“Red Roof Inn saved the day!”

Red Roof Inn Lompoc
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Lompoc
Tracy, California
“Red Roof Inn saved the day!”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband and I took an unplanned trip to Southern California. When I say "unplanned", I mean we made no prior hotel reservations. Not a very good idea being summer and peak vacation time. We found this to be true on our journey there but even worse on our way back. We stopped in all the cities from Oxnard, Ventura, Santa Barbara, Carpinteria up to Lompoc. By then it was 2:30 AM and we were very tired. Desperate, we stopped in the Red Roof Inn and the girl at the desk was very friendly and helpful. Being that I am on the "particular" side, I asked to see the room first. The girl was very accomodating. What the rooms lack in ammenities and fancy decor, the hotel staff makes up in their willingness to go the extra mile for you. Since we got in so late, we were granted a late check out time. When we went to check out, I asked the hotel manager, Kim Reedy, if there was any chance she still had any of the breakfast items that they offer to their customers left. Not only did she extend this courtecy, but she cooked up some fresh hard boiled eggs for us and fresh coffee even though it was after the posted time. She was so kind and helpful which goes a long way in the hospitality profession. Although it was not the Ritz Carlton, because of the staff and the price, I would stay there again. Thanks for your hospitality!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandy H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Ventura, CA
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is a difficult review for me. I have to consider the level of room comfort vs. price point.
I have stayed at this hotel before; and, the rooms and environment seemed to be much cleaner in the past.
Red Roof Inn allows pets to stay for free and that is what I needed. This particular weekend is a HUGE dog show in town and EVERY hotel that allows dogs is full. I booked a specific room "area", 9 months in advance because of convenience in "exercising" my dog.
I did arrive early (about 11 am) and asked if I could check in. My request was accommodated; but, when I got to the room, it was MUCH smaller than I remembered (the gave me a end/corner room); but, it was in the area that I requested. When I entered the room, nothing was working. The fridge was warm, the TV didn't work, the air conditioning didn't work... turns out, nothing was plugged in. There were not enough plugs to plug in the TV, DVD Player and alarm clock at the same time (all were in the same area). Once you plugged everything in, you had now access for you phone or computer.
My husband and I left for dinner and returned to find out that the refrigerator was still warm and when I went to call the front desk... the phone didn't work! Also, when I went to get ice, the machine didn't work... learned later that you had to put your hand up the machine and move a lever to get it to work.
The team work/customer service that occurred after all of this was amazing! I am so sorry that I don't remember the team member's name that helped us. She arranged for another room (actually the room that I had originally requested), helped us move our "stuff", made certain that everything "worked" and checked up at least twice a day to be sure that we were O.K.
The rooms are OLD but more or less comfortable. I was a bit concerned that there seemed to be "low income monthly tenants" scattered about the complex. Also, on our two night stay; there were at least 2 police incidents right outside of my room.
The hotel lists "Free Wi Fi"; however, this is dependent upon where your room is located. We tried to access this service and could not connect. When we called the front desk, we were told that some of the rooms were too far away to get connected.
Our "new room" was configured better than the previous room; however, still had issues. I have allergies... and there was NO tissues in the room. I had to use TP.
Fortunately, weather was cool. The A/C worked well the first night, the second night it started making strange noises, and kept us up all night with it being noisy and warm.
Why am I rating this as high as I am..... the prompt service and concern for issues.
Our stay SUCKED! Will I stay here next year? Probably.... it is a great facility if you are coming for a dog show. Better than most that will allow dogs to stay for free.

Room Tip: Depends on reason for trip.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Desertrose56
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in their large king mini suite. Room was large and clean. Front desk was very nice and very helpful. Brought our new puppy and there was no additional charges. Very nice experience. Would stay again. Great value.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stayed at the Red Roof Inn during our recent trip to California. We were there just for one night and it was just what we needed after a long drive. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, and the beds comfortable. The only complaints we had were that we were unable to connect to the hotel's Wi-Fi and the breakfast was mediocre.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nesrals
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We traveled to Lompoc, CA to work and the client had booked the hotel. We arrived at 1 am and received a card key inside a re-used dirty room key pouch with whiteout on it (which I thought was strange). When I entered the room I smelled a mix of deodorizer, vinegar, urine and sweat. As the seconds passed by the smell started getting really bad and I noticed the black stains on the carpet and the dirt around the room. There was even a dead fly on top of the air conditioner unit (probably trying to escape the room) I needed to use the rest room and I when I opened the door the smell of vinegar mixed with urine slapped me in the face. I felt nauseous and called the front desk to ask for cleaning supplies to clean the room myself. I told the girl I was going to the front desk to get the supplies but she insisted on bringing them to me to room 116. In the mean time I had already made up my mind that I would rather sleep in my car than stay inside the room. I started coughing and my throat was itching. My husband felt ill too. We looked online for other hotels in the area for the night and Thank God! the Holiday Inn Express had a room available. When I went to the front desk to leave the key, the girl was still sitting there (mind you she had told me 20 minutes ago she was bringing me the cleaning supplies). I informed her that the filth in the room was completely unacceptable and to please inform the owner that something needs to be done. Completely disgusting and sickening. Do not even think of bringing children or the elderly to this hotel or you might need to go to the hospital after.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Jessi116
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 30 June 2013

. . . I would stay elsewhere, just in case.

Four people, two rooms. 96 degree daytime heat . . . one room had broken AC, the second room did not have it. One room smelled like sewage, the second smelled like urine. (I am not exaggerating)

When we asked the woman behind the desk about a cab, some random dude who was watching TV in the lobby stood up and recited the phone number, or actually recited two phone numbers, saying he was a cab driver and he should know the number, and that today was his day off. And he was spending it watching TV in the lobby of a red roof inn.

Came home from dinner, rooms were like ovens. Asked for a fan for one of the rooms, and the people behind the desk were completely amazed at our request. One had a flashlight, one had a screwdriver. They said they'd bring one up, then proceeded to run out the door and around the corner. I have no idea what they were doing. Maybe trying to repair someone else's AC? Well, they never supplied a fan. Oh, and that cab driver was still in the lobby, on the public computer, playing a video game. This was 3 or 4 hours after our first encounter.

In summation . . . This Red Roof Inn location is the reason why the franchise continues to be known as one of the bottom-feeders in the U.S. hotel industry. The very least a person expects when they stay in a hotel is a clean, comfortable experience. We had neither. We didn't expect luxury, just decency. I can't say if the other hotels in the area are any better, but I will never stay at this one again.

Room Tip: Don't choose one at this hotel?
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank HighFidelity
San Diego Ca.
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I must say the front desk was amazing. They were as helpful as any hotel I've visited ( I travel every week for work)Unfortunately the chain is only as strong as its weakest link.The bathrooms smelled really bad and we were fortunate to get a lightly scented one for the night we stayed prior to our company moving us due to numerous complaints. One co worker commuted back home verses staying here. I can't imagine the smell would be worse at the nearby federal prison. I think it may be a mold / urine mix and suggest that maybe the cleaning staff needs to make some adjustments. Possibly a toilet vent tube is clogged or ? EWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Edgar G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Lotus of Lompoc - A Great Hospitality Inn
Lompoc Valley Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Lompoc
Embassy Suites by Hilton Lompoc Central Coast
Quality Inn Santa Ynez Valley
Pea Soup Andersen's Inn
Pea Soup Andersen's Inn
#1 of 8 in Buellton

Been to Red Roof Inn Lompoc? Share your experiences!