“Big Bend Lodge -- Better Than A Time Machine!”
Review of Big Bend Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leggett
Big Bend Lodge
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Boy am I happy that Big Bend is BACK! My husband and I spent a night there recently and were thrilled to meet the new managers, John and Joy, and to hear all about the new owners and their plans. Take everything the last few reviewers have said and double it, and please, take my word for it, there is nothing like it anywhere. Maybe I’m prejudiced since my dad helped Ace and Grandpa Anthony and my Uncle Joe (Ace’s brother) build it back in the 1940’s, and my first home was just up the hill, a stone’s throw from the Lodge -- but I don’t think so. It’s always been an awesome place, and continues to be so. What makes it so unique is that it’s been carefully restored, but is essentially unchanged. I love that about Big Bend. It’s like going back in time. I can hardly wait to gather everyone together for a big family reunion there next year. If you want to get away, this is the place. I give it my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 September 2011

The new owners have really made this place shine. The cabins are comfortable and have all you need. The kitchen is fully stocked, each cabin has it's own grill and the place overflows with charm. We traveled up with our extended family and our dogs and had a most wonderful time. The lodge offers inter-tubes to float on the river and three different private beaches to choose from. The innkeeper and his family are as sweet as can be and were there for us whenever we had questions. Lots of things for the kids to do: ping-pong, basketball, volleyball, tire swing...it's great to get them into nature. We also loved visiting the chickens in the back and feeding them our food scraps. The bathroom is small but gets the job done. (We stayed in cabin 10). When the time came to check out, nobody wanted to leave as we were having such a great time....so we all added one extra day to our trip. That's how good a time we had at this charming lodge.

Room Tip: Dogs are only allowed in 2 of the cabins (9 and 10), so book early.
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My family and I go to Big Bend Lodge every year. It has such special memories for me. It has been sold several times and now it is owned by 6 families that have been spending their vacations at the lodge for many years. They are working very hard to bring Big Bend Lodge back to what was, a truly unique and relaxing experience. It has always been a getaway for the people that love to spend several days or weeks there, but now it is truly wonderful. If you are looking for the perfect place to restore your mind and soul, a place where you and your family can experience nature, then this will be the place for you! The Eel Rive has many wonderful swimming holes, breathtaking views and many places to hike. The housekeeping cabins are comfortable, neat and clean, best of all there is no TV or phones! The manager, John and his family are so gracious, kind and will bend over backwards to make your Big Bend Lodge experience comfortable. I love the lodge and I am beyond thrilled that it is now in the hands of people who truly care about it and understand what Big Bend Lodge is all about. I highly recommend a vacation there and if you were a customer in the past, please give it a try again. You will love it! BIG BEND LODGE is back!

3  Thank LynneA123
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I've been coming to Big Bend Lodge for years, in fact, it has become a solid annual tradition in our family. My husband proposed to me on 'Fraidy Cat Beach and we even got married there (see picture)! The cabins are adorable and the proximity to the river can not be beat! It's the best place I've ever found to just unwind, unbothered by the outside world. The new owners are also long-time visitors who are committed to keeping the Lodge open to the many families who have discovered its tranquil appeal. The setting is beautiful and child-friendly--and the new managers are SO sweet and hospitable (although I sure missed Joan's colorful stories around the nightly campfire!). The rates are very reasonable and intertubes are now provided for FREE. Yay! So come and float in the cool jade waters of the Eel River. Bring delicious things to BBQ. Let your kids catch tadpoles and jump off the rocks. It's so awesome, in this hectic-techy world, to have an escape, a place you can go to reforge your connection to nature. Take a deep breath and relax! You deserve it.

2  Thank StaceyEka
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We were so sad to leave Big Bend Lodge today. From intertubing down the Eel River to roasting marshmellows and telling stories around the nightly campfire, this was the perfect escape for my family from our hectic urban life. The facilities were kept up well, clean cabins with pergo floors, small kitchens, and a bedroom off the living space. The new manager John and his family are gracious, warm people, who made certain we had everything we needed. My children did not have a dull moment and would unanimously agree that our time at Big Bend will go down as one of our best family vacations. We look forward to returning next summer.

1  Thank EliseStokes
Reviewed 22 June 2011

What a delight...! I am so thrilled we had the chance to spend 3 days at Big Bend Lodge and can't wait to return. The cabins are really comfortable and clean. My kids had a super time between the river, ping pong, basketball, and visiting with the chickens!!!

1  Thank LABBayArea
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The Big Bend Lodge is fantastic: mid-century modern vacation. New owners understand the appeal of simple, retro-vacation mindset, as well as mid-century design sensibilities. Kids had a great time, met other kids who had been coming for years, felt like old time summer. Watch this spot.

1  Thank margeigh

Been to Big Bend Lodge? Share your experiences!