“Loved it!”
Review of Inn at Locke House

Inn at Locke House
Ranked #1 of 1 Lockeford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 February 2008

My gf and i stayed at the Inn at Locke House Feb 2008.

Booking over the phone was easy. We checked in at 3:30pm and were delighted with the house and our warm and lovely room. nice sized room. Queen sized bed had wonderful bedding and the room and the bathroom were immaculate.

The floor in our bathroom was heated - there are solar panels out back behind the barn - so that was a wonderful treat.

Breakfast the next day was delicious.

We would definitely go back! highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Inn at Locke House

Reviewed 29 December 2007

It's the week between Christmas and New Year's and we've stayed several days here at the Inn at Locke House. The four of us; my sister and her husband, myself and husband had spent two days in Pacific Grove/Monterey CA where my brother - in - law spent basic training in the 70's, prior to arriving at Lockford. We chose the area for it's proximity to wine growers and airports. Being pilots we always spent our vacations prowling through hangars on little airports for the projects being built or the classic warbirds being stored.

The Inn's proprietors Lani and Richard immediately made us feel at home with a glass of the local Lodi zinfindel and a place in front of the fireplace. Our first treat was to visit the barn where Richard was in the process of rebuilding a Thorp T-18 homebuilt 2 place aircraft. He showed us the logbooks of the original designer and builder of the plane - imagine flying a two-place airplane all the way to Hawaii! or over the North Pole! We were amazed!

Back inside the inn our rooms were made nice and cozy with thermostat controlled gas fireplaces and quilted comforters. The spacious bathrooms floors were heated - much appreciated in this chilly December! Our rooms were decorated in the period of the house - 1900's, complete with king size four poster bed and civil war era wardrobes.

Breakfast in the mornings was a scrumptious meal - scones, spinach/
feta cheese souffle, sausage and fruit, or fluffy orange french toast with thick slices of local ham, persimmon bread (from the trees outside the kitchen windows) and hot coffee. We don't normally eat much breakfast, but could not help ourselves to seconds and thirds.

In addition to visiting local airports, we toured several local wineries - The Paseo, Old Lockeford, St Aman and the Wine Visitor's center. We tasted quite a few and ended up shipping several cases home. We also drove up to the 'Chocalatier' factory and indulged in some sweets.

We loved the inn, it's history and the local area. We're planning on returning in warmer weather - we'll definitly need more of the St. Aman Barbera before long!

Stayed: December 2007
InntheGarden, Owner at Inn at Locke House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

Your stay added so much to our enjoyment of this special time of year. As you know I am a Christmas fanatic and love every aspect of the holiday. Yes, you must return to experience a different season. Why not the weekend of the Grape Festival Sept. 17-19, 2010? Or the following weekend for the Taste of Lodi? And Richard is continuing the upgrades to his T-18. Thanks for your review!

Reviewed 2 December 2007

The Inn at Locke House is a place where historic comfort and elligance meets modern convenience. Each room has many of the original fixtures of the house and the antique furniture to match, but this is no stodgy museum. It is a home away from home.

There are telephones in all the rooms, a wi-fi connection, and a computer for guest use. A large flat screen TV can be found in one of the parlors for those who cannot live without their football.

This Inn has shot to the top of my list of places to escape to. The inkeepers are very freindly, but non-obtrusive. They welcome you to their home and invite you to make it your own. They are like family members you never knew you had.

Breakfast is sensational, and changes daily for guests who stay longer than one night. On today's menu was a sample of the local sausage which has become famous in California. I have to stop at the local butcher on the way out of town to get some sausage to take home!

Stay here, and plan a trip for longer than one night. Here you will find relaxation in the house and on the grounds. The gardens are a delight even in the late fall.

I have already planned my next trip here! Come enjoy a stay and help preserve this historic landmark.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you so very much for your review. You'll have to return to see the gardens in spring and summer - I am amazed myself and I do the work and see it every day!. The roses now are vibrant and the gladiolas are the hummingbirds new favorite for nectar. My favorite spot on these early summer days is under the valley blue oak tree with a TALL glass of Lemonade.

Reviewed 20 October 2007

I stayed one night in this wonderful bed & breakfast during a tour through California. I was greeted by the very warm and welcoming caretakers upon arrival. The room had a very "historical" feeling about it (and very clean!). I ordered evening dinner, which was really tasty. Because I had to leave very early in the morning, breakfast was a delight I sadly couldn't experience.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 16 September 2007

Well I must say that after growing up in this area I knew about the Locke House, as I had passed it many times. It was a great comfort to know that wonderful historical old house has been preserved and is open to weary travellers.

It just so happened that I returned to my old stomping grounds, because I had a performance with my band just up the road a piece and needed a place to stay. I found the "Inn at Locke House" on "BandBfinder.com" and instantly decided that this was the place for me. The Inn Keepers are very pleasant and are willing to go the extra mile to make your stay an enjoyable one!

This trip I decided to bring a special lady friend with me, and I asked that a bottle of somewhat difficult to find wine be put in my room for our return after my performance. The Inn Keepers were all over it and found a bottle. There was also a cheese and snack tray that was to die for, and I must say that the Rose pedals on the turned down bed were a big hit with my special lady friend. Needless to say we had a very romantic time...wink, wink!

If you are in to history, flavour, and charm the "Inn at Locke House" will be a huge hit. I...we highly recomend it!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you! Last week a Locke family descendant brought her new husband to see her ancestors' home. She was quite surprised to find items her mother and grandmother had mentioned as well as to see the restoration and "renewal" of the house. We're so happy that all generations enjoy their stays here.

Reviewed 28 August 2007

My boyfriend and I decided to stay at the Inn at Locke House when we'd made plans to attend an event at the nearby Vino Piazza for an early birthday celebration. The Inn was full of history and charm. We enjoyed walking throughout the house to look at the old books, the medicinal instruments that once belonged to Dr. Locke and get a feel for what it might have been like so long ago. Our stay was private as we never crossed paths with other guests until breakfast time! That is worth the stay right there! Lani will entertain as well as make a wonderful breakfast. Richard will give you the historical facts about the house. I highly recommend a stay there and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2007

I stayed here one night in February 2007 on my way (the long way round!) from Sonoma to San Francisco.

When I drove up to the property, I have to admit I did wonder what I'd let myself in for, as it had an air of the Adams Family about it, and as I looked for the door, all seemed to be in darkness and it took a few minutes before the door was answered.

But any misgivings were quickly dispelled. The welcome was warm, my room was lovely with a good bed, a gas fireplace in the corner, and a nicely appointed bathroom. Everything looked very clean indeed to me, though the innkeeper immediately spotted a cobweb that had been missed!

The owners were there when they were needed, and magically disappeared when they weren't. They were incredibly helpful with planning my activities the next morning before I drove into San Francisco.

It's a genuinely historic building, full of touches of the building's history and the Locke family that lived here for many years. (It was originally built by a Dr Locke who had come over in the 1849 gold rush to make his fortune, but ended up continuing his medical practice.) The interior has been very sympathetically restored, but without the bedrooms feeling nineteenth-century spartan at all!

It is a fairly secluded site on a quiet minor road, so it is very peaceful at night.

There is free internet access for guests, either wireless or via a pc on the landing.

After a really good night's sleep, in the morning I was delighted to find a really high quality breakfast waiting to be prepared for me, including (unbidden) eggs benedict (an absolute favourite of mine) served with asparagus, and other goodies that I'm afraid I've forgotten.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Aulus

It's fun to venture out to new tasting rooms opening in historic farms such as Heritage Oak and Jessie's Grove.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lockeford
Wine & Roses Hotel
Wine & Roses Hotel
#2 of 13 in Lodi
Hampton Inn & Suites Lodi
University Plaza Waterfront Hotel
Days Inn & Suites Lodi
Holiday Inn Express Lodi
Best Western I-5 Inn & Suites

Been to Inn at Locke House? Share your experiences!