“Horrible hotel” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Oaks Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
White Oaks Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Lompoc
“Horrible hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is by far the worst hotel experience I've ever had. The grounds looked as if they hadn't been taken care of in years. There was a strong pungent odor when you initially walk into the lobby (don't worry, it goes away after it burns your senses out). Looking around the lobby was like going back in time to early 70's. The Brady Bunch had to have visited. The pool was empty and it's plumbing was thrown out around the grass area. Robert, the manager, said their pool pump had just gone out. Looking at reviews after he said that, it's obvious it's been down a couple years.
The room was indeed spacious but had the same odor from the lobby. The 24" tube TV had no remote and had to warm before you get a decent picture. There was also no remote until I went to the front desk. To fill the tub we had to place a face towel over the drain and turn on the shower (plunger on the faucet was frozen so only the shower came on). The ceiling looked as if it had been leaking for years and he bathroom counter looked like they wiped mold from it.
We couldn't get a refund after making the reservation so was kind of stuck there. We went to Walmart and bought our own blankets as we were worried for bed bugs.
At checkout went to the lobby to find an envelope with our name on it. Our card number was on the enclosed paperwork.
I would never recomend this place to any one but the county inspectors.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Wilcocks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I guess everyone has different experiences and different expectations, but for me - the White Oaks is THE place to stay. I come for longer term stays for work and other pricier hotels make me feel claustrophobic. The idea that I can can a sliding glass door in a spacious and clean room that opens out to a vast expanse of grass and I could crack the door opened and hear the birds and frogs all night - just wonderful. It's a quiet stay, the walls separating the rooms are very thick and the peacefulness cannot be understated. Breakfast isn't a big deal for me. The staff (Robert) is very customer oriented. Rates favor longer term stays. I prefer to have the portable standing fan than an air conditioner at night, the night air is cool and I have control over the fan. The last hotel I stayed in at Lompoc had an a/c that was not adjustable, too close to the bed and loud, so the fan is terrific for me. One day the hotel will be refurbished, the restaurant and pool re-opened, and my guess is that it will be a beautiful wedding venue and destination hotel - and then I won't be able to afford it - but good for them!

Room Tip: Call the hotel desk directly; faster service 4-8 pm. 805-733-5000.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Karen6260
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed here because it was closest to the Air Force base and had a great extended stay rate (I stayed for a week). I expected the worst since it was so cheap but was pleasantly surprised by this place! Yes, it is quite dated and the carpets are super ugly but it was always really clean. The maid was really sweet and the people that I spoke with at the front desk were nice enough (when they were to be found haha).. They were really accommodating when I went out of town for one night. They checked me out for that day (no charge) and let me come back the next day to the same room. You can tell they are slowly fixing and updating things. There are a lot of amenities that I didn't expect from a cheap hotel like this: hair dryer, shampoo/soap/conditioner, cups/coffee/tea, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator in the room and a free continental breakfast every morning. The room I had was really big, bed was comfy, closet was big etc.. oh, and their wifi works really well (which is not normal in that area around air base.. there's usually terrible signal)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

First, no employees to be found!
No maids, no one at the front desk, no manager. NO ONE in sight. Just a desolate, dilapidated property with boarded up rooms, a closed pool filled with green contaminated water, a closed-boarded up restaurant, and very scary dark hallways.

I called 0 on the house phone which connects to Lee's cell. Lee is "off sight". She told me someone would help me soon. However, no one ever showed. I left to return an hour later. Again, same thing. I called Lee again and she told me to walk around and try to find the only maid they have, Silvete. No such luck. I did find a construction worker, Robert, in one of the boarded rooms. I asked him for help. He went to the front desk and said he didn't have a password and couldn't get in the computer. He said he didn't know anything and Lee would help me later. He would check me in by taking my cash and giving me a key. No receipt.

I received a phone call in my room from an employee of the hotel at 9:35pm, asking me to pay more money. He said if I ever need anything I can go to his room, not to call because he had to disconnect his phone because another resident calls him at 3am asking to borrow money.

I never saw anyone in the hotel over the few days I was there. Later I met Lee. It took her two hours to complete a simple task of renewing my key! She then referred me to the construction worker, Robert, on the office phone. He told me he was in fact the manager. He told me that he decides who gets to stay at the hotel and that he no longer wanted me there. So bizarre!

This hotel should be closed immediately! There is no staff and the staff they have are a group of incompetent, quite frankly, strange individuals. I am shocked this place isn't shut down. I am shocked anyone would stay here ...ever! It's not a place I would ever recommend to anyone. It's a complete disgrace to Lompoc and the Village. A sad structure that ruins Lompoc's small town charm. If they stay open, it's a crime! It is not pet friendly, not kid friendly and NOT people friendly! I will be contacting the owner of this hotel to formally complain. When I asked Lee and Robert who owns the hotel, they told me they could not tell me that information. I kept thinking I was dreaming. This place is the worst nightmare I have ever had!!!! Please, do yourself a huge favor and keep driving. You'll save yourself a very creepy, scary, and surreal experience.

• Stayed October 2013
11 Thank Vacation330

Travellers are raving about these Lompoc hotels

Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My partner and I have stayed here for the past six years, this year as usual, making our reservations six months in advance, along with several additional rooms for our friends, of whom we recommended them staying here for the past six years as well. These reservations are made in advance to assure us of the same room locations. The manager guaranteed our rooms, even calling us several days prior to confirm and assured us we would have our rooms as requested. We travel with our service dog, and this year we have one in training, so there were two, both with complete documentation and health certificates from my veterinarian. When we arrived three of our rooms were not available, two were different locations, and one was not even clean. We had to wait over two hours to get into our room. Both sink drains were broke, and only one was fixed the last day of our four night stay. The phone in our room did not work either. The clerk at the front desk, which was usually not manned, Lee, was obviously overwhelmed and was not very welcoming, in fact, questioned me about my service dog even after I presented her with their vests, service dog tags and gave her copies of their health certificates that states they are "service animals traveling with the owners." She stopped me the next day and again questioned me, telling me she did not see anywhere on the health certificates that stated that they were service animals. So I pointed to the statement and she said "do you have one for both dogs?" She was holding two in her hand at that time with their names on the documents. I travel all over the country almost every weekend and I have never been treated like a liar before. Then the hotel charge me 50 dollars for having my dogs there, and I have NEVER paid any hotel for my service dog to stay with me. At check in, she wanted me to sign a form agreeing to pay 50, and I told her I refused to pay for my service dog and did not sign the form. The hotel charge my credit card without my permission for that charge. But this is not the only decline of this hotel, the breakfast food used to be delightful, now you get coffee, cold cereal, milk, orange juice and day old bread and bagels to make toast with some margarine. They used to have fresh pastries, yogurt, assorted spread for fresh bagels etc. etc. etc. And on Sunday, at 7am there still was not even any coffee! Called the front desk and she told me she was on her way in and I asked her what time they open the breakfast room on Sunday, her answer was, "later then usual." We are very careful about our dogs, and always clean up after them, but I did see other people who did not clean up after their dogs, my friend actually went out in the grass and was cleaning up after other people's dogs! When I checked out and saw I was charged the 50 dollars, Lee called the hotel manager so I could question the charge, he told me that was their policy and if I did not like it - don't stay here anymore! Now that is the way to keep customers happy and coming back, NOT! Well, the fact is, not only will I not stay there anymore, but neither will any of my friends. I did see several other friends who stayed there the same time and I will have a chance to talk with them as well about how they were treated. The ADA law is very clear, you cannot question anyone about their service animal to the extent that this hotel questioned me about my service animal. And I would sincerely hope that no one else who travels with their service animal would have to endure the wait get into their room and then on top of that, the demeaning treatment that I received. There are other hotels in Lompoc who will be very happy to see customers stay with their service animal, one of which will get my business, and my friends as well, the next time we travel to that city. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone anymore.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank TYLERJOE
Pittsburg, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I visit Lompoc monthly for a one nighter and I usually stay at the Motel 6. However, this week M6 was booked solid and they referred me to White Oaks Hotel in Vandenberg Village . It was a bit more expensive, but worth it. The senior's rate was about 15% off. The room was large with a king size bed and it had a mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. I don't need these items, but if I did, I would gladly go there. Everything was clean and well kept. The building is older, but reasonably well kept. It was probably built when Vandenberg AFB was expanded into the West Coast space port.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sean_Maguid
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

This place was a nightmare & a hot mess! Facility very sketching. The only staff seen was the woman behind the check in counter in the lobby who didn't know what she was doing. In fact, the lobby counter was not manned for most of the time. We didn't make reservations ahead of time to stay in this town and only decided to get a room because we had been driving all
day & were exhausted. This was the only hotel within 40 miles that had any vacancies...we should have taken note of this warning! Bottom line--"keep driving, do not pass go & do not collect $200!"

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank Leilani E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lompoc
Lotus of Lompoc - A Great Hospitality Inn
#1 of 3 in Santa Ynez
Hotel Corque
Hotel Corque
#1 of 10 in Solvang

Been to White Oaks Hotel? Share your experiences!