“Will not stay again”

Ranked #41 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Victoria, Canada
“Will not stay again”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I did not even last a night here. My party arrived early before check in around 1 pm and they did not allow us to check in early. Because we didn't have our room yet, we asked if they could store our bags as we did not have a car. They said they could but made us leave our bags outside. We left for a bite to eat and returned. When we were checking in, the woman at the front desk was rude and spoke minimal English. When we finally got our room there were several things wrong. There was a large hole in the blanket, mould in the caulking in the shower, the toilet paper roll was almost empty, and the door didn't shut properly. Not to mention there was no elevator to get our luggage upstairs. I called Choice Hotels who contacted the hotel. The manager came to take a look and brought the maid. We showed him the problems and he yelled at the maid in front of us (not at all professional) and claimed the black caulking was actually clean. He left and then without knocking, the maintence person barges into our room to recaulk the bathtub. We then get switched rooms. In the new room, the sheets were dirty. As we booked through Hotwire, I called and complained to them. I did get a refund. This is advertised as a 2 star but I've stayed in hostels nicer than this. The beds were rock hard and the rooms were very dark and dingey.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank blondegypsygirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I was asked to leave and return my key due to my service dog. I presented proper identification at check in however attendant said per manager request I need to return my key and leave. It's was not a good feeling!!! I have filed a formal complaint with ADA.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Martino C

Travellers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

JACKSON
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is probably the one of the worst places I have ever stayed. From first glances, this appears like a decent place and maybe it was just the room we were stuck in which in actually the one right about the sign you see in the picture above (201). I should have known we were in for a rough night when we first pull into the "lot" of 4 parking spaces that you can not see in the picture to check in. While I wait in the car in an illegal parking space and my husband checks in, we drop off our luggage at the curb and have to haul it up the stairs. You have to park down this one way little alley with a steep incline in a small parking lot, which in the morning in the daylight does not look very safe, with a run down house bordering it and just plain shady. I'm glad we had a rental car and not my real car. Upon entering the room, which was clean, we notice that there is no place to actually put a suitcase. The "work station" the room was supposed to have was a nightstand at the side of the bed with the phone. The room however did have a microwave and a refrigerator which apparently leaked because the floor was damped and musty smelling near there. The set up for the bathroom was just weird and awkward. The shower stall and the toilet were directly next to the bed and you had to walk around the corner to the sink which was right next to the door. There was absolutely no water pressure in the shower, no shelves to put shampoo or soap on and there was only one light bulb working about the mirror at the sink. If all of this was not enough as the night went on, and we turned the TV off, the traffic noise was just horrendous and sounded like a semi truck was coming through the wall at any point during the night. Then there was the constant rattling of the pipes in the bathroom keep us awake all night. Neither one of us got any sleep at all. Morning could not come fast enough for us. Breakfast here was a joke. Pre-wrapped danishes and warm Sunny Delight, but I would not expect any more after the night I had just had. Upon check out, I wanted to discuss my night with the clerk, however he was too busy outside dusting off his car in one of the four prime parking spots up top for guests and told me to just slide my key card through the slot in the bullet proof glass. Customer Service at it's finest.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank D H
Aztec, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Good points: very convenient to airport without having to deal with airport noise. Enclosed parking area is great if you get there early. Neighborhood surrounding this small lodge appeared to be a good one. The outside of the lodge is well-kept.

Negative points: at first glance it looked okay, but in my opinion it could have been cleaner (check out the baseboards and along the floor edge). Bathroom was clean, except the tub appeared to have mold around the edge of the tub. Whoever made the bed doesn't know how to make a bed properly. The breakfast was very scanty and kind of late (7:30) with only sweet offerings (apples should have been thrown out long ago). My biggest complaint is that they wouldn't print out my boarding pass and so we had to wait until we got to the airport to do so (ended up okay since the airport was not busy).

Really, with just a few small changes, this could be a great place to stay, especially if you are flying out of Long Beach airport.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank TeacherReed
Menifee, California, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2013

As with other reviewers, we were looking for an economical place to stay while we were in town to attend our religious convention being held nearby. Our room was neat and clean and had everything we were looking for; TV, microwave, refrigerator.....and FREE Wi-Fi!!! We made our reservation rather close to the date of our convention, so we were not able to get a non-smoking room, but the room we did get--smoking--did not have that nauseous reek of old cigarettes which usually haunt smoking rooms! Since I have arthritis and cannot climb stairs, the room we received was handicap accessible--on the first floor, and ended up being around, and in a corner where we did not hear any noise from the parking lot or street traffic at all...and the ice machine was close by.
The staff was accommodating and friendly and the lady in the office was VERY helpful!! I don't know why another reviewer reported that the staff was rude, as we found that not to be true at all.
They do offer a free continental breakfast there; but we were never able to enjoy it...maybe next time!
Some of the reviews I read on Trip Advisor said the area looked sketchy, but it is a general business area with lots of choices for where to go get something to eat. We saw no evidence of sketchy activity or people in that area.
We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
picton nz
Reviewed 11 April 2013

The hotel turned out to be fairly well located as not having a car it was necessary to walk to find something to eat. There was a spa pool but I didn't get to use it. All duty managers were most helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms seemed much of a m,uch and all backed a rear courtyard where the swimming pool was.