“Unique & Quirky - Nice - Feels like you are in an Ikea showroom”
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I typically stay at the Marriott or Hilton properties when in the area. however due to a conference they were all booked. I stumbled on this "boutique" property and thought I would give it a shot.

I almost missed the hotel when I drove down the street. The primary signage was above my view (or at least where I was looking). Upon arrival you will learn that you park in the lot next to the Varden which is very convenient. The front desk gives you a sign to put on your dash.

The property is immaculate, the staff is exteemly accomodating and friendly. It is apparant they are all proud of the property

The unique quirkiness I referenced in the title specifically relates to the narrow hallways and tiny rooms. The room was very clean and the furniture was well scaled for the small size room.... and it worked. However if you typically stay in a "normal" hotel the room will be shockingly small... but again,,,it was really all the space you need while on business travel.

When I called home I told my wife I felt like I was staying in an hotel run by IKEA.

The location was GREAT. I walked one block to dinner and returned to the hotel.

The only TRUE negative is the fact that there is NO exercise facility. They have an arrangement with a Gold's Gym a block away, which I tried - but the facility was in poor condition so I elected to run outside instead.

While this property is not my first pick due to lack of exercise facility, I can certainly see how many people would find this hotel unique and enjoy it.

Room Tip: I was in room 8. It was at the end of the hall on the main level right by the stairs. I was afraid...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Brett-Christy

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here 1 night in July. The girl at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. The room was definitely tiny, (reminded me of staying in Tokyo) but surprisingly contained everything you would expect in a hotel room. The free continental breakfast and free wifi was a nice touch as well. The location is a few blocks from the aquarium, restaurants, etc. Would recommend for solo travelers or couples.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sam B
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

We arrived following a shorter than expected journey ( so a little early) we were welcome to check in early which was great. First impressions were good and the staff were helpful and ready with suggestions of things to do in the area and places to eat. The decor was white, white, white very clean if a little boring. Then came the room, they have to be the smallest I have ever stopped and the bed was tiny. I only have a small butt and even I struggled to get one cheek in the bathroom it was soooo tiny. Overall the place lacked any kind of character. Pity because the staff were top notch.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank StuartLR
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Spent 2 nights recently at the Varden. Perfect place that delivered everything they said on their website including their morning continental breakfast and the afternoon wine and snack. Walking distance to many resturants. The only slight negative is the bed - too soft for me but most likely OK for many others. Much better than all the large chain hotels nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank klleung
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We went to Long Beach for an overnight stay to attend an art opening and after arriving we wished we could have stayed longer. The historic building was charming and the interior design was modern and chic. The room was a bit small if comparing to the typical hotel room, but the functional design accommodated all of our things and it was quite comfortable for my husband, toddler, and me! The bed was very cozy and comfortable, too! Everything looked and felt, expensive. The service, however, was the best! Everyone we met was genuine and accommodating which is a rarity these days! We have recommended The Varden to our friends and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank terrya729
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Great boutique hotel in Long Beach with a reasonable room rate. All the staff were extremely friendly, accommodating and helpful. Nice lobby and sitting area where there is continental breakfast in the morning and wine and snacks in the afternoon. Rooms were a nice size and very clean, however, the shower in our room was very tiny so beware! There is no elevator but the staff eagerly offer to help with luggage. Overall, my husband and I were very pleased. We would definintely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a bigger shower, if possible. If not, be sure to bring a shower cap if you don't...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andre_and_Denise
Reviewed 10 July 2013

If you enjoy exploring/experiencing new cities, enoying its history and quaintness, and trying to get a 'feel' for it -- when in Long Beach, DO choose the Varden. It is just full of character and marketed as a boutique hotel, which it is! It's cozy, clean, and in a good location for walking to the restaurant and bars, as well as riding the buses around the city. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful! Just awesome service as all other reviewers have noted.

The only reason I am giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the shower - which was exceptionally high on the wall and unadjustable, so it wet my hair when I didn't want it to. Taller people might not have the same problem, but just so you know........ Also, remember, there is no elevator. We were ok wth this, but just so you know before you go.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple