“It's all about the experience”

Glendeven Inn Mendocino
Ranked #1 of 7 Little River B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kansas City, MO
“It's all about the experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Glendeven Inn has become a tradition for us - and I feel spoiled just saying that. My wife and I stayed in the Garret room (we've also stayed in the Bay View room) on this most recent visit for a couple of nights and I wish it had been longer. It's one of the highlights of our trip from Portland to San Francisco. All the little things that contribute to the wonderful experience are so well done. This time we got to feed the llamas, which was REALLY cool. John is a GREAT owner/host, and his staff is also great. Couldn't be more hospitable and responsive and friendly. The wine bar(n) also adds to the experience. First of all, the wines are local and it's a great selection. And you can buy the bottles right there if you like them, no need to go to the wineries (many of which are right down route 128, we stopped at a couple of them ourselves on the way out). The second night we had a brussels sprouts dish as the small plate served with the wines. And we usually end up having a nice conversation with other guests. This place does such a great job of being a terrific bed and breakfast but without being intrusive or stuffy or all too rabbits-in-dresses. Then there are the delicious breakfasts. And the chickens. And Jon running his dog in the morning. Honestly, I don't know if I'd even stay in the Mendocino area if it weren't for this place. It is truly a destination in and of itself and our vacation would not be nearly as memorable without it. It adds so much to the trip. I also think the place is a good value, too. Boy, do you get a lot for your money. I HIGHLY recommend the Glendeven. If you're staying in the Mendocino area, you are crazy if you don't stay here. Now sure I haven't stayed everywhere else in the area but I talk to other people and I'm telling you, just stay here, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Garret room is less expensive than the Bay View and you have an extra flight of stairs to walk but i...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

Our 3 night stay at Glendeven Inn was my best ever on Mendocino Coast.
I've been in the travel industry for over 30 years; I'm my most difficult client!
We chose to have our breakfast(delicious, different each morning) in the dining room overlooking the ocean, and of course those llamas.
Nan was incredibly helpful, and I trust anyone staying at Glendeven will feel equally welcomed by her genuine warmth, hospitality. The Inn's owner, John, was 'hands on' every evening for wine tasting, serving his homemade appetizers; checking in with us to see if we needed anything each morning!
I will certainly recommend Glendeven to my clients, friends and look forward to a return visit.
Rachel's Inn was my favorite years ago. Glendeven recently has purchased this property. This is a very special place.
Sandra

Room Tip: garden room was small(well priced) but tastefully furnished, so felt spacious, and just accross from...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sgussler
reno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Garret room. You can see photos of it on their website. Very cool gabled windows that provide a view of the ocean and also of the llamas that live in the back yard. The furnishings are spare and tasteful. None of the cheesy chintz and antiques that you often see in a B&B. All told, it's a fairly peaceful place to spend a few days while in Mendocino. The inn, however, is located right on a fairly busy road, so you do hear cars and trucks driving by at pretty regular intervals. Not really a big issue for us. My big gripe is the coffee. It's pretty terrible. I like great coffee, but I'm happy with decent coffee--McDonalds will do in a pinch. So understand when I say the coffee at the inn was consistently terrible, it was truly terrible. Stale, bitter, crappy coffee. The breakfasts, which they bring to your room on a tray, were ok. Egg dishes, fruit, yogurt, etc. It's nice if you enjoy privacy and don't like mingling with people. I tended to miss the fun of interacting with strangers over breakfast. This inn is quite nice, especially if you prefer privacy to the more conventional B&B camaraderie of shared meals.

Room Tip: I liked the garret room for the views.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Eichenhof, Owner at Glendeven Inn Mendocino, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write, we appreciate it. We are so glad you liked your stay a lot! That’s what we hope for.

For future guests, note that we seldom have issues with noise from the Shoreline Highway. All of the inns in the area that are on or near the ocean as we are, or are in the village of Mendocino have their share of noise of some kind or another. We are so glad that our walls are thick, the buildings are well-built, and our windows are secure. Noise is seldom an issue as can be seen by our reviews.

Regarding our coffee, I’d like to explain how we chose what we serve and why. First of all, we have served the same coffee here for five years, and have never had a complaint about its quality before. Like anything, everyone has personal tastes, and it is hard to please everyone all of the time.

Our coffee is a Rwandan shade grown coffee that is locally roasted at the Thanksgiving Coffee Company in Fort Bragg. When we first bought the inn, we thought it would be nice to make a “Glendeven blend” and so were offered to do a blind tasting – or rather a “cupping” as we learned it’s called in the coffee world – to taste all of their different offerings then blend them. But as we did this on the wooden lazy Susan-type table with the coffee just being freshly roasted in front of us, we realized in this blind tasting, that we really liked the Gorilla Blend from Rwanda, and that is what we serve. In addition to being our top favorite, and enjoyed by thousands of people here at Glendeven over the years, it also raises money for Dian Fossey’s gorilla program, and we like that part of it a lot.

Our decaf is also from Thanksgiving Coffee and is the Songbird blend.

So when you’re at Glendeven, please let us know what you think of the coffee we serve. If somehow it’s off or not right, we will make it right without a question.

We are so appreciative that you took the time to read this, and we hope to see you soon.

Until then,
John, Owner
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We first heard of Gleneven Inn from an article profiling them in the NY Times. Our three night stay there was undoubtedly one of the best traveling experiences we ever had. I had casually mentioned over the phone that I was celebrating my birthday and our wedding anniversary and when we got to our gorgeous room a bottle of champaigne was awaiting us. All from a casual comment over the phone! Needless to say the rest of the stay was as memorable as the beginning. We elected to have their farmhouse dinner which is served three times a week and it was as good as any four star restaurant in San Francisco our home town. Dining with eleven other strangers from around California and Nevada was a "blast". Never had more fun with total strangers in my life. And finally the staff was just unbelievably competent, friendly and caring. This is one special place! And don't start me on the chickens and llamas.......

Room Tip: There are a couple of ocean view rooms you should try to book.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce O
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

We took a spur of the moment trip to Mendocino. Even though Glendeven requires a two night minimum stay, they were kind enough to accomodate us for just Sat night (caveat: we called on Thursday, two days before). They didn't have two rooms available at the inn but they offered us the cottage in Albion, which turned out to be a cute homey little place. It appears that it is owned by a family and Glendeven manages it for them. There isn't much around Albion and there's not much of a view except from the upstairs bedroom, it's quaint and it accommodates up to six people and was very reasonable. We will definitely be back.

Highly recommended for a trip with multiple couples.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Modesto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I just returned from a weekend at Glendeven Inn near Mendocino. We loved this place! The inn is quaint and nicely appointed. The property sits across Highway 1 from the ocean and is very peaceful and beautiful. The farm atmosphere was wonderful! I was a little nervous about chickens being noisy or the property smelling like a "farm" but this was not the case at all! In fact, the property smelled like wonderful gardens, redwoods and lavender - it was heavenly! And the animals were fun to watch and feed, but we honestly never heard a peep out of them during our stay! Our room (Briar Rose) was roomy, cozy and welcoming! We were amazed how quiet it was, too - very little freeway noise during the day and silent at night - even with the french door open! The balcony was a relaxing place to sit with a beautiful view of the property and ocean! The breakfasts were outstanding and ample!! We went over to the wine bar(n) for complementary wine hour and had mixed reviews. The only wine that was offered as complementary was a sweet white - we prefer red... but the plate of appetizers was wonderful. The service was a bit lacking, but I overheard that they were having computer issues, so they seemed preoccupied with that. My only real complaint - and it's quite minor- is that the rooms do not have hair conditioner. It seemed odd that they had shampoo, lotion, and shower gel, but no conditioner. I asked for some at the reception desk, and they said that they do not have any and could not get any. Minor, but my husband had to go out and get me some early in the morning so I could get a comb through my hair! Should have brought my own, but for the price, I did expect that they could find some.....all in all, a wonderful place!!!!

Room Tip: Briar Rose is spacious, comfortable, and has a wonderful view from the deck!! Very quiet and privat...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

Great place to stay when visiting Mendocino. Everything was excellent, food, service,
ect. I would go back in a heartbeat. We stayed in the Garden Room and loved it. The
attention to detail is well thought out.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 2 in Little River
Inn at Schoolhouse Creek
Inn at Schoolhouse Creek
#3 of 7 in Little River

Been to Glendeven Inn Mendocino? Share your experiences!