“Just OK, not great for Priority Club members”

Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Lake Forest
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Just OK, not great for Priority Club members”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I'm a Platinum Member with IHG, so I'm in Holiday Inns or an Intercontinental almost every month. Most Holiday Inns provide Priority Club members an upgraded room, or free breakfast, or something. But the Assistant Manager said that now Holiday Inn prohibits them from giving any free breakfast perks. (Not true...I'm staying now in another Holiday Inn in Orange County where I was upgraded to a suite, given free breakfast coupons for me and my wife and given free drink coupons for the bar and unlimited free bottled water.)

Whereas the Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum only gave one drink coupon per night, even though my wife was with me...and gave us nothing more. Even a tea bag wasn't complimentary. And it costs more for a smaller room than other Holiday Inns in Orange County.

Having said all that, this Holiday Inn clean and comfortable, but I will not stay here again for ALL other Holiday Inns appear to more for Priority Club members.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Kelli H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear psmccready,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. We value and appreciate all of our Platinum IHG Reward members and all feedback they provide.
IHG has recently changed their benefits as a company to make it more consistent, so it is disappointing to hear that other Holiday Inn's in the area are not following the same guide lines that are put forth by IHG, I’m sure they will be contacting them in the near future.
We are glad that you enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel and that you were comfortable during your stay. Even though you feel you would not like to join us on your next trip to Irvine, we strongly urge you to give us another shot…
On behalf of our entire staff please accept our sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations you as a Platinum Elite member during your stay with us.

Sincerly ,

Hotel Mnangement

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
ojai,ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn Irvine/Lake Forest. The entire staff is amazingly welcoming, friendly, cheerful, but most of all, super super attentive! Daily happy hour from 5pm-7pm was a great, and their wine and cheese reception a really nice plus. Pool and jacuzzi nice and clean, Aqua Restaurant and Lounge is awesome. (Shout out to Donna, Tamara and Diana!) Room was very clean and comfy with refrigerator and microwave which came in handy to reheat prior nights dinner leftovers. Location is very ideal for shopping, and plenty of restaurants less than 5 minutes away on El Toro Rd. Irvine Spectrum Center very close drive as well. All in all I have to rate this Holiday Inn as outstanding!

• Stayed February 2014
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Great location.
Fairly easy access.
Very comfortable.
A little on the small side, but you're only sleeping.
Great price through Priceline.
The pool was a little small, but it got the job done.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Kelli H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Shane M,

We are glad to hear that you had a comfortable experience here at the hotel and even though our rooms are on the smaller side you enjoyed your stay as well as the pool. We hope to see you on your next trip to the Lake Forest/Irvine area.

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay on TripAdvisor,
Alexandria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Clean, comfortable, reasonably priced...great place to stay in Orange County. Very close to many dining and shopping options, and not too far from Metrolink/Amtrak station. Parking is free and plentiful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear DDrawbar4935,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We value all of our guests comments. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Thank you!
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

My room was facing the freeway and as I checked into the room....it was so quiet I had to go to the window to make sure I was not turned around....I saw the trucks and cars speeding by but I could not hear them. The room was your basic nice room and the breakfast was a buffet and had all your basic needs for a quick breakfast. I would stay there again without question.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear GolfDave123,

We are just delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience here at the hotel and that our 4 pane glass windows are getting the job done.

We hope to see you on your next trip to the Lake Forest/Irvine area.

Thank you for your feedback and have a great day.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here for three nights on a recent business trip to California. I'm not normally a big fan of chain hotels but chose this one due to its location to the facility I was visiting in Lake Forest. Check in staff were friendly and I thought the complimentary homemade cookies were a nice touch. The room was a lot more modern than the other Holiday Inn locations that I have stayed in and as such I was pretty impressed. The complimentary wine and cheese during happy hour was another 'Brucy Bonus'. I think it's small things like that that people remember. All in all, a nice business hotel and I'd definitely stay there again when in and around the Lake Forest area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Kelli H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear mark-english1,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip Advisor. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary cookies and our Wine & Cheese reception. We hope to see you again soon.
Hollywood, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We were visiting relatives for Christmas in Laguna Beach Ca. 2013
and this hotel was 9 miles from them. Hotels closer to the beach were WAY more expensive & we were not interested in the beach.

We booked this hotel via PriceLine and we were very happy with this hotel.

The location was in a nice new area. Very close to I-5 interstate Freeway.

Very comfy bed & pillows; So much so, & being that we will be needing a new mattress soon, I took a photo of it's label. (Serta)

Microwave, Coffee maker, empty Fridge. (meaning no "gotcha" additional expenses) Watch out for the bottled water though; Fiji, price $5 so we did not use/buy THAT.

Our room was on the 5th floor overlooking the pool.
WI FI couldn't have been better. GREAT. We had a laptop, iPad & iPhone connected at the same time. Clearly, their wi fi has been updated since some older reviews.

Other PROS:
A desk with a very comfortable, adjustable office-type chair with flexible back.
Flat Screen , large TV sits on the chest of drawers, not wall mounted. No problem.
The Most up-to-date heating & A/C system. (mini-split) I added photos.
An Iron & ironing Board,
A SAFE in the room's closet.

We Really liked the modern décor, black, brown/tan & chrome.
Bathroom black marble counter.
Happy Hour 5-7
AND Monday-Thursday's complimentary Wine & Cheese reception 6-7
Check-out time NOON

We did not eat in the restaurant.
I called Housekeeping for more tissue paper & shampoo & they showed up within 10 minutes….with a smile.

We were only there for 2 nights & it was perfect for us. I don't know what else we could have needed. Oh yes, my husband just said they should include more sugar & creamer packets, and there was only one terry robe for pool goers, which we were not. Not too big a deal, eh?

We WOULD stay here again IF we could get another Priceline good rate.
It's all "relative" isn't it?

I know there are other hotels that are even more worthy of a 5 star rating but I think we still need to give this the 5 star rating.

Room Tip: It's a LARGE hotel with many rooms & if one has any walking problems ask for a room closer t...