“Just the facts... re-think going here.”

Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Lake Forest
Reviewed 10 August 2013

First the good: Centrally located -- close to highways, shopping, and restaurants. Housekeeping kept the rooms stocked and cleaned up. Wi-fi was slow, but free.

Everything else was mediocre to heinous. The full breakfast wasn't very appetizing -- mostly pre-made stuff except for the waffles which you could make yourself. This "non-smoking" hotel was anything but. Smoke smell was everywhere. And we're not just talking cigarettes -- people were visibly lighting up pot on the balcony of their room. Worst of all -- the front desk staff, Jim especially, was exceptionally rude and did not exhibit the slightest bit of good customer service.If that weren't bad enough, a photocopy of my credit card (as well as others who checked in) was made at check-in -- even though it had already been run through the charge machine -- and when I found this out, he outright refused to give it back and said that he would have to check me out if he gave it back. When I did check out, he still refused to give it back citing that every hotel in the country does it. I reported it to my credit card company and they were appalled (they luckily reported it to their fraud division and sent me a new card).

Long story short, it was better than nothing -- but next time I'll pay the extra bucks and go to a hotel where they know the meaning of hospitality instead of trying to make you feel like they're doing you a favor.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the "reasonable" or "inexpensive" price...you do get what...
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Checked in at 7:00 p.m. and my room wasn't ready. Next day, came back to my room at 4:00 p.m. and it hadn't been cleaned yet. Third day, the room was cleaned early but housekeeping didn't leave me any towels or pillow cases.

Staff is clueless and rude. Hotel is old, dingy and smells.

Also, when I read "Quality Inn and Suites Irvine Spectrum, I assumed it was next to the Spectrum. Nope, its not. 5 minutes up the highway by car, 25 minute walk. If you can't walk to a place in 5-10 minutes, you shouldn't advertise the location in the name of your hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Check in time is 3 p.m.... or later. When we arrived at 2 and after we waiting in line for 5 minutes, we were told they were short-staffed and we would have to come back and check in after 3:30. Our choice was to leave or sit in their very dingy lobby. We left. When we finally got into our room at 3:45 it was less than inviting. Immediately stripped off the ugly, dingy, probably dirty bedspread and put on slippers so I wouldn't have to walk barefoot on the carpet. Cranked the air conditioner down to the lowest possible temperature because the room was stifling hot.

After a late-evening event we were forced to park in a poorly-lit parking garage and return to our room, past the out-of-order elevator, past the rooms where they store "stuff" with steel security doors with no doorknobs, through the filthy service corridor/walkway to the pool, to the only working elevator at the front of the hotel. Oops. Forgot something in the car. Didn't feel at all safe walking back to the car alone at 11 p.m.

Breakfast -- served only until 9:30 the next morning -- was mediocre at best. Flavorless. Minimal. NASTY coffee. Brown fluffy bread (you know what brand I mean) billed as "wheat" bread.

I suppose that the value was good, but I know there are other hotels nearby that offer rates just as good, with much better amenities. I've stayed there. Took a chance on this one.

This hotel may have Quality in its name, but zero in its accommodations. Won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kerikns
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I spent nearly a week at this hotel. As a business traveler, my needs are simple: peace and quiet, hot shower, temperature control, wake-up call. I was offered a choice of several hotels in the area by my client, and chose this Quality Inn because of the perks: free hot breakfast, parking, wifi, fridge and microwave.

Things started going south upon check-in, when the desk clerk put me in a room that didn't remotely resemble the one that had been booked for me: a king bed suite with a pull-out sofa and balcony. Instead, I was given a regular room with 2 queen beds and no balcony or sofa bed. The clerk said she'd move me to another room the following day, but although I saw her at the front desk literally every day that week, she never followed through.

I soon discovered the refrigerator in my room didn't close properly, and thus spoiled $15 worth of leftovers. A male desk clerk replaced the fridge for me the following day--good. However, that night the same female desk clerk failed to plug in my wakeup call for the following morning--bad. Luckily I had my iPhone alarm as a backup.

On the second night of my stay, I was extremely tired, and at 8:30PM ready for bed. I had no sooner doused the lights when a ruckus in the parking lot outside my window woke me up; it was a screeching chorus of hundreds of pre-teen children's voices, in a Chinese dialect. At first I thought, "Oh, surely they're just making a pit stop at the McDonald's next door," never dreaming the screeching throng would be checking into the hotel. But they did, by the busload.

Yes, this rowdy group of at least 100 noisy children swarmed into the hotel lobby, which was just below my room. In her infinite wisdom, the female desk clerk managed to book two groups of pre-pubescent boys--4 to the room--in the room adjacent to mine, and the one directly above me. My room had a shared door with the room next door, and the kids continuously tried to enter my room, pounding and shaking the door as they hollered at one another. The kids above me must moonlight as gymnasts, because they were constantly stomping and pounding on the floor, to the point that the ceiling and walls in my room actually shook.

After half an hour of chaos, I went down to complain to the front desk clerk. She said "we're getting a lot of complaints," as if our conversation should somehow end there. Luckily, the hotel's manager, who is of Chinese ancestry and spoke the same dialect as the youngsters, appeared, and said he personally would speak with the children in the room next to mine. True to his word, he admonished the kids to keep quiet, as did the 3(!) adults traveling with the 100+(!) children. The kids did settle down; but the little gymnasts upstairs tumbled for another hour.

After another complaint to the front desk clerk yielded zero results, I finally went upstairs myself. A young kid who couldn't have been older than 8 opened the door; he spoke enough English to understand what I was saying, and apologized for the stomping/jumping. I asked him if there was an adult in the room, but there wasn't, only 3 other boys, none of whom appeared to be older than age 10. All was well for about 20 minutes; then the stomping resumed. Again I had to contact the front desk, and after about 30 more minutes, things were finally quiet. By that point I had lost 2 hours of sleep.

The next morning I woke at about 7:30 and went down to the breakfast bar; to my dismay, the horde of children had descended upon it en masse, and 6 deep. A tiny opening appeared in front of the coffee machine; I had no sooner edged toward it than 5 kids ran right in front of me, cutting off access. Even more maddeningly, they just stood there, obviously not interested in coffee, merely wanting to cut in line just in case there was something they did want. The poor woman who serviced the breakfast bar tried to wade through the kiddie swarm, holding hot dishes aloft and hollering "excuse me, excuse me!" to no avail, as the kids wouldn't even let her through to service the bar. Finally, an adult connected to the group appeared, lectured the children loudly, and managed to get them to form a queue--which lasted for about 15 minutes. I grabbed what sustenance I could and escaped to my room.

Shortly before I left that morning, I saw the children's bus outside my window; the kids were boarding, suitcases in tow. "Good!" I thought, optimistic this episode was a fluke, that the rest of the week would be quiet, and the hotel would in fact revert from a playground to a hotel.

Alas, the following evening--and EVERY evening thereafter--a similar group of children appeared like clockwork at 8:30PM, swarmed the lobby, and treated the hotel like it was their personal, noisy playspace. Same complaints to the front desk, every night. Same problems with the breakfast bar ... every morning.

It's unfortunate, because this hotel had such promise in the beginning. Yes, they're doing some things right--free perks, even underground parking--but there's no substitute for peace and quiet and a good night's sleep. Business travelers, caveat emptor.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We came to this hotel after leaving another nightmare place in the middle of the night. This was so much better! We travel with little ones, so our expectation's are not exceptionally high, being that we have to stay within a tight budget, but this hotel exceeded our expectations. Location was great, right off the freeway and in a good part of town. The breakfast was fine, better that most with the sausage and eggs. Orange juice was a little strong though. The room was a decent size and clean, beds were comfy. Nice bathroom. My husband used the fitness center and said that was a joke. Every machine was not only broken, but destroyed. Looked like there had not been a staff member in there to clean things up for fix the place in years. He said he also wouldn't touch the hot tub with a 10 foot pole. Didn't use the pool, but it looked decent. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and the staff was nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kindi W
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Was really surprised at how nice this hotel turned out to be. The hotel lobby was very nice and the rooms were better than I thought. The staff was very nice and friendly. The location is also very nice being close to Irvine Spectrum. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Annette M
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Nothing to write home about, but a decent place to lay your head at night. It's located right next to a McDonald's (for better or worse), but easy to get to from the highway. Hotel seems to be fairly old but they've tried to keep it up to par. Rooms are nothing fancy but simple and neat. I was on the 3rd floor and imagine these are better because I had a cool high slanted ceiling. Also mini-fridge and microwave were very nice to have in the room. Overall, not bad but nothing fancy.

• Stayed: June 2013
Laguna Hills Lodge
Laguna Hills Lodge
#1 of 4 in Laguna Hills
La Quinta Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Irvine Spectrum? Share your experiences!