“Friendly owner and staff”

Thomas Coyne Winery
Ranked #22 of 68 things to do in Livermore
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Sadly they aren't in their old location. However, if you just want to taste wine and get an ultra friendly staff this is the place to go. Unfortunately the winery is now is a rather drab warehouse location.

However, that said, we were greeted with love and they opened up prior to the official time. The owner even took me back into their warehouse for a private tour.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I have always been impressed with the selection and quality of the wines at Thomas Coyne Winery. The blend of Grenache, Syrah, Mouvédre and Petite Sirah in the Quest is my favorite; although I also liked, the rarely seen, Petite Verdot. I had the 2010 Petite Verdot and loved it's strong oak finish. We will miss the old location, but it won't stop us from visiting the winery.

3  Thank John B
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I am definitely sad to see they are moving the location of the winery. Amazing old Livermore ranch has history that money cannot buy. In the midst of all the big money operations it is nice to visit a true local location with history. Good wines not over the top, but they are a much better value than the rest of the valley wines.

2  Thank Nick M
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I was greatly surprised by this experience...A dirt road leads you to a fair parking lot, but the wine tasting "room" (if you can call it that) was occupied by a jewelry display on one side (and believe me, they could have used the room far better for sitting/benches, wine display...what a waste) The wine bar was about 6 ft. long and, well, I waited 10 minutes and still wasn't served so I left...Needless to say? Service isn't their strong suit overall and the logistics of this wine "room" are very, very inadequate. I live locally and visit wineries regularly from San Diego to Mendocino...Rather disappointed. I guess however, every experience can't be a sterling one! Their actual "place" for wine tasting is outside this barnlike structure in the hot sun with no real shade. Really?!

1  Thank MsBunny2011
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Coyne is a small winery, tucked away behind a home, not at all visible from the road. They make a variety of wines, and taste certain ones on certain days. We were there when they were tasting the Bordeaux varietals, unfortunate because we are more into the Rhone varietals. The wines were OK (but again, not quite to our taste). The one white we tried didn't impress us all that much. The staff was quite engaging, and shared some insights into the wines. They also noted that in the near future the tasting room will be moving, so check their web site to get an update.

An important issue for us is that the winery be kid friendly as we have a 12 year old. Some other wineries are more kid friendly, but at least the staff engaged her in conversation and she didn't feel too out of place.