“bad smelling room,very nice people... but the bathrooms smell bad”

Red Roof Inn Lompoc
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Lompoc
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I must say the front desk was amazing. They were as helpful as any hotel I've visited ( I travel every week for work)Unfortunately the chain is only as strong as its weakest link.The bathrooms smelled really bad and we were fortunate to get a lightly scented one for the night we stayed prior to our company moving us due to numerous complaints. One co worker commuted back home verses staying here. I can't imagine the smell would be worse at the nearby federal prison. I think it may be a mold / urine mix and suggest that maybe the cleaning staff needs to make some adjustments. Possibly a toilet vent tube is clogged or ? EWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Edgar G
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Lompoc

Reviewed 26 June 2013

For the price and last minute need, this place fit the bill. We were supposed to camp at the beach, but the 50mph winds made setting a tent up impossible, so we headed to town and found the Red Roof Inn. They were finishing up a new paint job, so it looked spruced up. The gentleman at the front desk was very accommodating and gave us a room with 2 queens, a 3/4 size fridge and all of the other much needed and much welcomed accessories. Yes, it's and older property and a bit tired around the edges, but for the one night stay that we needed it was perfect. Don't expect the Taj Mahal, just expect some quiet comfort with a great staff.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the property are away from the highway traffic.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The television didn't work in one of our rooms and the key didn't work in another. The woman at the front desk at night was very nice and tried to be helpful but ultimately couldn't. Her efforts elevated a terrible experience to poor, which is why this place got two stars instead of one.

The hotel is right on the main road and the rooms we had were on the street side, so you had to park on the other side of the building. This is not safe with little kids.

The lobby where they serve the included breakfast only had two chairs making it impossible for even our family of seven to eat together. The morning desk person was not friendly or helpful and made no effort to find more chairs or accommodate anyone.

We will not return.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay at this motel, make sure your room is not on the street side. There is no park...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RaufGlasgow
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I tried to like this hotel, I stayed here twice before giving up. They do not have elevators which is an issue with luggage. The hotel website says they are newly renovated, but the room I was in on both occasions clearly had not been renovated. The bed was lumpy, the bathroom was on the grungy side, the internet was spotty at best. The second trip was worse, the internet was down once again, they key didn't work, the mini fridge wasn't working, the heat wasn't working, and even after reporting all of this twice I still found the issues when I returned from a day at work. I went downstairs and talked with the front desk clerk - the manager was standing right there, and he assured me they would work on it as soon as possible. In the meantime, a woman walked in with no reservation and the manager helped her before helping me, giving her an upgraded room with a kitchenette because it was the last room they had available, for a price LESS than the room I was in! There was no compensation offered to me, no discount off the bill, just oh well, we'll fix it as soon as possible.
For my next 4 visits to Lompoc for business I stayed at the Comfort Inn on H street. The room was wonderful and really had been recently renovated, they have an evening reception with snacks and beer, wine or soda, and a nice breakfast with hot and cold foods - all included in the price. Oh, and they have elevators too.
I wrote to the GM of Red Roof Inn before I changed hotels and never heard back, I'm glad now since I have found a better hotel!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Susan1004
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I'm a fairly loyal Red Roof Redicard member. If I'm traveling I always check to see if there is a Red Roof on the way to and at where I'm going, especially if I'm traveling with my dog. If there is / are, then I head straight here to TripAdvisor to get a sense of what people think, because some of the Red Roofs are not great, but some are amazing. I wanted to stay in the Santa Barbara area and this was the closest one i could find to it, and absolutely fine -- I was traveling from LA to San Francisco, and on the way spent several hours in Santa Barbara, and then headed up to Lompoc continuing my drive home, so it worked out fine. And this Red Roof had decent reviews, and the right price, so it was a no-brainer.

First of all, EVERYONE who works at this property is wonderful. And special kudos to Ron, who just went absolutely out of his way to be helpful. Very personable guy who cares about his job and the people he's helping.

The other good part about this Red Roof, besides the great price (around $50 plus tax) is that the rooms, at least the ones I saw, appear to have been freshened. This is not one of those NextGen or "Redesigned & Renovated" (or whatever their slogan is) Red Roofs -- it's more of the basic, classic kind -- but they did a great job in the rooms, it all has a bit of newness, very clean, and I do have to say, the beds were fantastic. I REALLY slept well -- and my back ain't the greatest and I'm very sensitive to the mattresses I sleep on. So that was great.

We did have some problems with the first room I was given because housekeeping over-deodorized it and it faced the Pacific Coast Highway (for those that don't know, not a true highway, but a busy road) and I'm a bit sensitive to morning noise -- but Ron was fantastic about letting me change my room and we not only got one that faced the back, but it had a very mild and pleasant, if nonexistent, smell, so that ended very well. A few problems getting things going with the DVR in the room and the remote controls (usual problems with new property) but, again, Ron took care of it initially -- and then the young woman who works overnight also was amazing in getting it solved.

So I alluded above to "new property" but let me clarify: this is actually a very old property, but NEW for Red Roof, they just took it over recently. And this was really the only main problem. The exterior needs a lot of work -- it totally doesn't match the interiors. Stairs need repair and exterior needs a new coat of fresh paint -- but they are absolutely working on it, so I would imagine within 3 months it will all be good.

But don't let that dissuade you from staying, it's a great deal, and it's definitely in the column of "Good" on my list of Red Roofs, and I've stayed at many of them.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room that's facing the parking lot to avoid the morning noise of the highway OR...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank broddybounce
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I try to title all of my reviews, "Clean, Quiet and Comfortable". When we arrived in the middle of the night last night that was my request - a quiet room, so we could sleep in a little in the morning. We were given a corner room on the first floor that was next to a Chevron station and adjacent to Ocean Ave. Once we turned on our heat, there was some white noise to drown out the traffic. The curtains did not block the sun well. The carpets and flooring were newer and clean. The sink and counter was very clean. There was no trash bin in the bathroom or near the sink in the room. It was all the way over by the outside door. Inconvenient if you need to throw away pads or tampons. The shower curtain was inadequate. There was water all over the floor when I finished. The shower head worked well. The bottom of the tub was worn and the paint was coming off from around the top of the shower. The bathroom was dim and there was no lighting at all over the sink area. There was only one lamp next to the bed - sadly not on the side for the person who wanted to stay up a little later, so the person sleeping had a light right in the eyes while trying to sleep. All of the lighting was closer to the door and window side of the room and none to the back of the room - strange. I made it to breakfast at 7:30a. When I finished eating at 8a there was little, to no, food left. I did see them getting out more bread for toast, and some additional apples and oranges. There was no decaf coffee. While in the lobby I heard a neighbor from an apartment come in and make a complaint about excessive noise from this property during the night. With the good rate we got it wasn't the worst place I've stayed, and you can see that improvements have been made, but more would be welcome.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2013

[iminent=txCsqcgUWfOB] i like the motel it is very nice i have been staying there for a very long time the service is good the staff are great and very friendly there at the motel the beds are nice ans soft the tv's are great and just about every thing is great for the price it is very goog for what you get and they are doing the best to improve things there at the motel i just halft to say i would tell everybody to come and stay there thank you for taking the time to read what i had to say thanks jeff

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Lotus of Lompoc - A Great Hospitality Inn
Lompoc Valley Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Lompoc
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc Central Coast
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley
Pea Soup Andersen's Inn
Pea Soup Andersen's Inn
#1 of 8 in Buellton

Been to Red Roof Inn Lompoc? Share your experiences!