Barona Resort & Casino
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
Average 3/5
    View Hotel
    All reviewssan diegovalley viewate at the steakhousegreat casinosage restaurantnon smoking sectionresort casinokeurig coffee makerpoker roomseparate showernice resortcasino floorcasino staffparking garagebalboa parkpalarincon
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 15 August 2009

I gave a rave review on Barona Valley Ranch Hotel and Casino last summer after my wife, my son and I stayed there for two nights. We liked it so much we decided to go back for 4 days and 3 nights as part of our San Diego vacation from July 29th to Aug 1st.

They have not slipped a bit. The hotel and guest rooms are still very well maintained. The hotel staffs are still very pleasant, friendly and helpful (the concierge printed the boarding passes for our flight). The slot machines are still not too tight.

There are plenty of dining options: From steak house to buffet to fast food, Mexican to Chinese, dining in at the coffee shop or room service if you so choose. We liked Chinese food so we mostly ordered to go from Ho Wan and enjoyed them in our room at dinner time. They were delicious and reasonalby priced. Besides Chinese, there were also Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and Filipino fares. Alcohol is still not allowed on the casino floor and that was not an issue for me and my wife, though you can have a drink in restaurants or your room. There were plenty of non-alcoholic beveages readily available while you are playing the Wheel of Fortune or doubling down. The swimming pool was more than adequate and it was usually not too crowded (our room had a view of the pool). There is also a golf course that was voted one of the best in California.

Barona is only a 35 minutes drive to downtown and other area attractions. And the road was not that difficult to navigate. We visited:
    CORONADO ISLAND:
    A peninsula connected to downtown by a bridge. From there you can see the skylines and shorelines of downtown San Diego in a different prospective. At Ferry Landing there are shops and restaurants.
    OLD TOWN:
    A historic site with native art and craft shops and very good Mexican restaurants.
    SEA WORLD:
    Among top local attractions. Fun and educational for grown-ups and kids alike.
    HORTON PLAZA;
    A nice local shopping mall in the downtown area with most of the brand name stores.
    They offer up to 3 hours free parking whether you make a purchase or not.

Another plus for the hotel is that, unlike other downtown hotels, Barona does not charge for valet parking and fee for internet access. I read a review saying that he was charged $17 by Mandalay Bay just to print their boarding passes. Now that is insane!

It was another nice stay at Barona and a wonderful vacation in San Diego where we saw the old and the new. So if you are visiting San Diego and want to mix in with a little gaming actions, Barona is definitely the one for you.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
    1  Thank chuckking
    Reviewed 27 July 2009

My husband and I chose to stay in San Diego for our weekend getaway, we researched all the local casinos. We finally settled on Barona because we they offered a "Romantic Moments Package" which included a deluxe room, 100.00 at the Barona Steakhouse, 50.00 breakfast in bed room service credit and a box of chocolates.
    I was not to thrilled about the 3:00 pm check in and the 11:00 am check out, that isn't even a 24 hour period if your staying for one day! Anyways, we were pleased when we called the day we were suppose to check in and was told we could check in as early as 11:00. But it all went down hill from there. When we checked in, the lady checking us in was very rude and didn't answer any of our questions. I had never stayed there so I had questions about the casino and where things where in the hotel. She brushed us off and sent us on our way.
    The room was very nice, and it overlooked the golf course. Since we were here for a relaxing weekend we decided to head to the pool, which was full of 30 kids and no chairs available for sitting. Each chair had been taken and the staff at the pool didn't offer to get us any other ones. They just watched us walk around trying to find a place to sit down. (I am 4 months pregnant, so I wanted to just sit and read my magazine while my husband got in the pool). We finally ended up giving up after 20 mins of waiting for people to leave and sitting on the hot ground. After being checked into the hotel for 5 hours we still had not recieved our "welcome gift" that came with our package. I had to call twice, and finally they brought us a box with 2 pieces of chocolate in it! The website just said " box of chocolates". Maybe that was our fault for assuming it meant a whole box of chocolates but 2 chocolates?!
    When we went to dinner at the Barona Steakhouse, I couldn't complain about anything! Service was excellent and the food was amazing!!! It seemed like a whole new staff in the casino compared to the hotel. Everyone in the casino was very friendly and helpful.
    The morning of checkout we called to order our Breakfast in Bed from room serivce, and I called at 7:30 Sunday morning, so I was expecting a wait of atleast 45 mins, so when I started ordering (don't forget we had 50.00 credit, so my husband wanted a couple things to make sure we spent the 50.00) the lady who took our order was very rude and interupted me in the middle of my order to say "How many people are you ordering for" and I said just two, but my husband would like a couple things. There was a 40 min wait, and the food was great.
    Overall the accomadations and food was great, but the customer service left a bad taste in my mouth. Next time I will consider the other casinos before I come back here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank San_Diego_Mommy
    Reviewed 23 July 2009

Barona Valley Ranch Hotel and Casino offers lovely rooms, all the amenities and a nice casino. The golf course and walking trails are full of nature. The Barona Valley is one of the prettiest spots in San Diego County.

Reviewed 3 July 2009

The Good: The property - absolutely beautiful, The rooms - clean, spacious, and comfortable, The staff (hotel & casino): friendly and helpful, The casino: fun and affordable ($5 tables all the fime), the resturants - nice selection, and affordable.

The Bad: With no alcohol allowed outside your room, the rooms were the place to party. We had 3 out of 5 nights in which we had to call security due to loud neighbours that continued on well past 3:00am and for people fighting in the hallway. After calling security, everything was peaceful. We were told afterwards that their policy is 1 warning, then they are out. Since the 3 nights we had problem encompased 3 different occupants, it was just our bad luck.

back to the good: Because our complaints were all recorded on our file, upon checkout the manager, sincerely and respectfully apologized, and compensated us for our troubles. This was all very much appreciated! Other than a few nights of only a few hours sleep, we had a great time and we look forward to returning for another vacation.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank cinderbear
    Reviewed 11 June 2009

The service is wonderful, The rooms are spacious and clean, The views are beutiful!
    And lets not forget the restrants are Very good as well! I stay here whenever I want to get away for awhile.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends