“Very Nice/Chic Hotel.....”
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The Varden is a beautiful Chic hotel in the heart of downtown Long Beach. Rooms were a little small but we knew this going in. The rooms are comfortable, clean and very modern. Windows open for nice salty eveing air. Nice wine, cheese and snacks in the evening. For the price of hotels in Long Beach, you can not beat the Varden. Staff was helpful, polite and very informative of the area. 1 block from the Passport bus stop which is free and brings you right to all the waterfront activities.....

Room Tip: If you dont mind stairs, some of the third floor urban's have queen size beds......
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BradleyandMia
There are newer reviews for The Varden Hotel

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Very charming boutique hotel. Thoroughly enjoyed the staff, they were excellent. The room was cozy, bed very good, bathroom compact. Only words of caution are in regards to the rooms and location. If you are used to big rooms this is not the place for you. We found the Long Beach area to be meh, the aquarium was nice, restaurants ok. We spent the night before a cruise here and the cabin on our ship was bigger (cruise cabins are built for mini people). Besides that The Varden is awesome, would stay here again in a heart beat. In the future we would stay in the Manhattan Beach area which is very very nice.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike A
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This independently run boutique hotel is a gem amid a sea of corporate chain properties. I was in Long Beach for a conference and chatting with the warm staff members on my way in and out of of the hotel during my four day stay added a personal touch to the trip. On a practical note, the staff was helpful in finding me a nearby cellphone store and vegetarian restaurant. I did not have a chance to partake in the evening wine tasting, but would have loved to!
The rooms are a bit small, but they include everything that you need so I didn't really mind as I was traveling solo. This also gives the place a bit of a European feel. I slept very well, enjoyed the shower, and the complimentary coffee and tea which are always available in the lobby.
One of the things that I enjoyed here was the free wifi in the rooms. There is nothing that is more annoying than paying a lot for a hotel and then having to pay a few extra dollars to be granted access to their crappy wifi.
The Varden has managed to maintain a graciousness that is no longer common in service (certainly not in an industrial area like downtown Long Beach in the vicinity of that massive convention center) and it is a genuine graciousness that I really enjoyed.
I would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LeeyaEngel
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I personally have stayed at the Varden many times and not only is the staff extremely helpful and friendly, but it's location is great for all those wanting to experience Long Beach. The rooms are clean and beds are extremely comfortable; although they are smaller rooms it's extremely comfortable place for anyone traveling alone or with another person. I make it a point every time I am in long Beach to reserve a room here and every time I am there I get the same great level of service as the times before. It's reasonably priced and trust me you get so much more than what you pay for. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Long Beach, CA!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Leelee12120708
Reviewed 8 November 2013

What can I say - hotel was lovely, close to town, lovely rooms, bit small etc etc but the best thing and it has been said before the staff are fantastic, lovely, lovely, lovely they make it an outstanding experience ..have never really felt as welcome in a hotel as when we stayed here

Room Tip: none really but there are some rooms with bigger beds which we took and these are only booked direct...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank penshawpaul
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We enjoyed our one night stay at the Varden very much. This is a special hotel with an unusually friendly vibe. As others have said, the customer service is excellent! The rooms are small but designed to make the best use of the small space. The only issue I had was with the very tiny sink. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Reen75
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I came across The Varden while looking for something other than that the large chain hotel I normally stay at on business. What a delightful find! The customer service was fabulous, from the moment I booked the room (& made a special request, which they were happy to accommodate) until I left & was helped with my bags to the car. They cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. While the rooms are smaller than the large chain hotels, they are a decent size and have all the amenities needed - very clean with comfortable feather beds and indulgently soft pillows. Complementary continental breakfast in the morning, wine & cheese in the afternoon. And priced far below what I normally pay. For me, the location was perfect - a short walk to the convention center and just a block away from Pine Street and all the wonderful restaurants. Now that I have discovered this little gem I will not stay anywhere else when business brings me to Long Beach!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business