“Ferry ride and a cavern tour.”

Lake Shasta Caverns
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Lakehead
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Another cavern on a long list of cavern tours. We just can't get enough caverns. LOL this one comes with a bonus, a ferry ride across the lake. Once on the other side a bus takes you up to the top where the entrance to the cavern is. This cavern is beautiful, a wide variety of big rooms and long tunnels, lots and lots of stairs. No disappointment here. Great was to get out of the heat.
John & LynNita Ellis

in 5 reviews
"whole family"
"buy tickets"

Reviewed 25 June 2014

You get a lot for this tour. A boat ride across the lake, a bus up a very steep slope and mystical caves. I was lucky to be in a small group which made it even more enjoyable. Formations are varied and interesting.

1  Thank Indigo8
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We took this tour several years ago and went again yesterday during their 50-year celebration.

The last time we went, they had old rickety buses with no air conditioning, which can get uncomfortable on hot summer days. They now have new air conditioned buses that are very comfortable.

We just missed the 10:30 tour, so had time look around the gift shop and see old artifacts on the deck that leads to the path down to the boarding area. Lake Shasta is at about 96' below crest right now, so it is a pretty good trek to read the boat that take you across to the caverns.

I am 70 and my wife is 68, so they stressed to us that the tour has lots of steep steps and can be strenuous. I go to the gym 5-days a week and am in pretty-good shape, so didn't worry much. I will tell you, however, there is one climb of about 80-steps that really got my heart pumping. I made it though, although my wife had to stop briefly a couple of times on the way up.

The tour is excellent, with lots of beautiful and interesting things to see. Our guide was very informative and answered everyone questions. It was comfortable inside and I was wearing shorts and a short-sleeved shirt. The tour from the time we got on the transport boat to our return was about two hours.

It costs $24 for people 16-years old and up, with those 3- to 15-years old priced at $12. Because of their anniversary celebration, everyone was charged $12.00

We really enjoyed it and were definitely ready for a hearty lunch after the exercise we go from going up and down all of the steps on the tour.

5  Thank gandresen
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Caves/Caverns are a wonderful adventure for anyone [groups/individuals/couples/families]. Shasta Cavern is up there with some of the best [if you are energetic]. I believe there are 911 steps all together, from beginning tour to end.

The interior is amazingly beautiful, the tour is a nice length with just enough information from your guide to make it interesting. Look out for Justin, he "thinks" he has a sense of humor! ;-) There is one spot where there is like 80 steps, a little rough on my knees, but it was worth it.

The bus ride to the entrance and back.... real narrow dirt road. Boat ride.....comfortable and the right time of day the temp is nice.

Staff is pleasant, informative and generally helpful. You can get snack type items in the gift store or bring a lunch and enjoy the tables provided. There is a small play area for younger children near the entrance/parking area.

Full tour - Adults 16 and up: $24 - Juniors 3-15 yrs: $14. Visit their website for more pricing and/or exceptions.

**Advice; do not join the first tour of the day if you have ANY type of walking problems! You must walk down the steep slope to the boat, first tour of the day must walk UP steep hill on other side - to the bus. On your way back the bus takes you to the boat, from the boat on the other side you walk UP steep hill.

2  Thank ROSully
See more reviews
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Shasta Caverns are located just North of Redding California and only about 2 miles off of I-5. It is a great place to take a break for those traveling on I-5. We stopped at the Caverns by chance. I was travelling with my four small children down I-5 to Sacramento. We were a little ahead of schedule and decided to stop and check it out. What a great surprise!!

The cost was a bit high for me as adults are $24, children 3-15 aren't so bad at $14.

It was worth it. There is a nice area for parking with a playground and a small gift shop. The tours during the summer are every hour so we had to wait a little while. We ate our lunches that we had packed and played on the playground. This was good after being in the car for a while.

To get to the caverns you ride a platform boat across the lake. This was an extra bonus and really fun for the kids. Shasta lake is beautiful. Then we boarded large vans that took us up a steep road to the Cavern entrance 900 feet or so above the lake.

The caverns are marble/calcite caverns. Not too many like them around. For those that are interested in caves these are similar to the Oregon Caves National Monument. The unique thing for me was that the cave chambers are more vertical than horizontal. The tour requires climbing many stairs. The exertion level was not significant but there is some. The good thing is the stair climbing occurs inside the cave and not outside in the hot California sun. There are many beautiful formations. There is a stop where you can have a cave photographer take your photo for purchase after you exit. At the end of the cave tour there is a pathway with many stairs down to where the vans are parked.

The views walking down the path and from the van parking area are incredible. Then a short drive back to the dock where there is a snack bar and gift shop as well. Then a boat ride back to the parking lot. The whole thing only took a couple of hours.

1  Thank Matthew G