“1st timers Houseboat Adventure - a lot of detail if you like that sort of thing :)”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakehead
Antler Resort and Marina
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lakehead
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This was our first time doing the "houseboat" type of vacation. We had a really good time. I suspect if you are with people you enjoy, that helps a lot too! :D

Reservations: Making the reservation was easy and Antler's was good about staying in communication regarding deposits and paperwork needed, etc. so that all went smoothly. We did call months in advance and were not able to reserve the boat that we wanted but the boat we ended up getting was sufficient so we were happy in the end. My husband likes to ask a lot of questions so we pretty much knew all we needed to do before we left based on his numerous calls to the office. However, the Antler's folks were patient with him so I have to give them major kudos for that.

We received a call a day or so before our trip that the lake levels were low and we needed to go to their 2nd Marina which was actually a closer drive for us so we were ok with that. We arrived and they were a bit backed up due to other folks returning their houseboats late in the morning. We were a bit cramped from driving 4 hours so didn't mind the 1/2 hour of stretching and bathroom breaks while we waited and they gave the captain and co-captains "Antlers" baseball caps which I loved since I stupidly forgot my visor for the trip. Then it was time to unload our gear onto a pontoon boat (on land) that was then put into the water and taken over to our houseboat so we could conveniently load onto the boat after our "orientations/operating instructions" talk.

Background: There were 3 families from the Sunnyvale/Santa Clara area that came together for this houseboat trip (5 adults and 7 kids). An adult from one of the families had taken houseboat trips before and driven ski boats and two adults had done a lot of boating with family members and friends that had boats. One family had no experience with boating or houseboats and none of us had actually driven a houseboat before so we were a bit nervous at first. However, with some of us having been on boats we understood some general boating etiquette regarding speed buoys and smaller vessels generally needing to move for larger (harder to turn and stop) vessels and the passing rules. After our orientation and training by Antlers staff, we felt pretty confident and there is a manual on how to start the boat, which switches to have off and on at various times and some trouble shooting etc. in one of the drawers and we could reach Antler's by cell phone on most parts of the lake, so off we went.

The Boat: We rented the "Mirage", it was a nice looking boat, pretty clean and not dated looking which I was surprised about. However, it was not a luxurious yacht, so don't set your expectations too high! There were 3 "staterooms" which were basically a double sized mattress on a platform and a cabinet for clothes, but you don't spend a lot of time in the room anyway right? :D Then the kids had a variety of sleeping options to choose from including the dining table/seating area which converted into a bed that 3 of the girls slept in plus there was a couch that converted though we didn't use it. There were 2 "Penthouse" rooms which are above the other rooms but you pretty much have to crawl into them and you cannot stand up but sitting is probably okay however I didn't actually verify this so don't quote me on it. I would guess 2 smaller kids could fit into each of these rooms and then there was a sleeping area that was beneath one of the rooms but above water level so there is a window and all. We called it the Harry Potter room. We didn't use it though because we had some big kids and they wanted to sleep on the top of the boat under the falling stars. More on falling stars later...

We rented a speedboat from Antlers as well so that we could find spots to park the Houseboat for the day and then venture out onto the lake for water skiing and tubing. This added a lot of additional fun for our group and it kept the kids from getting bored with swimming around the houseboat and sliding down the houseboat slide.

Amenities: The full kitchen was a great thing for us and we had no issues cooking and heating meals and snacks throughout the trip. However, the knives are EXTREMELY dull which slowed down meal prep throughout the trip quite a bit so I highly recommend bringing any knives you like to use when cooking as you'll save tons of time. :D We totally overbought food or didn't coordinate our meal purchases well enough and had duplicates and just too much to store so I would recommend that you really look at this because the fridge and freezer space is a bit limited and you don't want to have to keep going to the marina for ice throughout your trip for extra coolers. One of the great things on the boat is a very large cooler on the front of the boat which is great for drinks so the kids don't have to keep opening and closing the fridge. The harder the fridge works, the more more the batteries get used which the generator then has to charge and the more gas you end up using (and paying for). At the time time, gas was $5.85 a gallon and ice was about $2.50 a bag (you can get a sleeve of 6 bags for $13.50). It takes 2 sleeves to fill up that big cooler that is on the front of the boat. There is also a Jacuzzi on the top of this particular vessel, however it was filled with lake water so really, why not just jump in the lake (I guess if you prefer really warm water which I don't, you might enjoy this feature).

Issues: We ran out of fresh water (which comes out of the kitchen and bathroom sinks) the 2nd day in so we did have to go back to the Marina. We think that in rushing to get our boat ready for us, this was just overlooked. However, they filled us up quickly and got us back on the lake in record time so it was okay. Plus we ended up needing more ice for that big cooler on the front (we should have listened when they recommended 2 sleeves of ice!) so going back to the marina was in our plans anyway.

The only other issue we encountered was after using the BBQ on the front of the boat, we were visited by Yellow Jackets. The Yellow Jackets came back the following morning. There may have been meat stuck to the grill racks still which attracted them which we should have burned off but didn't, so this was really on us rather than the boat. Live and learn right?

Nightlife: When the sun went down the stars came out and it was BEAUTIFUL! I saw 7 shooting stars in the first 10 minutes of looking and then lost count after that! It was quite lovely. My son and his friend said it was really cool to watch them until they got so tired they drifted off each night. Better than counting sheep!! :D

Sleep: I am not a great sleeper as I've mentioned in my other reviews. I wear earplugs to drown out the snoring by hubby, I take 2 Benydryl so when he does wake me it allows me to quickly fall back asleep and I wear a sleep mask to keep it very dark and I won't get distracted by shadows (crazy right? Don't worry, I know this about myself !). At home I have a super comfy TempurPedic mattress so I was worried about what appeared to be vinyl covered foam mattresses on the boat. However, I slept really well each night so I have nothing to complain about. You can pay Antler's an extra fee for towels and bedding but we opted to bring our own and skip the additional fee. We brought our own pillows as well but it turned out that wasn't necessary as pillows were provided in the staterooms.

Weather: The weather was pleasantly warm during the day and 2 of the nights were so warm we slept with the windows open all night long. I definitely liked going this time of year.

Hopefully this info was helpful to you! We had an enjoyable time and we would do this again, especially with Antlers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Traveling-kimber
There are newer reviews for Antler Resort and Marina

Reviewed 8 July 2013

A group of 12 stayed in Cabin #1 during the July 4th week and we had a great time. The cabins are in the woods so you see and smell pines whenever you step outside. You have a great view of the marina and can see the boats coming and going. There's a wonderful little store/restaurant very close by. We had a great pancake breakfast on Sunday and also ate dinner there a couple of times. The staff were friendly and very helpful.

Just for a little perspective, temps were between 100-110 Sun-Thurs. We were able to be on the boat from 6-noon and then from about 6-dark each day. Otherwise, we needed to be inside, at the pool or somewhere else. It was just too hot to be on the water during the heat of the day.

The cabin got a bit crowded when we were all in it trying to occupy ourselves until it was cool enough to be outside. It did have a swamp cooler that tried valiantly to keep up and did an okay job. One note - be sure to read the instructions on it and keep some windows cracked open. We had some trouble and it was due to closing the windows (we're used to AC).

A couple of things to consider when you rent here - they provide enough paper products to get you started. If you are staying for a week, be sure to bring toilet paper, paper towels, laundry soap, etc. There is no food, including spices and condiments (ketchup, mustard, etc.) so be prepared and bring it. They provided exactly 12 towels and exchanged them on Wed. If you need more, bring them. Bring your own beach/pool towels.

The closest big grocery stores are in Duinsmuir (north about 25 minutes) or Redding (south about 25 minutes). Otherwise, you will need to use either the onsite store or one of the small stores nearby. These stores are okay for hot dog buns and laundry soap but don't bother to get fruit, veggies or olive oil.

I do recommend this for families, just keep in mind that you are essentially camping, just with a roof over your head. This isn't billed as a four-star resort and the cabins are considered a place to sleep and eat, not as a place where you spend all your time. In my opinion, the cabins were put in there for those people who didn't want a houseboat for whatever reason. Next time, we are going to get a houseboat.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Valerie A
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Our family of four had a fantastic Houseboat Vacation on Lake Shasta 8-15 June 2013. The Antler’s staff were professional and knowledgeable. One of the best aspects of renting a houseboat from Antler’s is their loading/unloading process. They helped us unload our supplies from our car to their shuttle pontoon boat. They parked the shuttle boat next to our houseboat and while we were receiving our orientation two staff members put the supplies/gear on the boat. They didn’t look like they were expecting a tip; however, I chased them down and gave them each one. Additionally, nice was upon return of the boat they used the same process to unload our supplies/gear. We docked at a competitor’s marina for gas and watched house boaters pushing their supplies in big wheelbarrows with flat tires to load their houseboats. While watching sweating vacationers do this we were so glad we choose Antlers. Back to the vacation, on the second day, we had a mechanical problem which kept the engine from starting. Antlers sent out their mechanic and he replaced the part on the spot. The mechanic’s service was impeccable. As for the houseboat, the fly bridge, we picked it because it was very large and cost effective. It had everything we needed. It is not a luxurious boat but it worked well for our family. We loved exploring the lake while sitting on top in the fly bridge area. We opted for the last week on spring for more cost savings. Another topic to consider is making sure to rent or borrow a speed boat or water craft. Our vacation would have been very dull without one. My wonderful Aunt & Uncle offered up their speed boat. We brought along a tube “The Big Mable” (purchased on Amazon for around $200). We spent countless hours pulling our two boys, family, and friends around on the Big Mable. We will be return Antler’s customers … we had a wonderful time on Lake Shasta on a Houseboat!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank BobCat122
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Stayed at a local motel recently and had a great time in the area. Attempted to rent a ski boat from Antlers for one day. Went to their office in Lakehead and allegedly spoke to their owner (SHANA ?). Even though we were in the off season it just appeared as though we were disturbing them. It was awkward and we left without coming to an agreement and went to another marina just down the interstate. Great customer service and a great rate.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is a review of the Cabins at Antler Resort. It's all in your expectations. Mine were not set correctly and we were disappointed. If yours are set correctly, you can make the most of it.

We were a family of 4 that traveled up and down the Nor Cal coast visiting Redwoods for 5 days and decided to detour for 2 nights to wrap up our trip with some fun on Shasta Lake. We were hoping for a quaint little cabin to sleep and go out for our meals. There are not many good options for eating out in this area. We went to Ba$$hole Grill for dinner our first night(see my review) and decided to use the kitchen in the cabin the for our other meals.

I think these cabins are really designed for week long visitors who drive here from not too far away and bring lots of amenities and food. There are good kitchen tools, pots and pans, but that's it. There is no salt, pepper, spices, sugar, coffee, tea, etc. There is a scouring pad and some very watery soap. We bought a sponge and dish soap at the market. For a 2 night stay we had to buy a lot of stuff that we didn't get to use, i.e. bottle of dish soap, near full salt & pepper shakers, 1 day old sponge, bag of coffee, bag of sugar. We ended up giving all of our stuff to the cabin next to us and they were very appreciative.

There was no shampoo or conditioner. For a 2 night's stay, we had to buy full bottles of both at the market. The pillows were like pancakes. You had to put a couple together to make 1 pillow. The floors are linoleum. The shower is tiny. You can barely turn around. There was a TV with DirecTV, but it only gets a couple of channels. We didn't go up there to watch TV, but it was just 1 more thing that was frustrating. There were hundreds of channels listed in guide, but every one we clicked on said "you don't subscribe to this channel". I think it was The Style channel and Disney that we got. At least Disney kept the kids occupied for a few minutes.

The last item, and this is a big one, there was no air conditioning. We were there mid-August and it was over 100 degrees in the daytime. There is a swampcooler that does make it cooler, but not cool like a/c. At nightitme with the swampcooler going and the ceiling fan going,we were laying on top of our sheets, sweating trying to get to sleep. The pillows were like pancakes. You had to put a couple together to make 1 pillow.

As I mentioned above, if our expectations would have been that we were almost camping and need to supply everything it would have been better for us. We stayed in some great hotels and cabins in our weeklong trek up the coast. We even stayed in a cabin in Willow Creek (Coho Cottages, awesome place) that we had to go buy food, but they supplied the basics(salt, pepper, sugar, coffee, shampoo, conditioner, soap, dish soap) so we just needed food. Location is great, right up from the marina.

2  Thank xtianh
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is my first review ever of anything, but feel compelled to warn people of what can go wrong at Antlers.  I live in the Bay Area and my family flew all the way to the West Coast from the East Coast to go on this trip.

We were told to arrive at 4pm so that we could be trained on the boat & have the boat loaded up with our gear by 5:30.

We arrived at 3:45.  We were told it would be a 30 minute wait which then ended up being an over 2 hour wait.  This would have been no problem, if they had just let us know instead of stringing us along and continually saying it would "only be another 20 minutes".  We could have gone to get some dinner or, played cards for that matter, instead of standing in their tiny office for 2 hours.

We finally got on the boat after 6 PM and had a great & thorough training of this 56x15 foot boat.  Meanwhile, we had 3 cars full of luggage, food, & bedding that needed to be put on the boat.  While the tour of the boat was going on, some other Antler's employees asked if we needed help getting our 3 cars of stuff all the way down to the boat.  And we said, yes!!, and 2 of us headed up to the cars.  The employees did not show up & 2 of us ended up lifting all of our huge bags of bedding, suitcases, & food for 9 people for one week onto a pontoon boat on a trailer.

The boat was not loaded until 7:30 PM at which point it was too late to get organized & get mentally clear (from a day's worth of travel & no dinner) enough to take the boat out & find a cove to park it before dark.

We ended up having to stay at the dock the first night!!!!!  This ended up being a good thing because Antler's had neglected to fill up the gas!!!  So, we had to wait the next morning while our gas was being filled up.

The boat (Genesis 2) was great & we had a wonderful time on the lake, but we were offered no discount or apologies for the logistical chaos/lack of communication/delay in getting onto the boat & out for the night.

The boat was a good value for the money with all of it's amenities, but I would recommend paying a little bit more by going with a marina that hopefully has better customer service.

Sarah Lehman 415-505-5271

3  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We rented a "ultimate cruiser" houseboat on Shasta Lake through Antler's resort for a week. Our trip was relaxing and the resort staff were friendly and very helpful......VERY helpful. The first morning we discovered that the coffeemaker on the boat did not work, so we called in. Not much later a staff person arrived to replace our coffeepot. Luckily he was through, as we discovered THAT coffeepot didn't work either because of the electrical outlet. So on our third coffeepot, we finished the week. The service was impressive particuliarly because we were about an hour and a half out of the marina, and they had to find us!

1  Thank jan h
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakehead
Fairfield Inn & Suites Redding
#22 of 37 in Redding
The Inn at Shasta Lake
The Inn at Shasta Lake
#1 of 2 in Lakehead

Been to Antler Resort and Marina? Share your experiences!