“Don't Miss This!”

Return to Freedom, American Wild Horse Sanctuary
Ranked #14 of 50 things to do in Lompoc
More attraction details
Owner description: Return to Freedom is dedicated to preserving the freedom, diversity and habitat of America's wild horses through sanctuary, education and conservation while enriching the human spirit through direct experience with the natural world.
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Oh, my, what can I say that can possibly capture the essence of this beautiful, educational, and emotional experience? Our trip from Santa Barbara for the Freedom Wild Horse Sanctuary Tour was a top highlight of the summer for myself, my daughter-in-law, and my two grandchildren, ages 6 and 9. In the short span of 2 hours we learned so much about the plight of the wild horses in this country, of the different genetic groups, and of the importance of the family unit. Freedom's mission to preserve the freedom, the diversity, and the habitat of the wild mustangs is so incredibly important. Be prepared for hot weather, especially later in the summer. Wear closed shoes (it is dusty), bring a hat and water. Next for me will be the Wild Horse Walk in the spring.

2  Thank Bonnie L
in 4 reviews
"appointment"
"property"

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We had a lovely visit from Santa Barbara. A nice drive to a very special place. To see a place dedicated to preserving wild horse genetic lines was an unexpected treat, and one that tied our American history to these horses. My daughter and I brought a picnic lunch, which we enjoyed after our walking tour. A very unique place to visit in this part of California

3  Thank SBTraveler38
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I took my kids, ages 8 and 12 to "kids day" at the ranch. It was a great experience! We brought Grandma and is a fun memory for us all. The purpose is to create awareness and educate the kids, so we keep open spaces for wild horses to live.
It was mostly a flat walk, grandma is 71 and she was fine. I recommend bringing a light jacket regardless what time of year, the fog took a while to lift and we were forced to buy whatever they had available. Bring a printout of the map, gps does not work out there. It was easy to miss the entrance. Bring water on the walk/tour, I didn't and my kids got thirsty.
Those are my tips! It was fantastic!

1  Thank MLeeP
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I went with my Mom and daughters to see the wild horses at Return to Freedom. It makes such a difference to see the horses in their natural environment, as family groups and not just in stalls. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the history and mission of the American Wild Horse Sanctuary and we were able to really get an education about the uphill battle facing the wild horse. I would recommend you call to make an appointment and take your children - everyone will enjoy this fantastic worthwhile place. I do have to admit it was a highlight to see the real Spirit! Now that I have visited they will be on my list of top charities for donations.

Oh, and when we visited they had at least 5 new born horses on the property - outstanding!

1  Thank desertminky
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Thank you for an incredible hike among the wild horses. This is truly a life-changing experience that shouldn't be missed. Return to Freedom has an honest, worthwhile mission to rescue these horse families, and I hope they can not only continue, but can grow and expand to save many more of these amazing animals.

1  Thank Pat K