“A World Apart, We Can't Wait To Go Again.”

Plantation Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Lemon Cove B&B and Inns
Bakersfield, California
“A World Apart, We Can't Wait To Go Again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

Loved our stay at the Plantation. I was calling around looking for reservations for a birthday getaway. I had called and asked some questions. A few minutes later, the innkeeper called me back and was so helpful and accomodating. Great follow through! I was so impressed with how much they cared, my mind was made up, and off to the Plantation we went. Scott and Marie, the Innkeepers were so welcomming, so hospitable that we instantly felt comfortable and relaxed. They made us feel like honnored guests. The accomodations were comfortable and creative- soft, warm flannel sheets and pillows we would have loved to take home! We loved the murals, photography and "Gone With THe Wind" theme. We had never seen the movie before, but enjoyed watching it while there, cuddled up with our blankets in front of the fireplace.
Marie's cooking is so good! Fresh, delicious and beautifully presented. She went out of her way to prepare birthday breakfast for me, comlete with candle in my French toast, fresh dafodills and a happy birthday song. Scott and Marie are beautiful people. We are blessed to consider them our new friends. Location was great. It's only a short trip into Exeder for Antique shopping, fruit stands, and friendly neighbors. A real step back in time. Just up the road, we went up to the Nation Park and giant Redwoods, The Doll's Nest doll shop( beautiful artwork from Russia), Reimer's a candy and ice cream shop famous to the local's, and ate over the river with a wonderful view. So much to do in the area, just couldn't do it all in one trip. We're planning on going back and taking the rest of our family, and of course, we'll want to stay at the Plantation again and visit with our new friends, Scott and Marie.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank troutmn2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

I have been coming to this particular bed and breakfast for several years. The offical welcoming committee (Scott & Marie) always treat my like royality. They're so warm and friendly I also feel like family. I believe I have tasted many of Marie's breakfast selections they offer and found I had to buy the cookbook they were so good. We also stay in the same room. It's cozy, homey and the fireplace is so relaxing. The period decor is full of history of a grand era. The location is perfect for people who love the quiet countryside setting, and the grounds are well manicured and beautiful. The best part about this for me is it's only a day and half drive to get there and there is so much to do in the immediate area. What I like least is that the time seems to fly by and then it's time to leave. I keep thinking if I hang around often enough maybe they'll adopt me.........

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheOregonLady
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

My husband and I made our annual holiday visit and as usual we stayed in our favorite room, Aunt PittyPat. Very clean room and delightfully decorated in mauve, blue and lace. Very romantic for the two of us! We like this room because of its closeness to the jacuzzi and pool. Room has its own heating/ac unit and we were quite toasty and not cold at all. Bathroom area spacious and filled with lace, very tastefully done. As usual Scott and Marie were wonderful hosts and are always a pleasure to be around. The vegetarian breakfasts were a treat each morning. Something different served each day which is a refreshing change from the standard fare at other B&B's. Relaxing in the parlour in front of the fire was really great upon our return from the Sequoia Park. We have stayed at the Plantation many times since our honeymoon 8 years ago, and would highly recommend The Plantation to anyone who wanted a clean, comfortable and romantic place to stay!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bunnyfan
Telluride, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

Clever wording and a wide angle lens over-embellish this establishment. I wish I had read the reviews on your website prior to booking. In hindsight, it appears the owners wrote all of the reviews on their website and the bnb.com site. Our stay was to have been three nights, but we shortened it to two because we were so MISERABLE. The flimsy blankets and old sheets were unbelievably distasteful and we were cold for two nights. The non-functioning shower situated near the bed was unacceptable. There was only an opaque curtain to separate the two. This place was a waste of money and I am attempting to get a refund.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Beausy
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

We stayed 3 nights at the Plantation B&B and had a wonderful time. We stayed in both the Mammy room and Aunt Pitty Pat's due to some maintenance requred on the property and each was charming in its own way. We were inspired to watch GWTW during our stay.

The owners, Scott and Marie are wonderful, warm and informative. Marie's breakfasts were delicious and kept us statisfied until dinner time.

I read some of the criticisms on this site and I'm very surprised. It's not a hotel - it's more like a friend's home, so some of the rooms aren't huge, but they are certainly comfortable - we were out at the parks all day anyway, and spent little time in the room. which was appointed with everything we could need (incxluding nightlights in Pittypat because of the step-up nature of the bath area)

I have already recommended the Plantation to several friends as a terrific place to stay.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, pA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

We had a great time at the Inn. The owners were so nice and friendly. Breakfast was marvelous and the hot tub at night under the stars was blissfully romantic. I only wish that we had stayed another night!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

Based upon the reviews we had read, we booked three nights at the Plantation (special buy 2 nights, get 1 free). We arrived late on Friday night and were shocked with our accommodations. We were in Mammie's room. The room was VERY small. The attached bathroom is nothing more than a closet. The shower was so small, you could barely turn around. The room was dirty (the two bedside tableclothes were covered in dust, the valance above the patio door had numerous large dirty spots, and most disgusting was the large bug-filled cob web above the patio door inside the room). After three days, the cob web was still there! The entire property needs alot of work. Regarding the hosts, Scott is friendly and if you ask him, he will help with sight-seeing and driving suggestions. Marie, on the other hand, is very quiet and prides herself in her cooking!. The breakfasts were very good, however, given the price we paid and the poor & dirty accommodations, we were very disgusted and would never recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,233 reviews
John Muir Lodge
John Muir Lodge
#3 of 4 in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park

Been to Plantation Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!