“Small, European-style, boutique hotel is accurate”
Review of The Varden Hotel

The Varden Hotel
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Varden is similar to many of the small hotels I've stayed in in Europe - small, minimalist hotels, clean, fresh and stylish. The service at the Varden, however, is exceptionally warm and gracious. Tracy and Tina were very professional and attentive, even extending happy hour one evening for a few of us who lingered as we engaged in stimulating conversation. I highly recommend this hotel for convenience, cleanliness and quality service.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank k_beth

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Long Beach area. The hotel staff was way beyond accommodating to my boyfriend and I who had decided to try the Amtrak, which is another story in itself. We arrived in LA way too early in the morning, the Varden staff allowed us to check into our room at 6:30! I have never had that happen anywhere else. The hotel itself is extremely clean and has everything you need. The rooms may be small, but it only adds to the charm. I simply loved it! The location could not be better, within walking distance of everything. I will return to this lovely hotel should I be in the area again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AJ408
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great experience. Even though we booked through Orbitz, the hotel staff was friendly and accommodating (way beyond what they needed to be,) when we had to change our booking last minute. Highly recommendable! Thanks

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CilleJepsen
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is a great combination of amazing service, and great access to everything you need (a block away from Pine Street which is filled with wonderful diverse restaurants, shops, etc., and just a few minutes from the Convention Center, Queen Mary, beach, etc.) The property is distinctive - a very clean, innovative renovation, and most importantly, the service exceeds expectations every step of the way. For the price, I didn't expect to have much help, but instead, it felt like we were staying in a five star hotel. We got great restaurant reservations, help with luggage, early check-in, and generally support every step of the way. (This review would be much too long if I were to enumerate all of the elements of this fantastic experience) Rooms are practical and efficient (they are small) - extremely clean, and nice. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Most rooms are similar - all were quiet and nice. If you have more than one, you'll want one of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Very disappointed in the ranking here! We booked on the basis of TA, but credibility has taken a hit. On the plus side, it's a handy location, and the staff are really friendly. But they need to be. We should have twigged when the taxi pulled in front of the hotel! And we should have baulked when the curtains opened to an old brick wall. No cupboard, but there is a hook thing. But hang your shirts there and you can't see the tv. The double bed is jammed in a corner. The hand basin at the end of the bed is tiny with a shelf above it so you struggle to brush your teeth. The shower opens up on to the tiny toilet, which could be handy but isn't! The "bathroom" door is a flimsy sliding cupboard door. The tiny double bed is extremely uncomfortable only matched by the two flimsy pillows. There is no room for your cases. So if there are two of you, forget this place. "Breakfast" is in a hallway type setup. Has some nice little fittings but this hardly makes up for the lack of comfort. Oh, the paper thin walls help you to listen to the guy next door snoring, I kid you not! We could only handle one night, and for a few more dollars booked into the Hilton. The move was inconvenient, but the reward great. What a contrast in value, comfort, space, facilities, breakfast... Seriously, reviewers need to tell it as it is otherwise TripAdvisor won't work!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank VFrequentTravellers
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Come with a sense of adventure, because the rooms are REALLY small. But they make the most of their space. It's easy if you're traveling solo, but I wouldn't bring children unless they were old enough to sleep in their own room. It would be tough to have a roommate as well (potty-to-bed ratio is too small.)

The rates are very reasonable and the hotel is meticulously clean. They have a friendly staff that works hard at providing top-notch service. Parking is reasonable too. Great location for a "walk-about" to restaurants and bars.

If you're in SoCal for work or an event, this is a good spot to start and end your day. I'm glad I stayed here.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RusstyCowboy
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for my Long Beach Marathon races starting in 2009.

The staff is always welcoming and had no issues with a late checkout after running the race.
On race day, they have coffee, water, and fruit for the runners staying there.

The one time I stayed there, we had an issue with the shower and they went out of there way to resolve the issue.

I will continue to stay at the Varden for all my future Long Beach races.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family