“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Loleta
Snohomish, Washington
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We reserved an oceanview suite. Our "view" was of the rooftop of the Porte-cochère, but if you stretched to the very right side of the window, you could see the ocean way, way, far away over the roof. Our room was lovely and very clean.
The biggest problems we encountered were surly attitudes from most of the staff we encountered. When we checked in and nicely asked about the room, we were just told that we had the same view as they did from the front desk (the Porte-cochère!) through which you could see the ocean if you leaned far to the right. Basically, deal with it. When we went to the restaurant to get a drink and an appetizer, the host said they didn't have any appetizers until dinner, and he didn't think the bartender came on duty in that (non-smoking) bar until 4, but he wasn't really sure. He suggested we go to the bar in the casino, which we did. Finding our way through the billowing smoke cloud, we found the bar and sat down, and sat, and sat and sat. The bartender saw us, but was talking to her friends and never did come over. After waiting 10 minutes, we just left and went back to the room to wait for dinner. We had driven a long way that day and just wanted to eat dinner and go to bed. We went back to the dining room when they were seating and had a very nice young waiter. He tried really hard despite the fact he was clearly new. The food was good though.
We went back to the room and settled in for the night. I noticed there was only one single serving coffee pod for the Kuerig for the 2 of us. I called to the front desk and explained the situation... I was very nice about it. I was met with dead silence from the other end of the phone. She finally made a heavy sigh and said she "okaay...I guess I can send someone up.". About 10 minutes later a very nice maintenance man came up with several pods.
Today we left for the day and when we came back, the bartender at the non-smoking bar was working and she was great. She really made an extra effort which was much appreciated.
I guess the biggest complaint is that while the hotel is lovely, they need to train their employees so the guests feel valued and not just a nuisance. The employees need to know what facilities do what, what the hours are and try and help the guests out with their requests or at least find out who can. A few other touches that could be valuable is real coffee cups in the rooms, instead of paper cups (they could even be logo mugs that could be offered for sale as souvenirs), two ply toilet tissue, and a little more generosity on the toiletries. We got one of those small one use bottles of shampoo and conditioner for two people for two days...that's it. I mean, it's a nice place, so stop skipping on things that could make it great!

Room Tip: Top floor, toward the middle of the building.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Teri J
Colby K, Marketing Coordinator at Bear River Casino Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
HI Teri,

Thanks for choosing us and for taking the time to leave us some feedback on your experience with us. We're sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations but are truly grateful for you taking the time to leave us a review. We are always striving to improve every aspect of our property and performance and you have certainly given us some areas where we need to evaluate how we can do better. I hope that you'll give us the opportunity to show you how great we can be. Would you please email me at; colbykeeler@bearrivercasino.com? I would really appreciate it.

Have a great day and thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We got reservation a day before this lady named mistie was really polite we drove from ukiah so about 2.5 hrs when they told me over the phone ocean view I was thinking some closer view of the ocean .... But was ok I guess my kids got fun at the pool the food was great .... I was hoping to say hi to john O'neill my hubby ex boss from shokawah casino but aperently was his day off :( maybe next time that was the only reason why we book here

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank jarochitas2 .
HI Jarochitas2,

Thanks for staying with us and for leaving us some feedback. We're glad to hear the kids had fun in the pool area and that you enjoyed your meals. Personally, I love our food too! We're always telling John he needs to work more but he seems to think 60-70 hours a week is enough! Crazy right? haha ~ We hope you get the chance to see him on your next visit.

Have a great day and thanks again for taking the time to leave a review. We'll see you soon.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

In rm water bottles cost $3... no fridge.. no microwave. Not much of a view of ocean. Paid $117 for a basic king ocean view room. No breakfast buffet. Housekeeping was still cleaning at 7:30 pm. They blocked the hall with two carts side by side. Pool very small and was filled with bout 15 kids with no parental control. Tried to relax in hot tub while kids screamed at top of lungs and splashed at us. Bathroom in our room had no towel hook..so you have to walk across wet slippery floor to get towel. Hardley any water pressure in shower and almost slipped getting into shower ...there was no grip on floor...very slick. Wouldn't recommend this motel unless u were to gambel all night .

• Stayed June 2014
Penryn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is a new, much needed hotel in this area. Pros: Starting with the parking, it is covered with elevator access to the hotel. The staff is very friendly, check in was with no problem even when we were a bit early. Our room was located on the 2nd floor, originally we had reserved a room with Mountain View but we were upgraded to an Ocean View. It isn't really much of an "ocean view" as the ocean is quite a ways away. We hit rain while we were there unfortunately. The room is large and very clean and comfortable. We had a king bed, new flat screen tv, desk and chair, and lounge chair as well.The bathroom had a large shower with a very large "rain shower" head. The towels were fresh and large enough to accomodate my husband. The bed was quite comfortable with plenty of pillows. The room was quiet and we got a good nights rest. I highly recommend this hotel, we have stayed in Eureka at the Best Westerns and the Red Lion Inn and compared to the price we have had to pay, more than $30.00 more in Eureka, the motels and hotels in Eureka do not come close to this property....in price, comfort, quality, and of course the new aspect of it. The weather in Loleta is usually better than Eureka also. The only con is the restaurant in the hotel...pricey and not that good.If you are looking for a quick meal there is a hamburger place in the casino to eat at. We will definetly stay here again. The summer prices rise quite a bit in July as well as in Eureka, so do a comparison.

Room Tip: Top floors will give you a better view facing the west for a nice sunset.
1 Thank Carolyn C
HI Carolyn,

Thanks so much for choosing us and for leaving a review of your experience. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed along your review to our management team so that it can be shared with our employees. We love our Hotel and are glad that you enjoyed it as well. The beds are the best! Have a great day and thanks again for your feedback. We can't wait to serve you again.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stopped here on a drive from Los Angeles to Ashland and it was a good pit stop. It's certainly not a luxury hotel but it's very clean and the people that work there are friendly. The casino was a little lacking and I do think you'd probably do better to pick one of the charming towns nearby instead but you could do far, far worse.

1 Thank Goober818
HI Goober818,

We're glad to hear that you had a good time while staying with us and we appreciate you taking the time to leave a review of how we did. We're proud of our staff and are thrilled that they represented us well. We do hope you'll choose us on your visit to/through Humboldt County as we are in the heart of the Redwoods and the closest Hotel/Casino to the beach.

Thanks again.
Humboldt county
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We decided to stay overnight as a get away from home. We found out the system was down and had to be walked to our room. Couldn't use credit cards, the machines wouldn't print out tickets. Never again

1 Thank grandmatobe2007
Colby K, Marketing Coordinator at Bear River Casino Resort, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Hi Grandmatobe2007,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience but do appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, our system did crash causing a few headaches for our guests. Luckily, we have an exceptional staff that worked hard to make the best of the situation. Of course, I can understand your frustration and would like to make it up to you. If you would, please email me at; colbykeeler@bearrivercasino.com and give me the opportunity to make it right with you and show how just how wonderful a stay at Bear River Casino Hotel can be.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we did. I hope to hear from you.

Colby K.
Draper, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here on our way through the Redwoods last week. I made our reservation over a month ago. While checking in, the staff informed me that they would be unable to issue us any room keys, since was down. But, whenever we were ready, someone would walk us up to our room and let us in. So, we unloaded our car, and headed up to our room. Another customer was also headed up with another staff member to be let into his room. Both staff members unlocked the doors to let us in, to find other people already occupying the rooms. They apologized and called back down to the check in desk to let them know that those two rooms were already occupied. The front desk gave them two new rooms. (This time the staff member knocked before opening the door). The room was really clean, modern, and nice. We got changed into our swimsuits and headed down to the pool. We had to walk to the check-in desk, to ask a staff member to let us into the pool room, and then once again, to let us into our rooms. Other than having to get a staff member, everytime we wanted to enter a room, our stay was nice. Once, at about 10:00 at night, a staff member came and knocked on our door. When my husband answered it, the guy said, "You guys are moving down to room #335, right?" My husband, said, "No." and the guy just said, "okay" and left. Blanca (I believe that was her name) was very nice and helpful! She was very friendly to our children. We had a good nights rest. I also liked that the hotel check-in was seperate from the casino. The bathrooms were huge, but our towels smelled of smoke. I would have rated this at a 5, if there were no problems with the system and the towels didn't smell like smoke.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hi Tiddlewinks,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did when you stayed with us recently. I apologize for the inconvenience. Our system did crash which caused quite a headache for some of our guests. I'm glad to hear that Blanca was nice and helpful during this experience and have passed along your feedback to her manager. I hope that you'll stay with us again on your next visit to Humboldt County. We are proud of our Hotel and would love to show you how smooth things normally run here at Bear River Casino Hotel. Again, thank you for leaving us some feedback and for being so understanding of the situation when you arrived. We hope to see you soon.

Colby K.
Bear River Casino Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Loleta
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
Blue Lake Casino Hotel
Blue Lake Casino Hotel
#1 of 1 in Blue Lake
The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel

Been to Bear River Casino Resort? Share your experiences!