“Personalized Service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, CA
“Personalized Service”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Checked in for one night on a short stay-cation while enjoying the child friendly environment in Long Beach, (children ages 4 and 6). This Hyatt is unlike what you expect. It is a small property with great personalized service. It is ran like a boutique hotel and not your massive, convention, cookie cutter chain hotel. Upon check in we were upgraded to a Deluxe Suite. With two children, we appreciate the extra room. The room was very nicely put together with a sofa sleeper and a flat screened that rotated from the sleeping area to the sitting area. The extra large rain shower was a nice touch.
This property has a roof top pool which is heated and provides a great view. The pool area has a walk up bar and two cabanas. The water is heated to a very comfortable temperature, even on a cloudy day.
Some areas of improvement include the lack of valet parking instead it is self-park at a parking garage next door. Room service is available only until 10pm. You must be prepared with snacks and drinks if you are prone to late night snacking.
My family felt very welcomed and comfortable during our stay. Except for the disappointing inconvenience of not having room service after 10pm, our stay was perfect. We will return and recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank love2travel79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 17 June 2014

and very friendly and helpful staff. room was nice bathroom was awesome. We just stayed for one Night. The Location is Remote. There is nothing around. We chose the hotel because of the great Price. There is a Parking Garage right across the street and you can buy Tickets at the hotel for a great Price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MCB110611
Manukau, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is my new favourite for the Long Beach area. I have stayed at Hilton, Westin and Hyatt Regency previously. Staff were friendly, location was perfect everything is walking distance. Spent an afternoon walking around Long Beach then took a cruise on the harbor. Had a lovely meal at Creme De La Crepe for breakfast which is just over 10 minutes walk away. There are closer options on the harbor and downtown area but nice to get out and see the neighborhood. Lovely clean room with an extremely comfortable bed and large bathroom easy for 2 people to get ready at the same time due to the double vanity. Rooftop pool has a beautiful view of the Long Beach area and was pleasant to swim and relax for a couple of hours. Parking as mentioned in other reviews is across the road at the Pike parking building. USD7.00 is good value so with the lovely room, pleasant staff, free internet, cheap parking and awesome location you cant go wrong.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duffus07
S. CA.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

First, when I say that Gregory Zuniga is a "rock star" Rooms Director at this property, I really mean it. Greg has his own rock band and is about to release his second album. He is playing shows around S. CA and the songs from that upcoming album are getting early rave reviews. Make it a point to ask for Greg when you visit this hotel and stop by to say hello to this great guy!!

This was my third stay at the property and all three stays have been fantastic. I got to meet Tyler McKee, the F&B Manager at the property on this visit and he handled his job like a pro! I ordered the fruit salad for breakfast and the restaurant had run out of raspberries, but I had been told when I ordered that the fruit salad would come with plenty of raspberries as I was not getting the melon today (as it was not ripe). The salad came with no raspberries at all, but instead some apple slices I did not desire at the moment. No biggie and I did not say anything. But, when Mr. McKee was making his rounds and asked me how I was enjoying my breakfast, I told him about the situation. Not only did he speak with the head chef to ensure this would not happen again (i.e. the wait staff would be informed when the kitchen ran out of a particular item), but before I even got back to my room, he had send up to my room (2) special craft beers for my enjoyment! Great job Mr. McKee!

But, the employee of this stay hands down as far as I was concerned was a housekeeping assistant named Steve. Steve is the type of employee I suspect that is rarely mentioned in reviews here. He is the "guy behind the scenes" running fresh sheets and towels to the housekeepers as they do their work. Often, the housekeepers do not get the recognition they deserve on TA, but seldom do their assistants. Anyway, when I entered the elevator to go up to my room, Steve was there literally sweating from working so hard. But, he had that Hyatt spirit to make sure to ask me about how my day was going and sincerely engaged a conversation with me for the minute the elevator was taking us up to the 7th floor. The next morning when I was checking out, once again, there was Steve working as hard as one could imagine for the housekeepers and I could hear the housekeepers telling Steve to "get this and get that" for them. He still made it a point to be as cheerful as one could be in his short exchange with me before I went down to the lobby. Steve exemplifies how a Hyatt employee should interact with Hyatt guests. He is as much as a "rock star" as Mr. Zuniga! I hope management truly recognizes the value of an employee like Steve!

This hotel has a wonderful outdoor pools with great views. I love the Hyatt Regency across the street (where I originally met Greg) but I have grown to love this hotel as well. Keep up the great work guys!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is unlike most Hyatt hotels and more like a boutique hotel. They offer personalized attention and beautiful rooms, the only negative is that parking is across the street and not at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NanceeLeeAllen
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I feel so fortunate to have booked this through a discount website for an awesome rate. It's right across the street from the aquarium and a block from the convention center. It's small enough to feel quaint but modern and upscale like a top notch hotel should be.

The ample shower is beautifully done in striated marble. The bed is comfortable and the decor simple, with lots of clean lines and warm tones. There are some unique touches that make the decor curiously creative. I love the round mirror slightly tucked behind the headboard. It intentionally seems to remind me of watching the sunset descending over the water.

The sliding door to the bathroom is an efficient way to conserve space while giving the room an updated vibe. Although the room isn't much larger than most hotel rooms we've stayed in, the space is creatively arranged to give it the feeling of being a suite. There is a little sofa, the desk has its own little corner by the front door. The bed is around the corner from the front door of the room, designating its privacy. Someone thoughtfully designed this room and I like their thinking!

We were so thrilled, we booked an extra night. By the way, the wi-fi is included in the room price. Parking is only $7/day and everything you'd want to see is pretty much within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank rosielovestravel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

As a Southern California local, I decided to book this hotel because I wanted to feel special and spend the evening at a reputable hotel with great reviews for the night before my graduation from law school (the ceremony was at the Long Beach Performing Arts Center). There were certainly other great hotel choices in the area that were less expensive -- but I figured, you only graduate from law school once, might as well splurge a little bit. HUGE MISTAKE.

First of all, you walk into the lobby and you are suddenly transported from sunny and beautiful Long Beach into a dark and seemingly desolate lobby. The rooms are TINY and the carpet is old and smells musky. Worst of all, I laid down in bed and looked at the nightstand and to my absolute HORROR, was an egregious amount of dirt and dust build up behind the nightstand and tangled up in the wires. I had never seen anything so gross at a hotel EVER (and I have stayed at a LOT of hotels, both luxury and budget). I have dust allergies so I immediately went down to the front desk to ask to be switched to a different room. However, allergies or no allergies NO PERSON SHOULD SLEEP WITH THEIR FACE SO CLOSE TO THAT MUCH DUST. It was disgusting and probably not in compliance with health and safety codes.

Unfortunately, one of the front desk staffers slipped up and told me "I know this probably won't make you feel any better, but we have been emailing with a professional cleaning company to have the problem cleaned up." NO, this does not make me feel any better because this means that you had knowledge of the problem, and are still renting these rooms out to patrons anyway despite the filth!!

The only saving grace for this hotel was the staff. The manager on duty was very polite and understanding and tried to accommodate us as best as he could and eventually put us in a suite with a king bed and pull out. Disappointing because two of us had to sleep on a sleeper sofa the night before law school graduation after paying a ton for this room. Even more disappointing because we opened the sleeper sofa only to find that the sheets had not been changed and it was full of MOLDY food. Disgusting. The only reason I did not complain even further was because at this point it was almost midnight and I needed to be awake at 6am the next morning to go to my commencement ceremony.

The Additionally, one of the maintenance staffers ( I wish I could remember his name), was SUPER helpful. He came up to our initial room in an attempt to vacuum the mess behind the nightstand (which we determined couldn't be done with a regular vacuum) and ALSO brought us clean sheets and extra pillows and blankets and was incredibly attentive and apologetic about the situation.

I think the Hotel Maya is a better value, cleaner and far more beautiful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends