“its was worth the trip from san diego”

Barona Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We mostly ate, shopped and gambled during our visit. We didn't stay at the hotel this time, but have before and liked it very much. The penny games payed off for us this day. Definitely get the players card before you start gambling. It saved us a bit on the room when we stayed here.

Theres a lot of property to see inside and out. Be prepared to do a lot of walking. One part of the hotel is a long ways away from the casino, and farther to park. It is free to park. And there is a golf course on the property.

Barona is located about 35-40 minutes northeast of San Diego in the city of Lakeside. The last few miles were a challegene driving through the hills with many turns and curved roads.

The food at the Sage Cafe was good. Especially the bread.

We will be going back

Barona.com

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better as we all know, but the closer the room to the casino the better her...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tonystewart14

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have been going to Barona's Casino for over 10 years and I find this place is relaxing for me cause of the way they treat you, very nice staff. I have been gambling on the Dollar Slots and I have played the quarters, nickel , and penny machine's. I have won a lot of money could it be I am lucky or just know how to play! Don't get me wrong I have lost too but most of the time I have won and won big money. The food is great and I love the Sage restaurant and the buffet, as far as the drive it only takes me 1hr and 30 min no problem its a nice drive. The rooms are clean and great and when I need something I just ask and get it so whoever is not wining or unsatisfied then go to Vegas or wherever you go and enjoy. I never pay for my room and really never pay for food just gamble and if I lose OH WELL it happens its all part of life and life is a gamble so far for me this casino is the best...

Room Tip: I always get the top floor over looking the golf course
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank DENNIS D
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel, but certainly would consider it! It is a beautiful property, to be sure.
Just stopped in to gamble a bit ... had a quick lunch at the Food Court Noodle House ... and spent some time at the slot machines.
The lunch was fantastic ... got the daily special of Cashew Chicken, which came with jasmine rice and a small bowl of egg drop soup ... added in fried dumplings ... so very good.
Everyone is very friendly ... it was our first time, so we wore a #1 button ... so many staff, as they walked by, said Welcome! ... good PR training.
We will go back .. if for no other reason than to visit our $$$!
We liked what we saw!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I don't go to the casino. But I went to the buffet and ate, it is very nice. The rooms are nice which has space and comfy beds. The service is nice. I really enjoyed the hotel as it keeps me happy, the pool is very nice. Not to crowded during the summer

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Took 5 couples to Barona for a 4 day golf tournament. Guys golfed in the AM through lunch. Ladies were on their own. If you're into gambling and smoke filled casino, then you're safe. If you are looking for something else to do - you're pretty remote and without a lot of options unless you are willing to travel 25+ minutes off the mountain. The ride to the casino is not "easy" (narrow roads, curvy and twisty) once you're in the mountains so leaving the casino is not a simple "leave". Just issuing a word of caution. The golf is fun, the casino is nice, the rooms are clean - but a remote gambling environment is what you're getting. Service in the restaurants was "acceptable" but not terrific. You had to "work your servers" to get a good experience. If I go back, it will not be with spouses, and mostly for golf.

Room Tip: Facing the mountains, golf course is much nicer than the parking lot and pool. Pool can get noisy o...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Recently, a girlfriend and I spent a week at the Barona Valley Ranch Resort and Casino in Lakeside, CA. The experience was not only relaxing and pleasingly upbeat; it was memeorable. The location of the ranch is close to much of what you might want to see and do in the San Diego area, and yet remote enough to only enjoy the ranch if that is your hearts desire. You don't have to go anywhere if you don't want to. Pretty much of what you might want or need to do can be found here.

Our room was delightful, clean, comfortable, and overlooked the swimming pool and surrounding grounds. While Wildcat Canyon Road, is a bit wild and windey to get to the Ranch, at the base of the road you come apon Barona Valley Ranch, which truly sits in the valley and is surrounded by the canyons. It is a very picturesque, well manicured property, with easy, free parking. There is also a man at a gatehouse, with a welcoming waving hand as you enter the property.

The hotel restaurant was not only reasonable, but the food was good. You get your monies worth. The buffet is also excellent. We did not try any of the specialty restaurants.

The slot machines were all modern and many, many, of them to choose from. The payoffs were not bad either. Only downfall - smoking is allowed in most of the casino. Only a small area of this very, very large casino is designated as non-smoking. The ventilation was adequate; but at really busy times, the smoke seemed overwhelming. Lots of promotions and giveaways too. If you stay for more than a day or two, you will probably win something.

If you want some reall R&R without having to leave the hotel to get it, I would recommend Barona. If you want a pleasant gambling experience, some good food at reasonable prices, I would recommend Barona. If you don't want to be too far away from the San Diego action, I would recommend Barona. I will go there again when in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: Try to get higher floors to take in the veiw.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We went to Barona for my in-laws 50th anniversary. The dinner at the steakhouse was horrible. We arrived at our reservation time, 6:30, and we're seating promptly and then ignored for about half an hour. Finally got our drink order then another 45 minute wait for our food. When the food did arrive the guest of honor said his prime rib was over cooked and tasted horrible. Other meals were good, but how does a steakhouse screw up prime rib?

After dinner we headed to a roulette table, our first dealer was very pleasant, she was replaced by a young man who immediately started an environmental tiraid that got so bad we left the table.

Breakfast the next morning at the Sage restaurant was as bad as the night before, long wait just to get coffee, I ordered sourdough toast and she brought two baskets, one sourdough and one wheat, the sourdough was set at the other end of the table, why serve individual ordered items in a group basket?

While Barona is a short drive from our home we will be heading to Viejas from now on, easier to get to and much better service.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Bisker61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Best Western Santee Lodge
Best Western Courtesy Inn
Best Western Courtesy Inn
#3 of 15 in El Cajon
Viejas Casino & Resort

Been to Barona Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!