the room above me.

3) The toilet ran every seven minutes...a form of Chinese water torture.

4) I had the pleasure of listening to the drunks get drunker all evening since there is no insulation in this so-called resort and my room was very close to the bar and patio. By 1:47 AM, I was a zombie, a very tired zombie. The next morning I was serenaded by the sounds of the boats revving up their motors, as the dock is right in front of the room, Nice? NO!

5) BIN 189 is a horrible restaurant with confused and overwhelmed staff, boring and lifeless food, reconstituted eggs and bulk pastries for breakfast, greasy and lazy food. They have a captive audience so they charge exorbitant fees for awful food and equally overwhelmed service. Dump BIN 189 into the dustbin and bring your own food and stuff your in-room refrigerator. Trust me- the food is hideous.

6) I was relocated to the second floor, on the other side of the alleged-resort, far from the drunks and the dock. I specifically requested the 3rd floor, but I was told that there were no rooms. I spent the next couple of days with a nicer view and a quieter wing, but the same herd of elephants followed me and I was tortured by a screaming infant and non-stop footsteps up above. My room literally reverberated with each foot-step overhead. The noise level thwarted me (and the guests in my party) from enjoying any rest in this purported "resort."

7) You are charged a $20.00 resort fee on top of the already-steep price tag for the privilege of staying at the alleged "resort" (another way to stick it to the guest). We didn't use any of the "services," but we still had to pay the up-charge. What a racket.

8) Upon check out, there were over $50.00 dollars of erroneous room-service charges which I had to argue to have removed. I wonder how many people just pay their bill without really looking?

9) In summary, this property is not up to speed given the potential. Clearly, there is a lack of management or poor management. They are CLEARLY under-staffed and constantly having to apologize to their (un)-valued guests. I heard this repeatedly from other guests when I waited at the front desk having to address ongoing problems at this facility. It is not at the Marriot level and it's basically a big, over-priced motel on a pretty lake. Lower your expectations and maybe all the aforementioned problems won't bother you. I felt ripped off upon conclusion of our stay.

10) I drove down the mountain, back to San Diego, exhausted from lack of sleep, and used the next day at home to catch up on rest, I encourage this property to make serious changes and address the pandemic problems with noise-pollution, un-insulated walls and ceilings, under-staffing, heinous food, price-gouging and UNREASONABLE upcharges.

11) But the "free" toiletries are nice!

Sigh....such a pity.

Room Tip: If you still want to stay here, after reading my review, INSIST on a 3rd floor room, or bring ear pl...
1 Thank Lilush14
I am sorry you were not able to enjoy the Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa as it was intended to be. I would like to speak to you directly regarding your last stay. Please call me at your earliest convenience at 909-336-1511.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We went to the resort for a family reunion on a very busy summer week-end. The drive up there is a bit harrowing, but once you arrive in the mountain resort lobby with a view of the lake, all the stress leaves you. That being said, there are some serious flaws with this resort. 1- the rooms need their carpets cleaned, 2- the sound proofing is non existent. We could clearly hear people in the hall and those with in an adjoining room through the double locked door. 3- housekeeping was under staffed. They had not even gotten to our room by 5, and seemed to have a towel shortage issue (although they were very nice). 4- they offer yoga- which is wonderful, but the yoga class is under the exercise room and the entire time, we could hear people dropping weights- a poor design for the location. 5- the restaurant offers a nice buffet breakfast, but people in our party that ordered off the menu waited over an hour to get their food, and the management was not very apologetic about this issue. It took really hounding them to get them to comp the meal, when they should have been forthright with an apology and comping.
We usually love Marriotts, but this one needs some serious help. It has the right ingredients, it is just that the final product is a failure.

Room Tip: Try to get the lakeside, top floor, with no adjoining door.
3 Thank groupert
I am very sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory and that you weren't able to enjoy the Resort as you should have. I can certainly understand your disappointment.

Your comments were shared we are working on addressing the concerns you mentioned. I do hope you give us another chance and come back soon to enjoy the Lake Arrowhead resort and Spa experience as it should be.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Arrowhead
Pine Knot Guest Ranch
Pine Knot Guest Ranch
#1 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Hampton Inn & Suites Highland

Been to Lake Arrowhead Resort and Spa, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!