All reviews rooms are small boutique hotel highly recommend the varden continental breakfast complimentary wine glass shelf convention center european feel no elevator pine street keurig coffee downtown long beach yogurt bottled water trade show business trip business traveler
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I had read the reviews on Priceline about this hotel, and was a bit worried. So the day that I was to arrive I called just to make sure of our accommodations. I was told that I had a full bed.... My partner and I are big boys. This will not work. So $20/ night extra I was able to upgrade to a queen bed. I got to the hotel. Sat in the lobby for a few minutes because the woman was upstairs fabreezing something. I say that because she had the bottle in her hand as she greeted us. Very, very friendly, and knowledgeable about the area and told us of great places to eat close by.
We got to the room and all I could smell was fabreeze and a musky damp odor. I didn't complain because I was told that there was only two queen rooms available and I didn't want to risk us not being able to find another queen room. I opened the windows and hoped for the best. The room is small the restroom was a decent size. The door is a large sliding mirror. So no locks.... I wished the shower was just a bit bigger. It felt like a wet room because everything was tile.
Over all I liked it. It comes with continental breakfast, and a wine service around dinner time. You have to pay extra per parking its about $11/day so that was a bit expensive. But you are surrounded by amazing food and entertainment.

I put the room as average. It was small had that weird smell. But all the fixtures, and items in the room were nice.

Room Tip: I was in 10 on the second floor. It faced the street but I think we had one of the bigger rooms in the place.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our cozy and clean room at The Varden Hotel. The owner was helpful and nice. The rooms are European in design. Efficient and fun. Don't expect grand size. Come and get great service and quality rooms.

The area is has plenty of good restaurants to please any type of style you're looking for within walking distance.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank purplejwhayes
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was the best hotel I've stayed in for over a year.

Rooms:

The room I stayed in was perfect for a one person business trip. Had a nice TV and a desk to work at. Many of the main chain hotels I have stayed in have huge amounts of room with no desk. The mattress, linens, and pillows felt like a luxury experience. The bed was soft but not too much so and the pillows were fluffy and didn't go flat!

Bathroom was small but I loved the efficiency of the room and its own unique motif so it didn't bother me any.

Service:

Was so great that I thought it was weird. I'm so used to getting sub standard service that it was almost strange to have outstanding service. A nice place with employees that remember your name and go out of their way to make your stay a wonderful one. Just having someone offer you a beverage as soon as you get in makes for a more pleasant stay!

I only stayed 2 nights but with the way the staff treats you it feels as though you're visiting royalty.

Extras:

I loved the hershey kisses in the rooms as well as the wine tasting and snacks in the evening. They also had a small continental breakfast in the mornings. The hotel was in walking distance from many places to walk around and eat. Was there on business so can't comment much about the shopping. And of course, free wifi!

Overall, a fantastic stay! If you're tired of over-priced cookie cutter hotels and are looking for a new and wonderful experience I definitely recommend the Varden! It is a more than reasonably priced boutique hotel with a different type of lodging experience. It is simple elegance, high efficiency, and just plain class all in one experience.

Room Tip: The hotel only has an elevator for handicapped patrons. Make sure you have some comfortable shoes to take your luggage up and down although the staff is more than happy to assist.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TheMarciC
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed the stay at Varden Hotel.
Staff is very friendly and it is very clean. Very practical and affordable for a vacation and business.

It's location is very convenient for Transportations and also there is a big parking if you have a vehicle.

I do recommend it for everyone!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dina S
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Ok...booked this based on being #1 on trip advisor.

Pros: free wine 5-7pm, friendly workers, not super expensive.

Cons: rooms are as small as a closet, no dressers, no room to move, bathrooms are small, NO counter space, shower is literally 3x3 feet with 2 corners being walls and the other 2 the curtain. If the room was any louder I would be in a construction zone.

This place was not comfortable at all.

I will NOT return.