“People matter”

Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Perth, Australia
“People matter”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

What can I say - hotel was lovely, close to town, lovely rooms, bit small etc etc but the best thing and it has been said before the staff are fantastic, lovely, lovely, lovely they make it an outstanding experience ..have never really felt as welcome in a hotel as when we stayed here

Room Tip: none really but there are some rooms with bigger beds which we took and these are only booked direct...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank penshawpaul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We enjoyed our one night stay at the Varden very much. This is a special hotel with an unusually friendly vibe. As others have said, the customer service is excellent! The rooms are small but designed to make the best use of the small space. The only issue I had was with the very tiny sink. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reen75
McKinleyville, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I came across The Varden while looking for something other than that the large chain hotel I normally stay at on business. What a delightful find! The customer service was fabulous, from the moment I booked the room (& made a special request, which they were happy to accommodate) until I left & was helped with my bags to the car. They cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. While the rooms are smaller than the large chain hotels, they are a decent size and have all the amenities needed - very clean with comfortable feather beds and indulgently soft pillows. Complementary continental breakfast in the morning, wine & cheese in the afternoon. And priced far below what I normally pay. For me, the location was perfect - a short walk to the convention center and just a block away from Pine Street and all the wonderful restaurants. Now that I have discovered this little gem I will not stay anywhere else when business brings me to Long Beach!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Suzie B
Saugatuck, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I chose The Dolly Varden based in its high score on Tripadvisor and because it is one of the only reasonably priced hotels in Long Beach . We were not disappointed. The customer service was above and beyond. The rooms were small but very well designed and very clean. The bed was comfy. There is a free bus that will take you from the Catalina Express landing to a block from the hotel, but we walked it in about 15 minutes. We also took the number 151 bus to the retro shopping district at 4th & Cherry - fun! The owner of the hotel was there and spent time with us discussing the renovations and the upcoming restoration of the super cool vintage roof top sign which is coming down on Oct 24 and hopefully going back up by New Years Eve.

Room Tip: Apparently the beds are larger on the 3rd floor?
2 Thank Melissa F
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Best. Service. Ever. I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world and while on my recent trip to California I decided to try and save some money to offset the prices of the other hotels on the trip. I have to say the staff was so professional and informative - they helped us with advice on going to the Farmers Market and La Brea Tar pits.They printed off directions for us to the wedding we were attending. Most of all I will never forget the kindness of the staff.

2 Thank LindaItalyFan
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent location, extremely clean, very friendly and helpful staff. Stayed for one night in a very small room. It was a bit too compact if the stay would have been longer. Nevertheless the cleanliness, service quality and location were excellent so no complaints here. Definitely, recommend as a very good value for money. Parking is also available.

Room Tip: The small room is really small, so if you intend to stay more than 1-2 nights, get a bigger one. Ou...
2 Thank avzMunich_Germany
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I recently stayed at The Varden for a week during the California Association of Realtors Expo. The hotel is very cute, exceptionally clean and the entire staff very accomodating and pleasant.
Every member of the small staff went out of their way to make my stay exceptional.

Yes, the rooms are relatively small but I was only there to sleep. The bed was extremely comfortable and the pillows of above average quality. The complimentary coffee & breakfast in the mornings and complimentary wine and snacks was a nice touch. Internet service was poor, but fortunately I was not doing business from my room.

The staff was incredibly warm, hospitable, accommodating and friendly. I will definitely stay at The Varden again should I find myself in Long Beach. I look forward to my return.

Thank you Varden!

Room Tip: I was in room 35 (top floor corner unit) Very quiet, bright and comfortable!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business