“Pleasant”

Sanford Winery & Vineyards
Ranked #7 of 48 things to do in Lompoc
More attraction details
Owner description: This 30-year-old winery was one of the first in the Santa Rita Hills.
Irvine, California
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Pleasant”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Took my dad on a little road trip. The vineyard was a bit off the track from the freeway. It was a bit warm when we went. I had my dog with me so we ended up out on the patio. The staff was very friendly. One even came out and asked if my dog wanted fresh water and went in and got some for him. Wish they had some 'misters' out on the patio. Other than that, it was a nice place to stop.

Moorpark, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent Wine, Excellent Tasting Room Service”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We visit a lot of wineries and belong to a lot of wine clubs. Sanford is easily in our top three...for quality of wine, for its beautiful location, for quality of tasting room experience, and for its excellent wine club prices and events. The staff are friendly, engaging, and knowledgable, and special commendation should go to John Bailey, the tasting room manager, for always trying to make the tasting room experience the best it can be. If you want a quiet, unobtrusive experience, they respect this. If you want to engage and learn about the wine, they are happy to share their knowledge. They are customer friendly and never over-bearing. I think Sanford wines are a great representation of the Sta. Rita Hills.

A little history: We've been members since before the split with original owner Richard Sanford (and still support his Alma Rosa winery and have tremendous respect for what he has done for this appellation). In fact, we boycotted Sanford Winery for a while because we were so upset by the split. One day, we begrudgingly visited "enemy territory", assuming that the wine would be terrible and the tasting room experience would feel "corporate". After the first few pours, my husband and I looked at each other, and I said, "Dang. This wine is fantastic!" Still skeptical, we started engaging the pourers; they were so friendly and "non-corporate" and nice that we walked out impressed and new wine club members.

Over the years, we have never been disappointed--with the wine or the wine tasting experience. If Winemaker Steve Fennell happens to be there during a wine tasting, he is always willing to stop for a moment to chat with visitors and to answer questions.

Visited November 2013
Park City, Utah, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful Winery”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Incredible winery with very modern machines used for their winemaking including a $1,000,000 elevator for the fermenting tanks that has to be seen to be believed. Nowhere else in this area has anything like it - if you want a more traditional, down home feel when you're wine tasting check out El Jabali just down the road. It is Richard Sanford's current winery after leaving Sanford.

Huntington Beach, California
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Really Cool place to go to!”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Had fun here!
Of course I love wine and this place didn't disappoint me at all!
Great place, cool looking, awesome people and yes...GREAT Wine!!! LOL
Take a drive up or down the coast and see what they to offer!
I guarantee - you WON'T leave empty handed! ;-) We didn't!
So...have fun...taste the wine....and oh yeah...enjoy the aroma!

Visited April 2013
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great place for a tasting”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Recently had a great tasting here. Lisa Brown was a very friendly employee and she helped us select some great samples. The building looks great and is surrounded by healthy vines and rolling hills.