This place is a delight! We flew out to CA to catch up with a short list of wineries we liked in the Livermore wine region and Napa. We chose to stay here for the Livermore portion and it made us wonder why we didn't skip the Napa part. Also, we wanted a geographically convenient venue to catch up with friends coming over from Reno.
So on the first night we were there, it was just the four of us and a delightful third couple who was there for the spa services (they raved about it!) and the wineries. It was a small group for the wine tasting which featured a local red and a local white (different selection each night). The host couple joined us and shared their great local knowledge. All of this is classy but low key. Day two began with breakfast brought out to an umbrella shaded table by the solar-heated pool. The hosts packed us a wonderful sandwich bag lunch that we took to a [secret] picnic table at a [secret] local winery that we had discovered on a prior visit to the region. After our afternoon visits, we returned to the inn for a different selection of local wines accompanied by bread, cheese, and the olive oil pressed from the olive tree grove at the inn. It doesn't get more local than that.
The rooms were great. The views from the pool area and all the rooms are spectacular. Within a 15 minute drive there are a few dozen truly excellent wineries along with the outstanding Greg Norman golf course at Wente which magically accommodates both the accomplished and modest golfer. Livermore really is a civilized alternative to Napa.
The inn claims to be world class. Is it? It's definitely up there. There is a lot to like.
As mentioned elsewhere, this place was featured in a Hotel Impossible episode (I downloaded and viewed the episode on iTunes after our visit) which focused on the new owners establishing the inn as a spa and wedding/celebration destination. We have no doubt it will succeed wildly at this. We're thinking it would also make a great buy-out-the-house family reunion venue.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a striking destination inspired by an extraordinary landscape melding the offerings of valley wine tasting, outdoor recreation and renowned spa treatments. Embrace the warm & unsurpassed beauty of the Livermore valley. The Purple Orchid features ten rooms and suites designed for the relaxation and comfort of our guests. Experience the tranquility of the property as you relax in the modern country rooms complete with fireplaces and private Jacuzzi tubs.As a guest of the Purple Orchid, we invite you to walk through our rose gardens before relaxing and socializing in one of our many common areas. Then join us for "Gathering Hour", take a refreshing dip in the swimming pool or unwind in the hot tubs. And don't forget to visit our Spa for pampering and rejuvenation of the mind and soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotel.de and Priceline so you can book your The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Purple Orchid Hotel Livermore
- Purple Orchid Inn, Resort And Spa