“Absolutely the best B&B on the North Coast of California”

Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse
Ranked #5 of 7 Little River B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Absolutely the best B&B on the North Coast of California”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

Dennens Victorian Farmhouse is a wonderful, relaxing get away destination two miles south of Mendocino. The proprietors, Jo and Fred are not only warm and welcoming but they also serve the best gourmet breakfast right to your room each morning! The rooms are cozy, comfortable and tastefully decorated with all the amenities anyone could possibly need.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Winters, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

Pros and Cons? These are the only "Cons" to the Victorian Farmhouse......
Consistent in exceptional service.
Congenial how the innkeepers, Jo and Fred make you feel.
Concupiscent is how you will feel about your lover. In the mood. Awesome rooms.
Contagious. We were just there in June. Back again so soon. Have had friends and family catch the "Farmhouse Fever".

We've been to several B&Bs, and have found DVF far superior. They actually DO bring a scrumptious, homemade breakfast to your room. It will usually get you through 'til dinner. You owe it to yourself and to your partner to check this place out.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Humboldt Co.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

On this trip my husband and I stayed in the Mendocino Suite. We have now stayed in four different rooms and I think this is my favorite so far, however the other rooms are wonderful too. The King sleigh bed, oversized tub, two fireplaces, wet bar, flat screen TV and French doors open to a private balcony overlooking a beautiful meadow, just makes it so nice. The room is larger then I expected and it is very quite, so we really were able to relax and unwind.
Looking forward to our next trip. I think we may try the Quail Cottage, but not sure this room is wonderful.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Live Oak, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

I feel somwhat bad about writing this review, because we had a wonderful weekend overall...however, the room looked NOTHING like how it looked in the pictures on their website... I felt a little jipped, especially for how much my significant other paid for two nights there... Yikes. I expected classic, refined luxury, and we received Aunt Edna's sparsely-decorated guest house. The inkeepers were somewhat cold and not really that welcoming. They also neglected to mention that if you wanted to use the woodburning fireplace in the bedroom of the suite, that you absolutely-positively needed to leave at least one window open slightly... and as a result, our room filled with smoke, setting off all three smoke detectors just as we were about to get into the jetted tub. Instead, we had to open everything up, and flail towels around madly in an effort to clear the room, while being "greeted" by a secondary inkeeper with an accustaory tone. Breakfast was, in our opinion, not what it was cracked up to be according to the other reviews... Again, we had a nice, relaxing weekend overall, and I feel bad writing this, but there is definitely room for improvement here...

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Devilduckie
doraemma, Owner at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse, responded to this review, 5 November 2009
As an innkeeper I find it difficult to understand why someone would write a review that is not completely truthful. I have waited a while to respond because of this.

I am not so silly as to think we can please everyone all the time. However, we do try very hard to give our guests more than they would expect for the price. The pictures of the rooms, on our site, are of those rooms, un-retouched. I do find that people, when looking for an inn, sometimes get confused by what they have seen, and where. I think that may have happened here as the only difference in the room was a coffee table had been changed from white marble to black marble. Otherwise I am confused as to what was different.

We do our best to be welcoming when our guests arrive, as they are coming to our home. We really do want our guests to be comfortable and taken care of while they are with us. We stress if there is anything needed to please ask. I am sorry that they did not feel comfortable enough to ask us a few questions. The smoke problem would never have happened if they had said they were unfamiliar with a real wood burning fireplace and had asked for direction. The room got smoky because these guests had closed the flue and the smoke had no where to go but into the room. I know because I was the one who responded to the one smoke detector when it went off. I do understand that this must have been inconvenient and embarrassing for the couple, yet the flue and windows had to be opened to rectify the problem.

When a guest makes a reservation with us we do ask if there are any dietary restrictions or food allergies. I know that I cannot guarantee that everyone will love what they are served, but I can guarantee that they will not be served anything that they cannot eat, i.e. walnuts if they are allergic to them. These people had no dietary restrictions they told us about. They were served a homemade quiche with a potato crust the first morning with homemade strawberry and hazelnut scones or a buttermilk fruit cake, fresh organic fruit with homegrown strawberries. The second morning was peaches and cream filled crepes with a homemade peach sauce, fresh organic honeydew with organic raspberries and black berries. Our signature coffee, requested condiments and juice were also served. I truly am sorry that these dishes were not to their liking.

When this couple was leaving I made a point of saying good-by to them and asked how the weekend was, despite the smoke. They both said that had a great time and were comfortable. I wish they had given me the opportunity to address their concerns in person.
Alameda, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2009

I was working with a crew in a Geyserville winery March 20th & 21st. I hadn't been to Mendocino in quite a while, so I decided to drive up the coast and have myself a nice dinner and stay the night in town. I'd stayed in several of the other B&B's near there, but always drove past this one. Thought I'd give it a go this time. Now I won't stay anywhere else!! We knocked off early Friday, so I beat the crowd and got one of their nicest rooms (The Dennen Suite?). The decor is beautiful and Victorian era period perfect. The bed was so comfy - waaay better than mine at home, and my father sells Serta's "Perfect Sleeper" line. Very clean throughout and a delicious home made hot breakfast & coffee served in my room! Spent some time with Fred & Jo (owner - operators). You gotta love these people! I hugged them when I left! I will no longer wait for a "reason" to go to Mendocino and enjoy another stay at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse. Neither should you!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
SF bay area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

My boyfriend and I have stayed at Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse 2 separate times. The first time we stayed in a room with nice decor, and furnishings. If you love plush comfortable down bedding, this is the place to bunker down. It was very peaceful and relaxing and the breakfast was just fabulous. We visited a small beach just a short walk away from the Inn , then a short drive to town for an outstanding lunch at a local cafe. So nice. The second time we visited we stayed at Victorian Farmhouse again [since we had such a wonderful experience the first time], but this time we stayed in a little cottage named Quail. Oh my goodness!!! talk about super doper!! This room has a jacuzzi bathtub and a wood burning stove and a kitchen and a nice private deck , an extra room and a telescope!! Plus a second time we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast and stay.
I can't wait to visit the coast again and stay at Dennen's.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

Dennen's is a great place to get away on the Mendocino Coast. The rooms are neatly furnished with turn-of-the-century decor. We stayed in one with a cozy fireplace, jacuzzi and ocean view. The beds are very comfortable with feather pillows and electric blankets. The rooms are well insulated so we didn't need to use the electric blanket. Jo and Fred have done an excellent job upgrading this beautiful nineteenth century farmhouse on the east side of Hwy 1 about a half mile south of Little River, a couple of miles south of the town of Mendocino. It is a peaceful getaway. There are no TVs, or phones in the room and no cell phone reception. They do have WiFi which is quite fast, which we used to check restaurants in the area. Fred delivers breakfast each morning to your room. They always ask about food allergies and preferences. My wife and I enjoy good food and coffee and were not disappointed with the delicious gourmet breakfast delivered between 8:30 and 9:30AM. The Innkeepers are not intrusive but respond quickly to any special request or need. My wife likes a very warm bathroom in the morning, so they brought an extra heater for the bathroom. We have not stayed in a lot of B & Bs up there so we don't have a lot with which to compare Dennen's. There are lots of books about the local area available in the registration area. This is quickly becoming one of our favorite destinations set in a truly amazing natural land and seascape. We enjoyed great dinners at Albion River Inn and the Little River Restaurant. The Mendocino Hotel has reasonable lunches as does the North Coast Brewing Company in nearby Ft. Bragg.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
#2 of 7 in Little River
Cottages at Little River Cove
Cottages at Little River Cove
#4 of 7 in Little River

Been to Dennen's Victorian Farmhouse? Share your experiences!