“Best Mexican in Lake Isabella”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Portal Mexican Grill
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We have been coming to this place for literally years. The food is always good. The service is excellent and friendly. I love the Chicken Suizes. My very favorite. If you are traveling around the south side of the Lake, stop by and bring your appetite!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Best chips and salsa in the valley, friendly staff food is always great. I have never had anything I didn't like.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

If you were expecting homemade tacos you'll be sadly mistaken. El Portal uses store-bought taco shells. Sometimes fresh, sometimes stale. The meat they put inside is very good, but I still want my taco shells grilled fresh when I order a meal. The people are very friendly and the service is good --- but the store bought taco shells have turned me off. I will not go back as long as there are other Mexican restaurants open in the area.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I used to hang out in this area as my buddy had a vacation rental for a few years overlooking the lake. I recently went back to do some fly fishing and made it a point to return to El Portal after a 3+year hiatus. "EL PORTAL, I MISSED YOU!" :)
I am happy to report that the same owners and cooks work there. I always get, and HIGHLY RECOMMEND, the wet burrito Colorado. The sauce is like nothing I have ever tasted, and it was like coming home again to sink my teeth into that first wonderful bite! The portions are always healthy, so get a to-go box. The chips are very good, and the salsa is tasty and fresh, though a bit onion-y for my liking. (I HATE raw onions, so that doesn't say much).

All I have to say is MAKE THE DRIVE! It's on the south side of the lake in Mt. Mesa and is quite nondescript, but well worth as it is easily the best Mexican food in the valley.

1  Thank Fishfreak911
Reviewed 14 June 2013

When you show up with a group on 30, you know it is going to be tough, but they took care of all of us. maybe slowly, but hey 30 people! I think that's more than the population!!!!