“This place has really gone down hill the last few years!”

Great Wall Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 244 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The Great Wall was always a favorite place to eat in Lancaster. The portions were great and the food really tasty. The service was usually excellent depending on who served you. Life was good!

Now, almost ten years later, we were passing through town and thought we would stop in for lunch.

The place looked exactly the same both outside and in. The booths and tables all looked the same and even some of the same servers were working there!

We wanted to sit in a booth so we ended up waiting a bout twenty minutes for one. When our turn came we followed a server to a table behind the wall in a sort of storage room. I immediately said "No, we want a booth" and took my wife's hand and walked back up to a booth that we had walked by.

Of course they had just seated a couple in "our" booth and said we would have to wait again. We were pissed - they were indifferent.

We looked at the menus while we sat... Prices were way up. Looking at the portions being served, they were about 20% smaller.

We were still fuming while waiting with others when a lady in the front booth shouted "There's a cockroach in my food!!". Everyone was watching as a waiter ran over, grabbed the bug out of her food, threw it on the floor and stomped on it. Yuck!
..''
As we were immediately walking out the door on our way to Black Angus, my wife says to me " They say you can never go back home again" meaning things are never as we remember them when we go back. I on the other hand was thinking to myself that wasn't the lady that screamed sitting in "our" booth? I didn't mention that to my wife or she would have been sick just thinking that could have been her plate the cockroach was joyriding on!

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is okay. The food could be better, I've tasted better, more authentic, Chinese food for the same price. If your family is Asian like mine is and cooks Chinese food, then don't waste your time coming here. The wait time is good and the staff is nice, but maybe it could be cleaner in ways.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Honestly, I have dined in fancier restaurants in terms of ambiance. However; in this world, you get what you pay for! Why pay inflated prices for 'very good" cuisine when it is not necessary. The location is always packed during lunch time! Ask yourself a simple question, why? Let common sense be your guide. the locations also contains a full service bar serving liquor. The service is better than average as well. Not to mention the fact that the location is five minutes from my residence. My family and myself will continue to enjoy!

Raymond

Reviewed 4 March 2014

People are very friendly. Waiting time not to bad.
The food taste great.
Prices awesome and amount given perfect!

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I wish folks with small children would not let the kids throw food and rice all over the floor. Then they leave, with their kids' mess on the floor. This is a constant at Great Wall. It's cheap and it draws that kind of crowd. Don't get me wrong, I am not better than them. Frank S. just has some class.

2  Thank Frank S