“Can't wait for our second stay here!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa

The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa
Bay Area
“Can't wait for our second stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

This is only the second review I have written, but after reading the previous ones, I couldn't help myself. I heard about the Purple Orchid on some Bay Area TV show. Two years ago I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday. We stayed in the Celestial Moon Suite, one of their most expensive rooms. We arrived to chilled champaign and a pristine suite. The staff was wonderful and we were served a great breakfast in our room. That same boyfriend and I are now married and about to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. We've booked the same room and are excitedly awaiting our big day. For the last two years I have raved to any and all friends about this place and I would recommend it to everyone!!

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Twain Harte, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2009

My Sister treated me to a day at the Spa for my Birthday. Our treatment of escape was the "Royal Treatment." We topped off our relaxation with a delicious lunch with wine and a soak in the Hot Tub. Erin gave us each wonderful facials and eye treatments. We each had dry, tired skin and Erin hydrated us and gave us both a personal skin care plan to combat the Winter Elements on our face. Jasmine and Lisa delivered exceptional full body massages. In fact, their touch was so good we had a hard time pulling our selves together to drive home. What a beautiful treat for me with such talented and well versed therapists. These ladies are good! Our lunch was wonderful and both Inn Keepers were polite and very kind to both of us. Fun to talk too! I will be back to the Inn for pampering and skin maintenance to come. I loved my experience and this is a first class spa. Thanks Sissy for a fantastic Birthday Spa Day, I will never forget it. -

• Liked — The Beautiful GArden and Amazing Spa
  • Disliked — That we had to go home and leave at the end of the day
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Northern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2009

My husband surprised me for an early Valentines gift, a Spa day at the Purple Orchid followed by lunch. We arrived half hour early as instructed, after not being able to find our reservation, they told us to wait in their lobby and someone will come to get us. As our appointment time approached, we asked if someone was going to get us and they said just to walk over to the massage room. We enter the room (a couples side by side massage), the room was less than 65 degrees, in the middle of February! The Masseuses come in and ask if we were "ready", we told them no one told us to get undressed (normally you are catered to the max at Spa facilities). The apologize for the miscommunication, ask us to undress and get under the "thin" blankets. The room was SO cold, especially without our clothes and the masseue had to apologize for "cold hands" while we were being massaged in a 65 degree room. Needless to say it was the coldest, most uncomfortable spa experience of our life. We couldn't wait for it to be over and when it was done, we decided to walk over to the private bathroom (without robes since they did not supply us with anything) to take a hot shower and wash off the oils, we found that there was no HOT WATER!!! They forgot to turn it on! We complained to management that this experience was the worst we have ever experienced (I have a sore throat the next day due to the cold environment) and he took off a hundred dollars off of the bill. We didn't even want to stick around for lunch since we were shivering. I don't wish this experience on my worst enemy, highly disappointed, glad that the manager took some money off of, but it was NOT worth the $140 that we did pay, it was hell!!! I will NEVER recommend this facility and will go out of my way to talk people out of visiting this place. I had heard such wonderful things about it, only to find it to be a big waste of money and time (had to get a baby sitter for that "romantic day" which turned out to be a visit to Hell Spa. Do NOT go there, it is NOT a Spa experience anyone would want to have.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The entire Spa experience
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank caprisunjuice
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

Had a schedule appointment for massage. It was a BIG disappointment. Had to wait more than two hours because the spa was short of staffs. NOT recommend Purple Orchid Spa to anyone. NOT worth the time & $$$.

• Disliked — service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank UnhappySanFrancisco
happytidings, Owner & Front Desk Receptions for SPA at The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa, responded to this review, 1 December 2008
In Response to "Unhappy SanFransico" posting.
I was very hurt to read this posting on trip advisor. I recall you and your party clearly. First off i would like to start by saying my name is Jennifer and I was working front desk when UnhappySF and her friend came in for spa treatments on Friday 11/14/08 . I was very honest and straight forward with them both well in advance. I had two massage therapist call in sick that day and alarted all spa clients whom would be effected by this. I had called her guest whom booked and i told them excatly what happened. I had asked them if they would like to reschedule and they said no they live far away. I then asked them if it would be okay to move their treatments down to 3:15pm. They had agreed. They arrived early b/c they were at lunch and I offered them a complementary glass of wine which they declined and had orange juice instead. I was very sympathetic with them both b/c I understand their frustration. But I did the best I could. When they came to pay i asked how their experience was and they enjoyed their massages. I was very disappointed to see your posting say a dislike in the service. I was very professional and honest from the beginning.Just to clear the air they did not wait for 2 hours I had moved their treatments down 2 hours which they agreed to do.
San Leandro, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

This Inn is not living up to its beautiful surroundings. My wife and I decided to stay here after our wedding at one of the local wineries.

It was a very hot day and after we checked in and got to our room we realized that there was no air conditioning. We looked for a temperature control in the room and there was none! We figured that the inn did not have air conditioning (hard to believe for Livermore). We almost suffocated overnight.

The next morning, when we made a comment about how hot it was in our room, we were told that there was air conditioning but that it was "centrally" controlled by the the inn's staff. The person that checked us in had simply forgotten to turn it on! And they would not even give us a discount for the inconvenience.

Other downers: the pool was dirty and freezing and the water in the adjacent hot tub was not hot at all. To be fair, the breakfast in the morning was good. That's about it.

Needless to say, we are not staying here again.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Travelman66
Morgan Hill, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2008

My wife and I booked the Morning Dove Room (the best Purple Orchid Inn suite) for our anniversary. Overall, we were disappointed and it was mostly due to the extravagant price and lack of cleanliness of the in the room. I have paid in excess of $500 for different bed and breakfasts but at $420, the Purple Orchid Inn Suite did not meet my standards nor expectations.

The room was fairly large with cathedral ceilings although the decor lacked the intricacies and mystique that I have experienced in less expensive bed and breakfasts.

The breakfast could have been purchased at the nearest McDonald's and I was not impressed.

I had to kill several insects in the room and my daughter woke up with an insect bite on her neck in the morning. Many dead insects were scattered about the room in the window sills and the corners of the room.

On the positive side, the staff was cordial and prompt when we had to call the front desk for things we should have had in the room in the first place.

I would consider staying there again but it would be in the least expensive room. The grounds of the Purple Orchid Inn are well maintained and the flower gardens and olive orchards are beautiful. The pool and jacuzzi were very refreshing.

If you decide to stay there for a honeymoon or anniversary, negotiate the price of the suites down to about $250 (for the suite). If they won't budge on the price, stay somewhere else and come out to the Inn to take pictures.

• Liked — The grounds of the inn
  • Disliked — The cleanliness of the room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JoeandKaren19
san ramon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2008

My fiancé and I reserved this inn for our entire wedding party for our wedding in September back in early January. We gave them a deposit check of 50% of the total cost for 10 rooms for 2 nights and they cashed our check 2 days later. 5 months later after all our planning is almost done and almost every room in the area booked, the owner left me a voicemail bluntly asking for a confirmation of my address so that he could return my deposit check to me. He gave a short explanation saying they “messed up” and booked another wedding that same weekend. Not only did he never apologize or offer us any solution or compromise, when I called him back and asked him to be empathetic because it is my wedding his exact response was “it’s everyone’s wedding” with a nasty, indifferent attitude. Let me reiterate this is the OWNER speaker to me. How do you run and operate a bed & breakfast and have absolutely NO regard for your customers? How do you book two weddings on the same weekend and not know it for 5 plus months. This is obviously a clear representation of BAD management. In addition, the way in which they handled the situation after discovering their mistake was truly appalling. This man clearly has no knowledge of customer service what so ever and should not have the privilege of owning and operating a business.

The sad thing is that I had read bad reviews myself about this inn but ignored them because he is lucky (and his business is only luck & location) that he owns one of only 2 B&B’s in Livermore. But trust me in saying this man does NOT deserve our business!! Please stay away from this inn and hopefully he will have to sell.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JulieWatts
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livermore
Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Livermore Wine Country
Hilton Garden Inn Livermore
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#8 of 16 in Livermore

Been to The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa? Share your experiences!