First of all, we are getting married in Mendocino... and I *wish* that we had visited the Andiron before we booked accommodation for our guests and even the wedding ceremony and reception itself.
I can't give the Andiron, Scott, and Madeleine enough stars. I was really excited about staying there, thanks to the great website, and the Andiron exceed my very high expectations.
We stayed in the Play and Make rooms -- these are just behind the office/lobby, but there was no noise. The rooms were a steal and incredibly fun -- in one room we had paint by numbers on the wall, knitting materials, rubber stamps, paper, artsy stuff, and in the other board games and other fun little touches. The decor is adorable and practical at the same time. Madeleine has a definite eye for decor and art. Really impressive.
I really appreciate the eco-friendly approach and care that Scott and Madeleine have taken with that -- they don't use teeny throwaway shampoo bottles, but equip your room with high-end eco-friendly goodies. They don't clean your rooms unless requested (and are perfectly happy to do so if you request). There are recycling bins outside each cabin. That sort of consciousness just makes you feel better about having a decadent weekend away!
We arrived on a Friday and settled into happy hour between 5 and 6. Scott had made a delicious fondue with fresh vegetables and other goodies. I can't really call it a wine "tasting" because the Scott kept generously refilling my glass! There were great local wines as well as local beers... It was a fun time sitting around in comfy, cute surroundings, meeting other guests, and letting our dogs mingle!
The one down side, for pet-owners, is that dogs cannot be left in the room alone. Initially I was worried about this, but actually it worked out just fine because the dogs are welcome at happy hour (as long as they are friendly) and our dog was perfectly comfortable waiting in the car when we went out to dinner or elsewhere -- it just doesn't get that hot in Mendocino.
Thanks to the informative info in our room we found the "secret beach" which was a wonderful tranquil space on a sunny Saturday morning. Saturday's happy hour lived up to Friday's with Madeleine's creations -- variations on 50s hor d'oeuvres using fresh locally grown vegetables.
This is now our go-to place in Mendocino -- we would recommend for couples, friends, or hiring out the whole place for a group celebration. I would say that it works for all ages -- my parents (in their 50s) also accompanied us and had a wonderful time. I think that older generations would also enjoy staying at the Andiron.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Andiron is 11 one- and two-room cabins perfectly situated on five acres of meadow and woods on Highway 1 in Little River, California. Minutes away from everything - beaches, wineries, diving, hikes, Mendocino, breweries, good food - but quiet, relaxing, and fun, our housekeeping cabins and rooms are each entirely unique and reflect our love of everything vintage, salvage, rehabbed, and recycled. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your The Andiron -- Seaside Inn & Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Andiron -- Seaside Inn And Cabins
- The Andiron -- Seaside Inn & Cabins Hotel Little River