“Views....Views...Views”

Heritage House Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Little River
Reviewed 29 December 2013

What an excellent experience staying here!....The staff are friendly....the Views are a Photographers dream....The room was Exceptional.....the grounds are very pretty with almost every room having somewhat of a view......Really the only thing that could have made this better is the addition of some hot items on the Breakfast in the morning such as Scrambled eggs and Bacon.
A great place for couples looking to "Rekindle" that first month!

The roads inside the resort are VERY small....if you are taking a huge vehicle know this in advance and don't say I didn't say so!

I am ready to go back!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room closer to the water if you can afford it!
3  Thank Richard G

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Last time visited was in January 2000 - wanted to return sooner yet anticipated it's reopening. We stayed 12/21-24. Resort is fantastic, beautiful remodel; look forward to another visit when resort is complete. We arrived late Sat. evening - knew we had an ocean view, heard the ocean but couldn't see it. Walked into the bathroom in a.m. and BAM! - what a view - took your breath away; same view from deck. Aside from a housekeeping snafu, which was handled to our satisfaction, the resort is beyond magical. Each guest is truly cared for with kindness and respect. On your visit, don't forget to walk the grounds - all of it - amazing!

Chef is just delicious - dining menu and morning breakfast, terrific!

You will miss out on a truly amazing experience if you don't stay at Heritage House - you won't just visit, you'll need to come back again Same Time Next Year!

Thank you Heritage House for another lovely stay. Until next time ...

Room Tip: Property is large - golf carts are available to get guests to/from dining room, if needed. Any room...
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This review is also based on our experience the first time we had dinner at the Heritage House Resort when they first re-opened.
My girlfriend and I wanted to give the heritage house another chance for dinner, as our experience the first time was so aweful. Needless to say we never made it into the dining room to have a better experience. Nor will we ever go back..

All these reviews that have been written down below are all based on the Heritage House Guests. Of coarse their customer service will be a memorable one.

We were locals just looking for a good dinner and thought we would try the HHR again and stop in without a reservation.. we walked in... That apparently was a bad idea. It upset the General Manager so much, that he actually said outloud, just so we could here " that is why making reservations are important" and walked away, then they turned us down...

The reservationist who went to the dining room to see if they could fit us in took atleast 10 minutes to come back. The reservationist at the front desk apologized and mentioned that they had a party of 12 and was sorry it was taking so long. This was a Saturday night and all they had occupied down there was 12 people at one table and the General Manager was so upset that we walk in without a reservation. WOW!!

I can atleast say the GM before when they HHR first reopended paid us a great deal of attention under the circumstances. Everything that could go wrong with food and experience did and they were very apologetic.

The word is the management company that opened the HHR was fired and they hired another. I do believe it, 1) was a reliable source and 2) before they had management sworming the dining room and this day all that i saw was that creepy - grumpy General Manager and some hired staff that was lost and bored due to lack of work, we did not see one customer roaming around.

I dont understand why the HHR just cant hire a great team with excellent customer service skills. This place has a long way to go as for proving its reputation and it seems to me they constantly keep falling in the same whole. Honestly my experience the other night was nerve wrecking. A General Manager should never speak that was to anyone, guests, stafff, gardeners, etc. I know the HHR very well and its previous ownerships that go all the way back to when the Dennen's owned it. I have seen a lot...

2  Thank k r
Dwayne L, Manager at Heritage House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear k r,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the way you were treated when giving 5200 Restaurant a second chance.

One of the resorts core values is "Everyone that comes through our gate is considered family"

It sounds like we failed miserably in this regard with you and your girlfriend and would humbly request the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Heritage House Resort.

Please call me (Dwayne Lewis) or come by the resort at your convenience, so that we can discuss your experience further.

Dwayne Lewis
Resort Manager

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Throughout the 1970's, I frequented the cocktail lounge at this hotel because several of my friends worked there. I was sad when it closed years ago, but went back there this weekend, and brought along another couple. While there is still construction in the works, our cabin/rooms were super clean, modern, comfortable, sophisticated, and the view was spectacular. We were in "Deerfield".
The staff was unbelievably helpful, prompt, and friendly. We had such a great time. Our friends brought their two old dogs, they loved it as well. (The dogs, I mean.) It was a nice way to show them the Mendocino Coast I've known for many years. Wonderful dining, fantastic galleries, breathtaking views. I'd go again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Go as soon as you can, this place will fill up when word gets out how wonderful it is. We stayed in...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This iconic resort on the dramatic Mendocino County coast in Little River California is quickly reestablishing itself as a 4-Star resort with all the needed amenities like wireless internet, flat screen TVs in every cabin/cottage and a restaurant gaining in quality and performance. The $10 million renovation is rapidly coming online and the results are outstanding. The buildings are spic and span with sleek and attractive interiors. Of course, it has always been the location, apparent isolation and the views that have made this 'Same Time Next Year' resort so special. We were not disappointed. The rooms have been priced to make the resort approachable for both local and distant traveler. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

After following so many posts about the Heritage House over the years, I was so sad to see it close as I had yearned to visit some day. Fast forward to November 2013 when I was searching for news about the resort and came across the September 2013 news post that the Heritage House was OPEN and taking reservations.

At that point, I went into gear and made reservations to get myself up there ASAP. Let me say that it is all that I romanticized about. The stunning cliffs and coastline greeted me each morning after a very comfortable sleep. The rooms are dotted about the huge property and they all have spot-on views.

A walkabout is a must just to breathe in healing fresh air and the smell of healthy aged pine trees. As I wandered about, I thought a lot about the Dennen family - how their hopes and dreams came to fruition with this place. I wish I could have met them as the grace and elegance still abounds here. There is a memorial plaque to the Dennen's that the Dennen children have placed near the gazebo that says "may the sea be your shelter". It made me think of times gone by and how life can race by us if we don't stop and treasure God's beauty in everything. I am grateful to the Dennens for creating this escape for others to share.

We stayed in a Carousel suite and it was warm, cozy, quiet, tranquil and very classic in style. The fireplace could be seen from either side of the suite. There was a seating area complete with a gorgeous sofa and side chairs. The bathroom was very open and featured a lovely stand alone bathtub and tile floors throughout that never seemed cold. The deck went from one end of the suite to the other with two sliding door entries. We loved sitting out on the deck being mesmorized by the ocean the sounds of nature.

Continental breakfast was a nice surprise as it came with the reservation. The granola was delicious and filling but I did try some chocolate chip bread with fresh strawberries and loved it! In the evening, we had the pleasure of dining at the resort. The first night, I wasn't too hungry but the flatbread with olive tapinade was very enticing. They also serve rolls and have a creamy balsamic vinegar that sticks to the bread and makes your mouth water...I'm going to purchase some soon. I had a large arugula salad with candied pecans and my friend had the special swordfish. Both of us were very pleased with our meal and our very kind and sweet waitstaff - 'Tia'. The next night I had the special risotto with local mushrooms. It filled me up but I still indulged in the chocolate mousse. My friend had broiled salmon with mashed potatoes and she was pleased with her selection as well. I could have sat there for hours watching the fireplace.

The folks that work at Heritage House are very welcoming and very knowledgeable about the past years of this landmark resort. Thank you to Joan, Brittany and all the others we interacted with. I hope I will see you again before too long. Keep the Welcome Home mat out for me ;-)

~Nancy

Room Tip: The Carousel suites are exquisite in every way.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ajsnas
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We had a delightful 3 night stay at the Heritage House Resort. The scenery from the 37 acres is incredible. The 37 acres is right on the coast. One day while walking we saw whales spouting. We spent happy hour watching the incredible sun sets.

Each cabin reportedly has a view of the ocean. This was certainly true of ours. It seems all "cabins" are being updated. Ours was quite luxurious with a gas fireplace. Even though it was quite cold while we were there it was easy to make our room comfortable.

The staff is great. We had 3 wonderful dinners at the Heritage House restaurant.

The best way to improve our experience would be to make it longer.

1  Thank Duncan P
Ocean View Lodge
Ocean View Lodge
#4 of 23 in Fort Bragg
The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach

Been to Heritage House Resort? Share your experiences!