La Tournerie Ferme
Nicolise(Aubas)
All reviewsgreat funshower blockoff roadsense of humourwashing machinefabulous placenothing is too much troubledog ownerspeace and tranquilitypitchesawningwoodssiterussellcitroencharlielaugh
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was our first visit to La Tournerie, and the first time we had been to France for 10 years. We made our booking with the previous owners and were not aware of the change of ownership until I emailed with a query as part of our last minute planning. Russ, the new owner, assured me that the site was everything that the previous owner had described, and he was not wrong.
We followed the directions from the website which didn't seem quite right leaving the motorway from the East, but the final section leading into Montignac and then on to the site were absolutely spot on. Follow these directions and you won't go wrong.
When we arrived at the site we were extremely impressed. It really is in the middle of open countryside with not a sound to disturb the peace (except when Russ takes one of his vehicle collection for a run!). It is so quiet that, if you hear a car engine, you look to see where it is coming from. The site is extremely tidy, grass well trimmed and pots of flowers to brighten the place up. The site is sloping, but the pitches are all level hardstandings. There are eight pitches in all, and we were fortunate enough to have one of the two "doggy" pitches which are completely fenced in so that the dog could wander around as if she were at home. Russ said that he was going to try to make a third doggy pitch.
There is a small facilities block with two WC's, two showers, plus a disabled unit with WC, basin and shower, there are two wash basins and a washing up sink. There is also a washing machine. The facilities were immaculate at all times, plenty of hot water, and nice spacious shower cubicles.
The town of Montignac is about a 10 or 15 minute drive away through the quiet deserted lanes. There are numerous paths and tracks through the woods, although we understand there are wild boar around, so not advisable for evening or night time walks. We used the vet at Montignac to administer the tapeworm treatment for the return to UK, he was very helpful, spoke good English and knew exactly what had to be done regarding Pet Passport etc. We had no hiccups coming back into the country.
The site electrical system seems to all be wired "reverse polarity" so an adapter with reversed L and N is handy. Strangely enough, the adapter that I bought in Leclerc at Sarlat that I intended to modify was already wired back to front and so corrected the site wiring! There is no wifi on the site, although I think Russ might be considering installing it. However, I got a full strength 3G signal on OrangeF which gave me a good enough internet connection for email, browsing and putting a Sainsburys order on for delivery when we got home.
All in all this is an excellent site for those wanting a quiet, peaceful location. Russ and Jayne were excellent hosts and seem to be committed to maintaining the sites high standards. I don't think too much will change, and neither does it need to. Because it is fairly remote, you can't just wander to the shop for your early morning croissants or baguettes which I always enjoy on French holidays, but that seemed a small price to pay for an otherwise first class site. The only drawback for me was a lack of shade when the weather got really hot. There are some trees but they are quite small, so don't give a lot of protection. As they get more mature this will improve, but for me, when the temperature was getting into the mid to high 30's I could have done with some respite. But then, if you go this far south in mid July I guess you have to expect it to be hot.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our first visit to La Tournerie and the Dordogne - both were fantastic. Russ was very welcoming and the site was excellently run with spotless toilet facilities. We had originally booked for 10 days but stayed on for 14 and enjoyed every minute. Russ has great sense of humour and nothing was too much trouble. We wish him, Jayne and all the family well for the future and hope things go from strength to strength.
Josie and Eric, Sheffield

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josie C
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just returned from a refreshing stay at La Tournerie. This is our 4th visit and once again was what we expected, peaceful, well run and a delight.
The new owners, Russell and Jayne are really excellent hosts. Although new to caravanning themselves they are really looking forward to running the site with enthusuiasm and passion.
Russell has a great sense of humour and a love of old 2Cv's
He listens to helpful advice from experienced caravanners on what is required and readily takes it on board.
How good it is to have a new owner who is not patronising, pompous and overbearing.
Well done both of you we wish you well in your venture. We will be back!

Malc & Chris ( La Roche, Limousin)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple