“Stunning setting for our wedding party”

The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa
Pleasanton, California
“Stunning setting for our wedding party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2010

All our friends, family and even the caterer were breathless when walking onto the property during our wedding reception. The setting here can't be beat. The resort is surrounded by gorgeous green hills, olive trees and vineyards. The grounds are beautiful, dotted with rose bushes and wisteria vines. The sun set as we had cocktails around the pool. The staff let us fulfill all our fantasies decorating the banquet hall. We rented the whole place and the next day some of us treated ourselves to massages after a night of dancing. It was incredible to have the place to ourselves and wake up in that serene setting. We and some of our friends have been back for weekend getaways. It's a unique place to unwind. Feels like you got away to Tuscany, even though it's still in the Bay Area.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank weddedbliss_21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed at the Purple Orchid Inn for 3 nights this month and had a fabulous time. I drank tea each morning on my private patio and watched the cows grazing against the rolling green hills. I sat in my whirlpool/hot tub with a glass of wine each evening, and listened to absolute silence. It was a great escape from the constant flow of traffic I hear in my city apartment. There is also an outdoor pool and hot tub. I took a long walk each day to explore some of the nearby wineries, and was both impressed with the venues and the wine. The rooms were very comfortable and nicely decorated. They reminded me of the Westin hotel heavenly bed and bath concept, but decorated in the personal and unique B&B fashion.

The staff and owner went out of their way to ensure my stay went well: Kaushik, Carolyn, Luis, etc. The breakfast was delicious and always on time. I am a health nut so they made sure I had a bowl of fresh fruit each morning, granola, etc. They provided recommendations on wineries and restaurants in the area, and were a joy to get to know.

Having a spa on the grounds is a big bonus. It appears they have a constant flow of customers from the east bay visiting the spa, so you would want to book in advance. I had a massage one morning from Edin and would highly recommend her. One of the biggest surprises of my trip was how much the Livermore wine country has to offer. There were approximately 30 wineries in the immediate area, a handful of which were walk-able from the Inn. The staff at the wineries were incredibly warm and welcoming. Who would have thought all of this existing in Livermore?

My stay met and exceeding my expectations... can't think of anything negative to say except that I had to drive thru bay bridge traffic to get there. I would definitely recommend a stay at the Purple Orchid Inn and Livermore wine country.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank CityDweller10
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2009

My husband, baby and I stayed one night at the beginning of August for my cousin's wedding...which has a beautiful setting. The downside was that they had a live band and before 10PM we were told somebody had been complaining about the loudness and the party had to be moved inside. Ok, this inn is in the middle of nowhere...and anyhow the music had been approved already...it was a very big party and inside the little ball room it felt very loud and cramped. many people left after the party had to move inside. We stayed in the olive room I believe with an agreement of $170 for one night. They were going to charge $85 to secure it and $85 after we left. Well by the time we got there they had already charged the full amount. But then they charged an additional $85 they've already acknowledged as a mistake. 3 months later and it still has not been resolved. I've begun a dispute with my credit card now. I wasn't upset at first because I know mistakes happen, I am upset now that its been so long and they still haven't taken action to resolve it. Too bad because it is a nice place, breakfast was good...was thinking of returning until now.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank brenduna
CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

We had our wedding at Purple Orchid Inn in summer 2009. We rented both suites for night before ($375/rm) & entire Inn for wedding night (over $2600). Toilet in Morning Dove suite ran all night, extremely loud, enough to disturb joining suite. Also didn't flush so I had to fill it with coffee pot before each flush (tried trash can for more efficient filling but was crusted with coffee grounds & garbage after I took out liner). Reported to INN staff next morning who told me previous guests had also reported the toilet!?! Needed coffee to wake up after little sleep, had to clean grounds and old filter out of coffee maker before making coffee. Breakfast was precooked frozen food that was served barely at room temp and an hour late. My wedding party was getting ready in suite so I borrowed maid of honors rm "Orchid Retreat" to shower. Took 20 min. to shave legs as I twisted under the dribble! Entire shower head was clogged, no pressure ($240/rm). The grounds and scenery are beautiful & The wedding was Fabulouos! Thanks to Jess, amazing event planner (no longer w/ the Inn, sad, she was one of the main reasons we chose the Inn for our wedding). But at end of the wedding (11pm) I went back to suite to use restrm & had to fill the toilet with the coffee pot In My Wedding Dress! Toilet Still Running! I told Jess, who was appalled & called in a favor from a personal friend who came out to fix it. After telling my new husband "Sorry babe, wedding night can't start till the plumber gets here" & all the other stresses, we decided to take a bath to relax (it was 1am & plumber had just left) in the jacuzzi tub for 2 they advertise. My mom had mentioned she had taken bath (they stayed in joining suite night before listening to toilet run- pipes were in wall right next to headboards, was supposed to be our thank you gift to them) & when she drained tub there was a filthy residue! So I made sure to run it several times & clean it first, completely disgusting! White towels turned brown. I took pics it was so gross! But it didn't matter how much I cleaned it, it still looked like pond water. Jess came back to the Inn & turned on outside jacuzzi for us, but we were so exhausted we went to bed shortly after. Worst part was when we told the owner he blamed everything on his staff & acted like any reimbursement was an undeserved favor he was doing for us. After many talks/emails/arguments he eventually agreed to refund a small portion of what we paid, but only if we, our family & our friends never talked about the experience we had & if we lied in a statement saying the Inn & owner were great. We declined. We also paid $250 linen deposit to be returned after wedding. After several unreturned emails they sent to Purple Orchid the Rental Co. charged us for a few missing items- totally fine- but should've guaranteed the $250 deposit be returned to us in full! We still haven't received it! (I have read many reviews of Purple Orchid Bride's with the same complaint) The lack of concern, professionalism and remorse for a wedding night gone bad (a night my new husband and I will never regain) by the owner is very unsettling! Purple Orchid is extremely Overpriced for the quality of lodging & customer service they provide!

• Stayed September 2009
10 Thank Bride2009Ca
Norhtern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

I have always wanted to try the Purple Orchid. I scheduled a day at the sap as my husband went off to play golf. Nikki the young lady at the desk immediately made me feel so welcome. Who ever hired her got a jewel of an employee. Great instructions provided upon arrival to spa adn what to expect after. After spa treatment I was allowed to check in to room early. I dropped off my luggage and headed out to patio to enjoy my lunch and wine. (there was a young man who was extremely professional and had excellent customer service skills yet I can't remember his name so sorry) I then went and found a lounge chair in view of a beautiful waterfall into the pool. So calming and magical. The views make you feel like you haven't a care in the world....Small selection of wine, cheese offered at 4:00 which was a perfect snack before dinner. all in a; a nice place to stay.

Now a few negatives. Awoke at 0700 no coffee ready, 0730 still no coffee. Another couple who had breakfast scheduled at 0730 chose to leave as the kitchen was still dark at 0800. We had our breakfast sheduled at 0830 but as the cook had just arrived at 0800 we decided to skip breakfast and head out to a local diner. It may not seem important to some people but when I get up in the morning I would love a fresh hot dup of coffee. Also all of the shower and soap dispensers in our shower, the spa shower and the lobby bathroom were empty.

Would I go back? Yes... But I expect more consistancy in service.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

This is only the second review I have written, but after reading the previous ones, I couldn't help myself. I heard about the Purple Orchid on some Bay Area TV show. Two years ago I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday. We stayed in the Celestial Moon Suite, one of their most expensive rooms. We arrived to chilled champaign and a pristine suite. The staff was wonderful and we were served a great breakfast in our room. That same boyfriend and I are now married and about to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. We've booked the same room and are excitedly awaiting our big day. For the last two years I have raved to any and all friends about this place and I would recommend it to everyone!!

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Twain Harte, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2009

My Sister treated me to a day at the Spa for my Birthday. Our treatment of escape was the "Royal Treatment." We topped off our relaxation with a delicious lunch with wine and a soak in the Hot Tub. Erin gave us each wonderful facials and eye treatments. We each had dry, tired skin and Erin hydrated us and gave us both a personal skin care plan to combat the Winter Elements on our face. Jasmine and Lisa delivered exceptional full body massages. In fact, their touch was so good we had a hard time pulling our selves together to drive home. What a beautiful treat for me with such talented and well versed therapists. These ladies are good! Our lunch was wonderful and both Inn Keepers were polite and very kind to both of us. Fun to talk too! I will be back to the Inn for pampering and skin maintenance to come. I loved my experience and this is a first class spa. Thanks Sissy for a fantastic Birthday Spa Day, I will never forget it. -

• Liked — The Beautiful GArden and Amazing Spa
  • Disliked — That we had to go home and leave at the end of the day
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Livermore
Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Livermore Wine Country
Hilton Garden Inn Livermore
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#8 of 16 in Livermore

Been to The Purple Orchid Wine Country & Spa? Share your experiences!