“Wow! What a pleasant surprise!”
Review of Dow Villa Motel

and 1 more site!
Dow Villa Motel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lone Pine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I was expecting your average three star motor motel, but I was wrong. Everything about this hotel was just lovely. The room and the pool were all clean and well cared for. The service was great, they even let us check in a little early. The location in town was perfect. We stayed in a pet friendly room, it was very clean and they didn't charge extra! We would come back in an instant!

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I recently stayed at the historic Dow Villa in Lone Pine and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The hotel is over 90 years old but is maintained in remarkably impeccable condition. Rooms are comfortable and beds are very comfortable. The entire grounds are kept in perfect condition. The staff members are knowledgeable, polite and very accommodating. And, there is fresh coffee available 24/7. The hotel is in the center of the community and virtually everything is within walking distance. The western character of this facility is charming and you get a real sense of how it was "back in the day." I will definitely return.

Room Tip: A friend who stayed here had a disability which precluded her from using stairs. Immediately upon l...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We booked to stay in the Historic Dow Vista Hotel, as the motel allows pets and I have severe allergies. We paid a little extra to have one of the ensuite rooms - as some of the rooms do not have their own private bathrooms - approx $98 for the 1 night.

The room initially exceeded my expectations as I had been expecting a hotel well passed it's best, I mean it's called "historic"! But the room was large and the furnishings looked newer than I had imaged, best of all was a huge super king sized bed. The sink was in the main bedroom, along with a mirror above sink, chest of drawers, chair and the table the telly was resting on etc. The was a hair dryer in room, but no fridge which is missed in such a hot climate (I mention this as I was surprised as all other hotels on our travels around America from motels to hotels to inns have had fridges in the bedrooms).

The bad points - the room appeared clean but was let down by a few things. I found bits of sugar wrappings etc on floor by bed and an old raison or similar was discovered by stepping on it :-S The towels were stained and threadbare - not nice when quite cheap and easy to make right. There were hairs all over pillows which makes me think have they been changed? I know you usually get 1 or 2 from when the bedding has been changed, but there was at least 1 long black hair and several short dark hairs on every pillow - shouldn't leave that many when changing sheets!? :-S Also the plug in the sink was cracked, minor point.

As mentioned, we paid extra to have our own ensuite but the shower was terrible, initially good pressure and temperature but fluctuated wildly during quick 3 min shower from freezing cold to boiling hot. Not the most pleasant :-(

The pool area was very nice though (if overrun with children :-S) with a few sunbeds and a hot tub, which we couldn't get near. The parking was easy, but didn't see a lift in the hotel so be prepared to carry your bags upstairs. Ice machine near pool for guests. Wifi was pretty good, we have had a lot worse in our travels! And is sufficient to get some work done if necessary.

I would rate this hotel 3.5, but as I can't do this I have upped to 4 as great location, we got a good nights sleep and the Wifi and pool were great amenities to have. With a little more cleaning in the room and new towels my review would have been closer to 4/5.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We had a room with Queen bed in the motel (not historic hotel). The room and bathroom were large, nicely furnished, and clean. Centrally located for walking to recommended restaurants. Less than a mile to film museum, ranger station, and start of Alabama Hills route.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great stay at the Dow Villa. The rooms were clean and the beds and linens were comfortable. The staff was pleasant and helpful. The pool was great since it was in the 90s. Good location. You can walk anywhere in town. We'd stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here on our road trip. What a great hotel in a great town. The room was comfortable, well appointed and the best bed I have slept in ever.
The lounge area was great with photos of the stars who have filmed here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2014

What a treat, to find this great old hotel, beautifully updated. Don't miss all the movie nostalgia in the halls of the original hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Great stop on the way to Mammoth or Death Valley. We loved our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
#7 of 8 in Lone Pine
Mt. Whitney Motel
Mt. Whitney Motel
#8 of 8 in Lone Pine

Been to Dow Villa Motel? Share your experiences!