“Super host, quaint but dated accommodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lake Shasta Lodge

Lake Shasta Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakehead
Lake Shasta Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lakehead
Portland, Oregon, USA
“Super host, quaint but dated accommodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

We were interested in a place close to Redding, one that took pets, was clean and reasonably priced. The outstanding reviews and location of Lakehead Lodge in the mountains, north of Redding, piqued our interest. Unfortunately, our impressions of this motel were not as rave as previous reviewers'.

The host, Jim, was very personable. As mentioned by others, reservations are not an option and we paid to hold the room for our late arrival.

The small to average sized room had a microwave, refrigerator, TV, small table with two old hardback chairs, and a large, really beat-up wood dresser ("shabby chic"?). In general, the place looked extremely old, even with a facelift of new paint in white and a loud but cheerful green, and new-looking but noisy laminate floors (our dog's feet). The closet was a short rod and shelf over the microwave that sat on the fridge. Cleanliness was so-so: the room looked clean on first impression, but the pillows were not as fresh as they should have been, and the bathroom baseboards were dirty. We are passionate about good sanitation of bed and bath linens, porcelain and faucets, light switches, doorknobs and such. If the pillows, sheets, or blankets smell anything but freshly laundered, we won't be back!

When we first arrived, the room was very cold - the window had been left open, but the room warmed up fairly quickly when we turned on the only heater. The beds were too soft for our taste, but they weren't bad either. The cramped bathroom lacked places to put things like toiletries and hanging towels, and it had no heat source. As the night temperatures dropped, the wall heater required us to get up during the night to increase the heat setting. Brrr. It had no thermostat, just a rotary dial. Outside was a large grassy, treed area to picnic or walk about. The motel faces the I-5 freeway, but our room in the back was quiet.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
LAKEHEAD1, Owner at Lake Shasta Lodge, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
We want to thank you folks for staying at the Lakehead Lodge. We hope that all of our guests enjoy their stay. We want to apologize for any lax housekeeping issues that you may have encountered.They have been addressed. Let us assure you that the pillows are newer and may smell that they just came out of the bag.
The dresser is only a few years old with no wear because traveleres seldom unload all their belonging. We do apologize if you didnt like the style of the furnishings. The room does not have a "closet" because we are an older "motor court " style motel but there is definetly an area in which to hang clothes and the hangars are already provided.
We apologize that you did not appreciate the clean, hypo allergenic pergo wood flooring. Most guests love the fact that there is no dirty carpet. I do understand that you may have felt that they were noisy due to the toenails noise (clicks) from your two Saint Bernards. We have a cat with non retractable claws and he makes the same noise in our house. LOL !
We are glad that the heater warmed the room up for you quickly. They work quite well. The reason you had to turn it up higher is because the temp dropped to freezing and the internal thermostat of the fan forced wall heater turns itself off after reaching a confortable temp.
The room you stayed in ,#8 is a cozy room so there is not a heater in the bathroom. There are no less than (3) towel racks, which hold all the (12) towels (4 of each style) in the bathroom and a robe hook on the back of the door. There is also a small, wooden shelf mounted on the wall for your personal toiletries. (I actually made them myself!)
We realize that we are not the Venitian or the Bellagio but try to offer a nice room at a competative rate. Perhaps your next stay will be better. Dont forget to bring those huge dogs with you !

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

My family and I absolutely love the Lakehead Lodge. This was our first visit and we were very impressed. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. The rec room and BBQ/picnic area are great, especially with the kids (felt like BBQ'ing at home while the kids played). The Lodge is managed, maintained, and housekept by Jim who is the owner. Not only is he a super nice guy, but he really does everything he can to make sure your stay is perfect...and perfect it was!!

The Jones Family

5 Thank Mike J
LAKEHEAD1, Owner at Lake Shasta Lodge, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
It is so nice to hear that folks enjoy their stay here at the Lakehead Lodge. We fervently hope that you, your wife , and your beautiful girls come back and see us again when it is convenient for you. We need another lovely piece of art for the foyer. Take care and see you folks soon !!!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed at the Lakehead Lodge for 2 nights this July, on a family road trip with our 3 young children down the west coast of America. The lodge itself is beautifully maintained and the rooms were clean and very comfortable. Jim, the owner, made us feel very welcome and was only too happy to answer any questions we had. The Lodge is in a great location , very close to Shasta Lake and the awesome Shasta Dam. Would highly recommend the Lakehead Lodge to any one visiting the area. A big thanks to Jim for your generous hospitality.

4 Thank Abikcs
We at the Lakehead Lodge are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay during your holiday here in the States. Perhaps we will see you again sometime up here in northern California, or perhaps for a pint in Manchester. Take care.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

Had a great stay at this place. Very clean and friendly...close to dock launch...close to good food and very easy access to the freeway. Rooms were spotless (other half was very pleased). Has a great little kitchenet with a small refridgerator and a small stove top w/2 electric burners so you can have your own food to cook...really great to be able to have options. Jim's a very nice guy...very helpful and happy. Will definately be back for another visit. Thanks for your hospitality Jim.

P.S. There's a great little rec room to hang out in w/a pool table & air hocky and a big screen TV. Really great if you have a large party :-)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lydia M
Rough and Ready, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Our summer trip to Lake Shasta was fantastic while staying at the Lakehead Lodge again. What a great, clean wonderful place to stay. The hot weather was no match for their great air conditioning and cold, cold refrigerators. Thanks for the hospitality Jim. We will see you this fall when the fish start biting!

Paul & Christine Smith

Room Tip: room #11 is our favorite. big kitchen & lots of room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul S
LAKEHEAD1, Owner at Lake Shasta Lodge, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
We at the Lakehead Lodge are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful vacation here for the second year in a row and that our air conditioners kept you and yours nice and cool when you werent out and about enjoying the beautiful lake. We try to keep everyone comfortable and make them feel like family and hope to see them every summer season. Hopefully when it cools down you folks will be back for some fishing. Take care and thanks again for choosing the Lakehead Lodge as your vacation destination !
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

I spent two nights at the Lakehead Lodge while attending a family reunion at Shasta Lake. I chose to have a hot shower rather than sleep in a tent. I was impressed with the lodge. I had stayed there as a child in the late 1950s and was afraid it would be dated. To my surprise, things were fresh and new. The cleanliness was excellent. We especially appreciated the attention that Jim, the manager, showered on us making sure we had everything we needed. There were lots of towels and hot water. The appliances were up to date and clean. Thanks, Jim. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Room 11 had a big kitchen.
4 Thank FlorabelleVacaville
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

I was relocating from Seattle to Phoenix and while drivinf down the I-5 my trailer tire blew out.
As I had no spare I had to 'crawl" to the Lakehead Lodge and ask for a room for the night. I told Jim the issue with my trailer and he showed me where to park the jetski over night.
In the morning I had to head to Redding to pick up a spare. On leaving my room I discovered the shredded rim and tire outside my door. Jim had removed it for me and offered me a phone book and internet to call a few places in Redding.
I left for Redding and got my spare tires/rims and headed back to The Lakehead Lodge to fix them to the trailer and get me on my way to Phoenix.

All in all a really nice guy and a nice palce to stay under such conditions.
I'd reccommend this place.
Thanks Jim.
Jason

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank 31310Jason
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakehead
Fairfield Inn & Suites Redding
Travelodge Redding CA
Travelodge Redding CA
#5 of 36 in Redding
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,496 reviews

Been to Lake Shasta Lodge? Share your experiences!