“Great rooms, but sketchy area.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tower Motel Long Beach

Tower Motel Long Beach
Ranked #36 of 56 Hotels in Long Beach
Abbotsford, Canada
“Great rooms, but sketchy area.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

The rooms were great. They were really clean and the bathroom area was modernized. Large flat screen tv on the wall and a mini fridge. The area was really the only problem. As people have mentioned, the place to check in is a little room where you are separated by a plexi glass thing from the manager (kind of a scary start). Also it was two girls staying there which was likely a bad move. A few people walking by on the street saw us go into the room and followed us to the door and knocked on it. Needless to say we did not answer the door and they did eventually walk away with no issue but it was a little rattling. For a guy or a few guys it might be better but I would not recommend a women or group of ladies staying here alone.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank KaylaPanch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

If I could have gotten out of our reservation, I would have. We are here now, curtains drawn, air conditioner on to block out the noise, and window locked. The room is clean, as is the bathroom. There is a very nice, large flat screen TV, a microwave, and a mini fridge. That is the extent of the pros.

There is no lobby, just a pexiglass (bullet proof?) window to check in with the manager. Rooms are all on ground level and open to the small, secluded parking lot. We walked across the street looking for something to eat, and were literally stared at and glared at by most folks we passed. There are no recognizable restaurants in the area, and we quickly settled on calling for pizza rather than walking around the neighborhood. The apartments behind the hotel are loud, though the AC in the room blocks everything out.

I wont sleep well tonight and will gladly pay $30 more next time to stay in a little nicer area. I would not recommend this hotel--simply due to the sketchy area.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justamama

Travellers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

The other reviews had me a little scared of the neighborhood but staying at this motel was a very good experience. Everything was clean, well kept and in good repair--better than some higher-priced places. The manager was very security minded--he asks everyone for a photo ID and takes awhile to check it--but I didn't see any signs explicitly warning away prostitutes. We arrived early and the manager said "No problem"--just had us wait until a suitable room was ready and we moved right in with no extra charge. Our early checkout was a little shakier--the lady clearly did not speak English but was eloquent enough in gestures that everything was fine. We will stay here again if the need arises.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jbz
Kent, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have stayed at the Tower Hotel many times over the years and find the Tower to be not only inexpensive but also very comfortable, clean, helpful staff, friendly neighborhood, remodeled rooms, ( great TV ), and bus service in front of hotel. Also microwave and fridge in all rooms.

Room Tip: Very good Mexican restaurant just across the street and stores nearby.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Rodney534
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Very accommodating, rooms are nice....refrigerator, microwave, ice machine, HD big screen TV (with lots of channels). We flew from Florida for a business trip and I was worried about the price...pleasantly surprised!! Definitely, I would not take the time to recommend this place if it was not nice or a great experience!

Room Tip: Only been in one of there rooms...however excellent!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Rick T
Stuttgart
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

The neighborhood was tough to walk through (the 801 train is a few blocks, 5-10 minute walk) - a lot of people on the streets, got asked a few too many times about my coat... But everything else was surprisingly nice for the lowest price one can pay in Long Beach. Run by an Indian family that was very friendly, helped out after check-out with finding some things left in the room. The room had a clean carpet, remodeled bathroom was very clean, water even tasted better than other establishments on the same street. Big TV and micro, big fridge. Pillows were a little thin, but not bad of a bed. Running fan at night shut out the street noise pretty well. I'll stay here again when by myself in Long Beach.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 2206811
Somewhere
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

I failed to read all of the reviews on this property prior to traveling here. I have to say that the rooms were small, but upgraded to modern decor. We rented two rooms one for my wife and I and the other for my mother-in-law and daughter. In my daughter's room when she turned on the AC it smelled like someone had peed in the AC unit. She was forced to open the window instead of use the AC. Despite the no smoking sign on her room and ours the smell of stagnant smoke was very prevalent.

The rooms are very small compared to other motels, but they have been upgraded with granite and tile in the bathroom area. I believe for the price though we would have been better served staying at a Motel 6.

Around 9:00pm I was hungry and decided to order some food. The restaurant across the street served amazing authentic Hispanic food for a very reasonable price. However, my wife was very concerned when I did not return immediately as the neighborhood appeared to be less than upscale and quite possibly dangerous.

When we checked out in the morning the manager was waiting outside our rooms and immediately entered the rooms when I gave him the keys. I felt like we really had an overseer right on our back making sure that we did not steal anything. Not only that there is no waiting area and no lobby to speak of. Just a glass window to shove your id under. I felt like I was at a bank in a dangerous neighborhood.

I would not recommend this place and will not return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family