“Tainted”

Barona Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakeside
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We drove over 2 hours to arrive. Wildcat Canyon Rd is a dark dangerous road at night. Beware...As we arrived, the Bellman (Gumby) was great. Welcomed us to the Casino Resort. When we met "Whitney" at the front counter. She informed us our reservations we made incorrectly in my business associates name, with my name also on the reservation???. She was very unhelpful, rude and arrogant. She suggested I go to the casino to see the casino "Host"....After a few phone call on my own, the casino host was wonderful and cleared up the misunderstanding.
While waiting, I ask her if there were other hotels in the area, in the event we had to spend the night elsewhere. She handed me a list of local hotels, and was unbelievably arrogant. Here we are, late at night, hours from home, in the middle of "NO Where". Hwy 67. And when I ask her a question, she would look up from her keyboard, and say, EXCUSE ME???
The rest of the stay was semi tainted by her presence as we would walk by the front desk. Although everyone else was wonderful.
We ate at the Steakhouse, and it was a ten. The golf course was spectacular. (Big Mike made us welcome) And the slots were fun.
All and all, a great casino. Just tainted by first impressions....
Steve,
San Clemente, Ca.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Steve H
Management response:Responded 4 November 2016

What else can you tell me about this Whitney ?
Was she of Hispanic origin, Caucasian, Filipino, African American, etc .
What about the hair color was it black, white, blonde, red, multiple colors, please explain .
I have been having a lot of complaints on someone recently but for some odd reason every single time the girl or guy has not been wearing a name tag which is against our dress code so anything specific you can remember would really be greatly appreciated...
If you can remember anything else and respond back to me asap then I can take care of this so it would not continue to happen and spot it won't happen again to any other unsuspecting visitors that I have here.
thank you for your help.!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

be sure to check the room started from carpet,water from coffee machine,linens(beware of bed bugs!),bathroom(sink to tub some they have hair),towels(some towels are almost consider as rugs but still they want us to use it...opps I forgot check if u have a bar-soap!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 1987kiki
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Awesome place for a staycation. The casino and hotel are attached so no need to venture outside. The area surrounding is in a valley so greenery, golfing and ponds are what surround you. Rooms are always clean and quiet. Every room has a mini balcony to enjoy your morning coffee on. Always a nice time here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a good local retreat if you live in or around San Diego. The exotic rocky road conveys the idea or being far away from the city - and technically you are in sovereign land, which adds to the allure - although you are only 30 miles from downtown and just "around the corner" from San Diego's east county.
Visitors from out of state and abroad also find the resort pleasant and the reservation interesting, particularly the Barona Museum and cultural center, which are a very short drive away. I have stayed here frequently, and the rooms are comfortable and spacious. the resort pool is heated year-round, and the jacuzzi is specially pleasant during the colder months, when the only missing detail to make it perfect would be a piña colada or another tropical cocktail.
Barona Resort and Casino is mostly dry (alcohol-free), with drinks served only at two of its restaurants.
If you are averse to cigarette odor, ask for a smoke-free room. I forgot to do so once and the smell bothered me, but the staff is very accommodating and eager to please, and the service I have received has always been excellent. My only concern is that not all other guests are always as pleasant, but that happens everywhere.
I do not like to bet money, so the resort's casino is not appealing to me. However, my friends couldn't be more delighted with the casino and the staff's friendliness. Two of them have achieved platinum status (a loyalty casino patron program), so I assume they're being truthful.
For many locals, the buffet is the main attraction, but at over $20 per person is not worth it - the time spent waiting in line during rush hour, or cost, even after a discount - for a petite, vegetarian grazer like I, but skilled binge eaters and people with large appetites (and you will see plenty of them around) swear by it. If you eat less and more often, you will love the adjacent food court. The food quality and prices are remarkable. I am fully satisfied after three tasty potato tacos, which cost only $1 each. Their coffee shop holds its own against popular establishments, at about half the price. I was sorry to see the Feisty Kate's Burgers and Malts gelato stand go, as it provided heavenly treats at unbelievable prices. In contrast, I sometimes found that some of the mainstream food items in the buffet could improve (such as the juices, ice cream, crème brûlée, and some meats which looked partially raw although I did not eat them). Their Asian and Mexican stations are to be commended, and I applaud their small dessert sizes, which allow me to devour more than one.
Other than the casino, golf course, restaurants and food court, there is a small gym and a relatively new spa. The resort seems to be adding features, services and improvements, and I expect it to become even better in the future.

Room Tip: Non-smoking room if you are averse to cigarette smoke. Most rooms have either lake or pool views, an...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Need a break from your daily life but do not want a long drive? Need to play some golf, hit the spa, have some entertainment? All this and more is just a short drive from almost any area in San Diego. Stayed here several times and always enjoyed it.

When entering the grounds you notice the gate wavers welcoming you. An example of the hospitality displayed by all the workers. Either park in the lots across from the hotel or use the parking structure for direct access to the Casino and Hotel. No shortage of handicapped parking stalls in either area.

Hotel has a AAA Four Diamond rating, well earned as you check in and see your room. Rooms are large, well decorated, comfortable. Free wifi, Keurig coffee maker with coffee and tea cups. Mini refrigerator is not stocked, use as you need. Bathrooms have a shower & tub, plenty of room to move around. Beds had clean white bedding, very comfortable, I slept well. Never experienced any noise from other rooms. For handicapped, they may prefer rooms along the hallway connecting to the Casino and Restaurants. Easy access but lots of hallway traffic.

Casino area is served by a coffee shop, food court, several nice restaurants and buffet. Enough choices for any budget.

I can't say enough about how good the hospitality is. Everyone I met and talked to, from the landscape staff, free drink cart operator, cash cage workers, security personnel, hotel and restroom staff, everyone. Was surprised to hear many have been there for 15, 20 or more years. All said they love working there, love the benefits, management. Some left other jobs to work here. They really make you feel welcome.

I grew up in San Diego during the 60s. Schools back then did not cover the history of our Native Americans. If you have a little extra time, the Barona Cultural Center & Museum is just a short drive to 1095 Barona Rd. I spent about an hour there reading up on their history. So much I did not know. http://www.baronamuseum.org/

Consider a stay here next time you want a break from daily life. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side overlook the lake and countryside, nice sunset views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LocalGuySDCA
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed here several times, and each time I find something new to love this place. Rooms are spacious, bathroom is huge with separate bath and shower. Towels are excellent quality. There is a Kreug coffee maker in room. I miss the turn down service with the chocolate on the bed, but they leave the chocolate on night stand now. Beds are so comfortable and firm, sheets are bright white. The staff is wonderful, friendly and always available to help...even at 3:00 a.m. As you exit, you can request cold water bottles for your trip home....I was offered it once when I checked out, and now I just ask at the reception area and always provide it for me.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gsaldana
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stay at this hotel twice a year because of how close it is to the theater my daughter performs at wo th her theater company. The only drawback is that the pool is very small & gets very crowded in warm weather.

• Stayed: May 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeside
Best Western Santee Lodge
Best Western Courtesy Inn
Best Western Courtesy Inn
#3 of 15 in El Cajon
Viejas Casino & Resort

Been to Barona Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!