“A peaceful oasis”
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I stayed here for a business trip recently and was blown away by the level of service - genuine, thoughtful, considerate service! The rooms are chic and NYC tiny - every inch is maximized. The beds are comfortable, the rooms quiet and the atmosphere is peaceful - very European feeling. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and the staff is helpful in making recommendations. This tiny hotel is easy to miss, but you shouldn't!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Susan B

Reviewed 14 March 2014

If you appreciate unique hotels that are locally owned and operated, this is the place for you. All employees we interacted with were incredibly helpful. They offered a very nice continental breakfast in the a.m. The subway/light rail was right out the front door! Downtown Long Beach with great restaurants was walkable.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jem2998
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This isn't a full-service hotel: it doesn't have a restaurant - thought it does provide a good continental breakfast. However, it fully deserves its current rank as Long Beach's #1. It's right next to all the downtown attractions and restaurants, with its own convenient parking lot. It's very clean and stylish and has exceptionally comfortable beds. It reminded me of similar boutique establishments where I've stayed in Madrid and San Sebastian. And it represents excellent value: I paid about $100 a night. You can use the gym across the road. Recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Opera-loverOxford
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This worked out really well for us because of its location and most importantly the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff. Affordable stay that provided all the necessary considerations that one would need for a pleasant weekend stay. We would definitely come back and stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justine w
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Once again we had a great visit at The Varden. The rooms are tastefully decorated, the bed comfortable and the hotel very clean. The staff is very friendly and hospitable and the service very good! The bottled water, Keurig coffee, happy hour and continual breakfast are nice perks! The location is very convenient.

Room Tip: The rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lkwill
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I had read the reviews on Priceline about this hotel, and was a bit worried. So the day that I was to arrive I called just to make sure of our accommodations. I was told that I had a full bed.... My partner and I are big boys. This will not work. So $20/ night extra I was able to upgrade to a queen bed. I got to the hotel. Sat in the lobby for a few minutes because the woman was upstairs fabreezing something. I say that because she had the bottle in her hand as she greeted us. Very, very friendly, and knowledgeable about the area and told us of great places to eat close by.
We got to the room and all I could smell was fabreeze and a musky damp odor. I didn't complain because I was told that there was only two queen rooms available and I didn't want to risk us not being able to find another queen room. I opened the windows and hoped for the best. The room is small the restroom was a decent size. The door is a large sliding mirror. So no locks.... I wished the shower was just a bit bigger. It felt like a wet room because everything was tile.
Over all I liked it. It comes with continental breakfast, and a wine service around dinner time. You have to pay extra per parking its about $11/day so that was a bit expensive. But you are surrounded by amazing food and entertainment.

I put the room as average. It was small had that weird smell. But all the fixtures, and items in the room were nice.

Room Tip: I was in 10 on the second floor. It faced the street but I think we had one of the bigger rooms in t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our cozy and clean room at The Varden Hotel. The owner was helpful and nice. The rooms are European in design. Efficient and fun. Don't expect grand size. Come and get great service and quality rooms.

The area is has plenty of good restaurants to please any type of style you're looking for within walking distance.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple