All reviewsrooms are smallboutique hotelhighly recommend the vardencontinental breakfastcomplimentary wineglass shelfconvention centereuropean feelno elevatorpine streetkeurig coffeedowntown long beachyogurtbottled watertrade showbusiness tripbusiness traveler
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Let's start by saying it's small, but I would definitely stay here again. Location is great near the waterfront and the staff could not be friendlier or more helpful. Like having your own personal butler.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2017

The hotel is in a renovated old building with creaky stairs, but clean and otherwise well-maintained. The staff is attentive and is happy to hand out water bottles on request. Most hotels charge for water after the initial complimentary bottle. They also have a complimentary wine tasting in the evening, and complimentary basic breakfast. You do pay for convenient parking next door. I never had to drive and walked to the Long Beach Convention Center every day for a conference I was attending. Restaurants and shopping are also close by.

The rooms are small, which I knew. But the shower stall is so small that with the shower curtain drawn all around it, you cannot avoid parts of your body touching the curtain as you take your shower. And my room on the 3rd. floor faced the road, with a street light shining all night through the windows. Instead of thick curtains which would have blocked all the light, they have blinds, with a pull-down shade meant to block light. However, they still let in significant amounts of light through the gap between the shade and the window frame, and unfortunately, this affected my sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the road if you want a totally dark room to sleep well.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2017

You won't find a friendlier staff to greet and help you thru your entire stay and future stays. My son used to live in Long Beach and The Varden was a perfect retreat for me and close to all our activities. The staff always knew my preferences and helped whenever needed. Their service was prompt and friendly! I even had a request thru an email and it was answered immediately! I loved staying at The Varden every time I visited Long Beach!

Room Tip: I have trouble with stairs. The first floor is easiest AND quiet and convenient. Rooms are small + have everything I need!
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2017

I needed to be in Long Beach for a conference and the conference hotel (one of the chain ones on Ocean) was sold out. I found the Varden through yelp or tripadvisor (I forget which). SO glad I did. Everyone else was at the corpo hotel. I had nice strolls back and forth to the hotel. Allowed me to stop in to Recreational Coffee and and Made by Millworks on my ambulations. Parking is right next door and easy (no giant structure to deal with).

What they've doen exceedingly well is balance modern amenities with the early 20th c charms of the hotel. The neon sign is fandamntastic. I even loved the walk up to the rooms. It made me feel like I was in another era, but then I had wifi and a nice bed. I didn't partake in the breakfast or happy hour, but those are nice adds. The staff were nice and helpful. Not fawning, just attentive. I regularly do business in Long Beach (I live about an hour north) and have found my new go-to place. Sorry Hotel Maya--the cookies are nice--but I'd rather be in DTLB at the Varden.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Found this beautiful historic gem on booking.com..immaculately clean white tiny bedrooms.fantastic locatiom for public transport and main shops bars and eating..all the staff we encountered so friendly and helpful..even had the pleasure to meet the owner...tip stay there again..sure would..fabulous

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple