“French Toast is Delish!”
Review of Starling Diner

Starling Diner
Ranked #71 of 1,120 Restaurants in Long Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Tasty breakfast - the peach french toast special was wonderful. Stuffed with cheese and topped with peach syrup sauce - yummy. Good coffee and nice assortment of other dishes. Good service.

1  Thank Kathryn G
There are newer reviews for Starling Diner

Reviewed 8 July 2013

As a chef, I always cook my own breakfast, I make very good egg dishes:). However at the starling Diner you find fresh ideas, and food. The breakfast menu has all the basics plus some very interesting and yummy different choices. I loved the polenta and the granola. Also I tried the salmon bruschetta and I love it. Well done!

Minuses: long wait! The place is not cheap either, but good quality food.

The staff is supper fun and friendly to the hungry waiting crowd:)

1  Thank Nabahoney
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This place is amazing. High end breakfast/brunch fare that is excellently prepared and presented. Had dinner there once and it was top shelf as well. Quiet residential neighborhood. A hidden gem.

1  Thank Otto K
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This restaurant has been highly touted by locals and by its owners for taking "risks" and serving artisan-type food. While the restaurant itself is darling - great location, ample free parking in a quiet neighborhood, wonderful decor and ambiance - for whatever reason (cost cutting?), the day I was there the poor waiter was by himself and had to do the cooking, the table service, and clean up. I didn't mind the informality of being told to seat myself, but $10 for a plate of artisan eggs with pan roasted potatoes that tasted like they had been sitting in a warmer for 2 hours doesn't cut it. The baguette was fresh but was not homemade; tasted like it was from Von's. I understand the realities of having a small neighborhood diner, but the place was actually pretty full at 2 pm in the afternoon, and after a while, everyone is going to stop trying to be supportive and just stop going. The food needs to be outstanding, and then it would be full enough to justify hiring more staff. I would have stayed for coffee and dessert in the true French fashion if the waiter had not been too overwhelmed to NEVER come back to my table after throwing down my plate of eggs and running back to the kitchen to make sandwiches. I waited almost 20 minutes for my check while he chatted with one of the regulars and served every other table in the room. I'm not blaming him, I just think this is not the way to run a start up. It feels more like we are supposed to be so impressed with the concept that we will put up with anything for the honor of eating there. The owners need to tone down the self-impressed attitude, stop pretending like they are the next Top Chef candidates, and turn out a quality product instead. I wish them the absolute best; they could really pull it off if they shook themselves up a bit.

2  Thank ThreeRivers944
Reviewed 11 January 2013

WOW. The service was amazing considering how packed they were for breakfast. We each had the stuff french toast with mascarpone and crème fraiche....and OMG. This is like nothing you've had before.....Would strongly recommend this place if you are in the area. I am sure that the rest of the menu items are just as good. My brother lives in Long Beach and is a big fan of this place as well.

1  Thank Melissa S