“Lovely stay thanks to the lovely staff!”
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Long Beach
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Lovely stay thanks to the lovely staff!”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This independently run boutique hotel is a gem amid a sea of corporate chain properties. I was in Long Beach for a conference and chatting with the warm staff members on my way in and out of of the hotel during my four day stay added a personal touch to the trip. On a practical note, the staff was helpful in finding me a nearby cellphone store and vegetarian restaurant. I did not have a chance to partake in the evening wine tasting, but would have loved to!
The rooms are a bit small, but they include everything that you need so I didn't really mind as I was traveling solo. This also gives the place a bit of a European feel. I slept very well, enjoyed the shower, and the complimentary coffee and tea which are always available in the lobby.
One of the things that I enjoyed here was the free wifi in the rooms. There is nothing that is more annoying than paying a lot for a hotel and then having to pay a few extra dollars to be granted access to their crappy wifi.
The Varden has managed to maintain a graciousness that is no longer common in service (certainly not in an industrial area like downtown Long Beach in the vicinity of that massive convention center) and it is a genuine graciousness that I really enjoyed.
I would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LeeyaEngel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I personally have stayed at the Varden many times and not only is the staff extremely helpful and friendly, but it's location is great for all those wanting to experience Long Beach. The rooms are clean and beds are extremely comfortable; although they are smaller rooms it's extremely comfortable place for anyone traveling alone or with another person. I make it a point every time I am in long Beach to reserve a room here and every time I am there I get the same great level of service as the times before. It's reasonably priced and trust me you get so much more than what you pay for. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Long Beach, CA!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Leelee12120708
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

What can I say - hotel was lovely, close to town, lovely rooms, bit small etc etc but the best thing and it has been said before the staff are fantastic, lovely, lovely, lovely they make it an outstanding experience ..have never really felt as welcome in a hotel as when we stayed here

Room Tip: none really but there are some rooms with bigger beds which we took and these are only booked direct...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank penshawpaul
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We enjoyed our one night stay at the Varden very much. This is a special hotel with an unusually friendly vibe. As others have said, the customer service is excellent! The rooms are small but designed to make the best use of the small space. The only issue I had was with the very tiny sink. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Reen75
McKinleyville, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I came across The Varden while looking for something other than that the large chain hotel I normally stay at on business. What a delightful find! The customer service was fabulous, from the moment I booked the room (& made a special request, which they were happy to accommodate) until I left & was helped with my bags to the car. They cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. While the rooms are smaller than the large chain hotels, they are a decent size and have all the amenities needed - very clean with comfortable feather beds and indulgently soft pillows. Complementary continental breakfast in the morning, wine & cheese in the afternoon. And priced far below what I normally pay. For me, the location was perfect - a short walk to the convention center and just a block away from Pine Street and all the wonderful restaurants. Now that I have discovered this little gem I will not stay anywhere else when business brings me to Long Beach!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Suzie B
Saugatuck, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I chose The Dolly Varden based in its high score on Tripadvisor and because it is one of the only reasonably priced hotels in Long Beach . We were not disappointed. The customer service was above and beyond. The rooms were small but very well designed and very clean. The bed was comfy. There is a free bus that will take you from the Catalina Express landing to a block from the hotel, but we walked it in about 15 minutes. We also took the number 151 bus to the retro shopping district at 4th & Cherry - fun! The owner of the hotel was there and spent time with us discussing the renovations and the upcoming restoration of the super cool vintage roof top sign which is coming down on Oct 24 and hopefully going back up by New Years Eve.

Room Tip: Apparently the beds are larger on the 3rd floor?
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melissa F
Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Best. Service. Ever. I have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world and while on my recent trip to California I decided to try and save some money to offset the prices of the other hotels on the trip. I have to say the staff was so professional and informative - they helped us with advice on going to the Farmers Market and La Brea Tar pits.They printed off directions for us to the wedding we were attending. Most of all I will never forget the kindness of the staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple