All reviewsrooms are smallboutique hotelhighly recommend the vardencontinental breakfastcomplimentary wineglass shelfconvention centereuropean feelno elevatorpine streetkeurig coffeedowntown long beachyogurtbottled watertrade showbusiness tripbusiness traveler
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Some really great touches in this no-frills stylish boutique hotel.
Fantastic, friendly and helpful welcoming staff make a check in a breeze, and a little boozey also as they have a wine tasting in the early evenings. Initial parking can be a wee bit tricky as there is no valet and no place to pull in; park your car in the lot next door and immediately ask for a parking validation (works out at $11 a day).
I had room 35 for a couple of days - this was located at the back of the hotel which was great (quieter) on the 2nd floor. The rooms are SMALL - be prepared. However they are functional, clean and wonderfully executed. Excellent sheets and towels. Bathroom layout however could be improved upon - the shower is very small and easily could be larger by using the full width of the bathroom. Toilet faces the sink directly with very little room between. Toiletries were fine - if basic.
Included continental breakfast was only OK - the coffee was alright but the pastries were cheap and ruined the effect. Some chopped fresh fruit would have made all the difference instead of an unfriendly fruit bowl. There was also some nasty yogurt.
Overall a great stay; but avoid the breakfast. Be sure to arrange your parking spot in advance of your arrival - the parkiing lot is not very big.

Room Tip: I stayed at the back - it was quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank FreshEire A
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at The Varden four nights prior a cruise we made. Arriving in the dark after a long flight from Germany we were a bit disappointed about the size of the room and bed. But after a first good night we liked the room, the design and especially the very familiar atmosphere. All the staff was very friendly and during breakfast and the afternoon get together with free drinks we could meet other guests and felt very much at home.

All the restaurants and bars are within walking distance. If you have a car and are away during the day it is cheaper to feed the parking meter on the street than to use the nearby hotel parking.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bkkfra
Reviewed 12 December 2013

What a surprise to find the Varden! We are Portland Timbers fans and wanted to find a hotel near Carson stadium and went on the search. The Varden is perfect and we will return. It is a balance of an event, the beach, Queen Mary tour, downtown Long Beach cool bars and restaurants, and the Pacific marinas. The hotel is small and very intimate, but impeccably well done, clean and a wonderful staff. Our stay was interesting with other guests going to the Long Beach Convention Center for an international physics conference. Talk about interesting conversations over breakfast! The owner is onsite and attentive and our room on the third floor was quaint and cozy before the game. Parking is also available for no charge. Can't wait for the vintage sign to go back up on the roof. Pick the Varden! It is far better than an overused beach hotel and makes you really feel like you have been somewhere special.

Room Tip: higher, off the sidewalk or parking lot. We were at the top of stairs on the third floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I stayed at the Varden Hotel in Long Beach prepping for job interviews because it was a mid point between Los Angeles & Orange County. The hotel was pretty(vintage) and easy to find, and parking was not a pain. I was greeted by friendly staff and they didn't make me feel like just a dollar sign. They were knowledgeable about Long Beach (I'm from Chicago) and even gave me insight into the city, work, other towns, the people and what I have to look forward too when I move here in spring of 2014. I love this hotel!!!! SO clean, So cute, Very stylish, and the bed was fabulous!!!! Larry and his staff are amazing, and I would love to stay with them again when I come back. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a great experience :) I love the Varden & Long Beach and will booking with them again very very soon :) Thanks for the memorable and relaxing stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Elizabeth P
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Yes, it's cozy - and that is to be expected from a refurbished boutique hotel. BUT, the service, the cleanliness, the location and did I mention the service(?) were wonderful.

I am a regular traveller, and have never experienced this level of warmth, welcome and sincere concern from hotel staff. Outstanding customer service rating. It was truly a delight to stay at the Varden Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo