“Fun trip; entertaining guides”
Review of Kayak Mendocino

Kayak Mendocino
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Really enjoyed our sea cave experience. Unable to get into more than 1 cave because of windy conditions. Guides Sharky and Steve were super fun, instructive, and looking out for us as the waves swelled. Great company that provides all you need for the trip out on the seas (wetsuit; windbreaker; water shoes; obviously kayaks. Guides do a good job of instructing you, just watch out for the other novice kayakers - they mostly look out for themselves and not for any one else.

There are newer reviews for Kayak Mendocino

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Sea kayaking off the coast in Mendocino was easily one of the coolest things that we've ever done! The scenery was breathtaking and seals swam around our kayaks.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I have read the reviews and wanted to add my two cents. We stayed an extra day in Mendocino in order to Kayak the Pacific Ocean and paddle through the caves. The day was beautiful,the water calm, and our guides, Dylan and Craig were very accommodating and engaged. We were thrilled to see Starfish, Harbour Seals, Pelicans, Oyster Catchers and numerous other sea birds in a manner that respects their natural habitat.

Should you go.... Why would you not?

1  Thank EvangalineWaits
Reviewed 3 July 2012

we had a fantastic time. The caves were great. The guild wonderful. It was really windy and that made it more exciting. We had varied levels and I was in a boat with my 11 yo. I'm so glad we did it. It is a work out.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

For the past month, each time I drive past Van Damme Park Beach, I remember with fondness my third Kayak Mendocino expedition. I live in Little River and had taken the trip twice before with visiting relatives once and then again with 3 local students I was mentoring.) For this, rather last minute trip, I reserved space for students from the Partnership Scholars Program. There were 8 of us all together. (5 kids aged 13 to 17 and 3 adult mentors.)

It was a perfectly calm, warm and sunny day with a light breeze. We gathered on the beach where Craig Comen, the owner of Kayak Mendocino, handed out all kinds of equipment -- everything we would need for our adventure: a kayak, paddle, wet suit, light jacket, lifesaving vest, and booties, all of which we put on over our bathing suits.

On the beach, he gave us brief instructions about centering ourselves on the kayaks so as not to fall out and how to stop the boat if need be. Then, we were off. The kids became instant pros. We paddled out, into and through some wonderful caves. Gazing up into a dazzling silvery cave ceiling, I felt like I was entering one of my collage paintings. We went into several caves -- all beautiful echo chambers. Continuing around the side of the coast, we paddled through a channel next to sunbathing seals on rocks. We all felt safe, secure and blissful. The kids easily learned some new skills they weren't originally sure they could handle. It was exciting -- but not too exciting. Craig was a kind and knowledgeable guide. What an extraordinary experience. Anyone visiting the Mendocino Coast should consider calling Craig and reserving a spot on one of his trips. I think Van Damme is the perfect place to go out into the ocean. It's somewhat sheltered. The route Craig takes avoids anything scary so there is time to simply enjoy the beauty of the coast cliffs, plants, and wildlife from the perspective of actually being in it. We were all blissed out when we got to the shore. What a marvelous experience. I'm sure I'll do it again and again. I never tire of looking at the ocean. Being in it is even better.
Rachel B.